• Senior Monorail Minion

The basic issues with DCA

With the DCA refurb going into full swing, all of us have discussed what is wrong with the park.However, I think we blame it's problems on things that aren't really the big problem.

1. Design

When Disneyland opened, it was the first to use the revolutionary design of the hub with spokes. Every land radiated from a central hub. If we look at DCA, they completely ignored that technology. This means more walking to your destination making people tired and irratable. Also, the hub and spokes dewsign would have led to more defined lands.

2. Walkways

The walkways are too wide. They were overcompensating for DL's small walkways. This makes the park seem less personal. Also, there is no shade around PP, wand with the sun in your face and the heat on your neck, it makes everyone uncomfortable.

3. Guest Comfort

Guest comfort doesn't seem to have been considered when it was designed. A lack of quiet areas, relaxation areas, and CUSTOM MUSIC make the area seem desolate. Had they made the park a little smaller, things would be more high enery.

In my personal opinion, there wasn't a real lack of theming in DCA, it just wasn't defined enough. It was just laid out so poorly that it makes you uncomfortable.

Discuss!
    Last edited by Eric5675; 12-10-2008 at 10:31 PM.
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

• Senior Minion

Re: The basic issues with DCA

Those are big factors that may be somewhat under appreciated, but there are many other factors that are equally problematic. This has been talked about so much that I really don't feel like going into them all, but I'm sure others will, so let the fireworks begin...
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• =)

IMHO, these are only a few of DCA's many major problems, and probably not the worst of them, though they're certainly significant. I doubt I'll contribute much to this thread because I've kinda already said it all before, as many of us have, but if something new is brought to the table, I'll probably weigh in for or against it.

I do want to address the hub-and-spokes design, though - it was hardly "revolutionary." It's great that they implemented it, yes, and not many amusement parks had used that sort of design, I don't think, but the idea had been around for a long time in other contexts. Off-topic, though. And I agree that something closer to it should have been used for DCA. (Replicating the layout exactly wouldn't be a good route, though.)

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

I like the big walkways more room to well walk. It also makes the park seem less crowded. The design of the park is the worst part, I cant wait for all the new themes coming in the next couple of years.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Discuss? Again? And your talking points are missing much of what made DCA a failure out of the gate.

Here's the thread for all that made DCA a failure: DCA: AN interesting look back at the last 4+ years

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Layout is certainly one of DCA's biggest problems because it's something that realistically cannot be changed any more. It'd be too costly to fix at this point.

Sadly, even the $1.1 billion pumped into DCA does not fix any of the real problems. It creates all new ones or adds to existing issues. but at least... it gives us more to do, which was another problem.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Layout is certainly one of DCA's biggest problems because it's something that realistically cannot be changed any more. It'd be too costly to fix at this point.

Sadly, even the $1.1 billion pumped into DCA does not fix any of the real problems. It creates all new ones or adds to existing issues. but at least... it gives us more to do, which was another problem.
    I disagree, while they aren't changing as much as I'd like, they're changing some significant things. Closing the HPB to CL pathway will be a huge improvement. Also, there will be some changes that will effect some of the walkways size. They're also eliminating most of the modern thematic aspects in phase 1 and it will continue in phase two.

One of the most significant changes though is a fundamental restructuring of the lands, which seems will continue in phase 2 and beyond to really complete the process. This will fix a lot of the major thematic problems of the layout.

PP will now have a more unified design and have clearer boaders taking up the entire area around the bay. The new entrance will completely transform the feel of the whole park and flow beautifully right into HPB. Eventually HPB will become Hollywoodland and loose the horid backlot idea and go even more perfectly with Buena Vista St is a large well themed LA district.

The thematic mix and match mess that is Golden State will be carved up into more the new more cohesive lands that will make up the park. Some will be taken by CL, the Grizzly area and CF will be combined into a unfied High Sierra feel and hopefully the rumors of a real SF district in the Wharf and some of the surrounding area will be made to finally remove GS. Hopefully when they do that they can also further separate PP from this new SF district, narrow the entrance and define its boarders better.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Agree with you CoheteBoy.

And really, the new entry area will be much nicer, and more welcoming, but DCA still will not have the spoke and hub design that have set the stage and got the guests to the center of the park with ease. It will also restrict the new parade route to the back half of DCA, instead of being able to view it from DCA's new "main street". There still will be no easy trasportation mode circling DCA, either, or to get to Paradise Pier. And even with connecting Carsland to Hollywood, you STILL don't end up with a central hub, that eases navigating through DCA.

• Senior Minion

I agree that the parade route could be an issue. I don't really care if it goes through BV St, but it doesn't seem like it will really help traffic flow during the parade with it cutting the park in half. I also agree that the internal transportation options still need to be improved. In regard to the hub, yeah it will never have one large central hub, but I don't think that is absolutely necessary. With all the new icons that are being added and the new pathways it should make it much easier to navigate. It's basically going to be a double figure 8 type layout which should work much better then it does now. The layout problems are big, but I don't it's completely unsalvageable at all.
    -Walt Disney

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    Here's the thread for all that made DCA a failure: DCA: AN interesting look back at the last 4+ years
    Thanks Aladdin.

Really, the basic issue with DCA is right there in that thread, running through every article that is quoted: the astonishingly arrogant mindset of Disney management. And if you think it has changed, I got a few million dollars worth of monorail windows to sell you.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Rock Star Minion

You mean, we've been discussing this for the last eight years here (and elsewhere)?
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."