• WouldRatherBeAtDisneyland

Crowds the weekend after Xmas?

My mom's birthday is Sunday December 28th, and we were thinking about going to Disneyland that weekend. Unfortunately, we are afraid the crowds are going to be impossibly huge since it's the weekend after Christmas. Well, either that or they'll be surprisingly small since everyone will be going back home...?

From your experiences, how crowded do you think the parks are going to be that weekend?

• Senior Minion

Re: Crowds the weekend after Xmas?

It is usually the busiest week of the year as far as I know. If you go on the 28th go early and stay late if you can because it usually isn't too bad at those times on Sundays. Also, take advantage of Fastpass. It will be crowded, but if you plan right you can still have a great time even when the park is busy.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• no flash photography...

insanely busy. Don't expect to see the ground all day. expect to walk shoulder to shoulder with people all day.....ummm, lets just say I did not have a magical time when we went on 12/27 and it was a week day when we went that year.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

The only way you'll catch a break is if it rains. That is, as previously mentioned, the park's single busiest week (between the 25th and 1st) each year. I generally make a point of staying away during that week.

And even the normal Sunday night pattern might not be in effect because the kids are out of school and many adults either aren't working the next day - either planned on unplanned time off...

-- Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Destroyer of Mallcore

I recommend going the following weekend if possible. Some people are very picky about when to celebrate their birthday but I celebrated my birthday at Disneyland about 2 months later ;P but the weekend right after seems to have less people because the holidays are officially over (outside of Disneyland) and everyone will be hungover (that wont stop me!)

I've found that crowds are always heavy that time of year since everyone is out of school and Disneyland is decorated for Christmas. And by all means, be on Main Street when Disneyland opens and stay until it closes since you will have much shorter lines in the morning and after 10:30pm.

Thank you all for the responses! We'll probably end up waiting.

I'm 99.9% sure I know the answer to this, but the family still wants me to ask...what about New Year's? haha

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

New Year's is going be BEYOND insane.

• Destroyer of Mallcore

Oh yeah, new years sounds even too much for me and I always go during summer peak seasons. but the weekend after, metal days ;]

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by ElleWoods19 View Post
    Thank you all for the responses! We'll probably end up waiting.

I'm 99.9% sure I know the answer to this, but the family still wants me to ask...what about New Year's? haha
    New Years and 4th of July are the 2 days that reach capacity meaning people are turned away at the gates. 10 foot pole.

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

New Years is one of the busiest days of the year at the park. We've gone several years, and really enjoyed ourselves in spite of that. But we were forewarned about the crowds, and expected things to be crazy.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

What about the Day after New Years? Is it still Busy or just a normal day. (im sure the morning will have no one)

• We Want The Redhead

My own kid attends Los Angeles city schools, which don't return until January 12th. I would expect heavier traffic (though not as bad as December 25-Jan. 1) right up until then.
    First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
    First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
    BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

That's precisely what I thought. I'll just have to convince them (and myself!) to wait until after the new year. Thanks everyone!