Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dismantling a classic ride

How would you feel if you were a worker at Disneyland who had to dismantle a classic ride?

I was watching the video of our trip to DL in 2000 and Country Bears Jamboree came on. I couldn't imagine having to dismantle any kind of classic ride. Would you be able to do it? Is there a ride you could never take apart?

• =)

Re: Dismantling a classic ride

If there were absolutely no way the attraction could be kept - it was going to be torn down no matter what - then I'd rather be part of the crew than not. At least I'd get to bid adieu to whatever it was, and I might even get to pocket a couple of mementos while learning a heck of a lot about how the whole thing was built...which in turn would give me more information to work with when I completed my 3D model of whatever attraction it was.

Indy, Space Mountain, Pirates, HM, Big Thunder, the Matterhorn, and Splash Mountain (to a slightly lesser degree) are the attractions I'd be most sorry to see go, as far as Disneyland itself goes. (In DCA, Tower of Terror and Soarin' would also be tragic...Screamin' would be bittersweet, because I'd miss the thrills while simultaneously embracing the possibility of a properly themed attraction replacing it.) They're my favorites, and I'd miss any one of these terribly.

• Off to Neverland

utter sadness

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I'd wear baggy pants and come home with a few goodies.

• Animation Domination

On one hand if I heard that BLAB was being torn down I would be sad.
    On the other hand if I heard that HISTA was being torn down I would have a party.

• Nill

Neither BLAB nor HISTA are really considered classics

I think the OP means rides that have been at Disneyland for more than 30-40 years.

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMousePal View Post
    On one hand if I heard that BLAB was being torn down I would be sad.
    I'd sneak into the demolition site and start helping the workers, whether they'd like it or not!

• Animation Domination

Datameister Wrote:

I'd sneak into the demolition site and start helping the workers, whether they'd like it or not!

You work for Zurg don’t you.

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMousePal View Post
    You work for Zurg donít you.
    Nah, I want those Zurg figures out of Tomorrowland just as much as the rest of the attraction.

• I'm not really here

Oh I'm right with Data... if there was nothing to be done to keep it, then I'd be happier than a tornado in a trailer park to help and possibly keep some swag. Of course, I'd want everything possible to be done to keep it, but if there was really nothing to be done... I'd want to be a part of that crew too.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Here's how you would feel.

After finishing installing a new sensor system on a Metrolink line, you get a call from your boss. You have a new contract at Disneyland, which your construction firm just won. You go into work, and you get briefed on how to take apart the Peoplemover track. You go to the Disneyland, probably worrying where you'll park, and you do your job. You then go home at night, and watch TV. The same can be applied for most of the rides that have been torn down at Disneyland - singing bears, rockets, motor boats, and submarines. These things probably don't matter to workers who are trying to feed their families.

Most of the dispute over Disney tearing out rides in the 90's was not about whether or not it was good to get rid of these rides, but over the replacements. The old submarines needed to be updated. America Sings absolutely needed a different show. The motor boats were boring, and the skyway was tacky. The Peoplemover was outdated. The Rocket Jets, well, that was a bad idea. The point is that the replacements for these rides were the crappy part, and tearing them out wasn't the primary problem. I would have had no problem giving up the Country Bears if they had replaced it with something halfway-decent.

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by dl1955pounds View Post
    Here's how you would feel.

After finishing installing a new sensor system on a Metrolink line, you get a call from your boss. You have a new contract at Disneyland, which your construction firm just won. You go into work, and you get briefed on how to take apart the Peoplemover track. You go to the Disneyland, probably worrying where you'll park, and you do your job. You then go home at night, and watch TV. The same can be applied for most of the rides that have been torn down at Disneyland - singing bears, rockets, motor boats, and submarines. These things probably don't matter to workers who are trying to feed their families.
    That's quite a generalization...what is it about (de)construction workers that makes them unable to be Disneyland fans? And what is it about Disneyland fans that makes it so they can't possibly imagine if they were to be part of the crew without fundamentally changing their own interests and so forth?

• Trouble a'Bruin

I could never take down Tiki Room, unless I could install the entire thing in my living room
    I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing-it was all started by a mouse

• Knight that says Nee!!

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    I'd wear baggy pants and come home with a few goodies.
    Agreed!!

• FastPass n00b

I would like to dismantle the Buzz Lightyear ride. I'll do it for free and would consider paying if necessary. In fact, I'd have more fun demolishing it than I would riding it, haha! I know it's supposed to be this big hit ride and all, but to me it's just not that fun shooting at cardboard from a few feet away. And I never got how toys really fit in with the concept of "Tomorrow".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast