Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Greetings, Program!

Thumbs up The Eo/Star Tours opening all-weekend parties - Who was there?

I was fortunate enough to have attended both of these INCREDIBLE events back in 1986 and '87. It was one of the absolutely coolest things I'd ever experienced. I use the singular "it" primarily because the memories of both events kind of blend together for me. Both were all-weekend affairs, both involved a whole-LOTTA sleep deprivation, and both were celebrated with the same pack of high school buddies.

Good god, how I wish I could play it all back. The memories I have are just amazing, but I wish I could recall it by the second. All of Tomorrowland was decked out in blinding lights and slashing lasers the likes of which I usually only see at a Rush concert. The Matterhorn seemed to glow and hum with laser brilliance. The music from various sci-fi epics being piped into the park seemed to bring a new breed of magic to the place that hasn't been replicated since. It was somehow like a Super-Disneyland.

The bonding and the comeraderie with my friends was probably the most spectacular thing about it. The planning of the trip the previous Friday, the staging area in which we assembled (the glowing Hotel waterfalls back when you could still walk around down there at night ), the shared hot chocolates, the loss of voice from screaming in sheer delight so often. It was all so much incredible fun that nobody in the group minded the unearthly 4+ hour wait in line for the attractions being celebrated (although I must admit I was a touch more excited with the ST opening than I was EO).

Some of the things that stand out for me most:
    - Our group was actually permitted to sleep on the DL Railroad, in the back car, as the train circled endlessly. The CM's were extra cool to us (although because it may have been that we had some grade-A cuties in our group - Deanne, Kath, Kim....miss ya)!
    - Some of us had actual weekend jobs at that time we couldn't get out of, but we had day shifts so it all worked out. Leaving work at the video store that Saturday afternoon only to be picked up by my friends and taken straight back to Disneyland for a second all-night party in a row was just the best feeling.
    - So many of us had assembled for this that we ended up having two massive groups trying to meet up. This was before cell phones, mind you, so it was easier said than done. When we all managed to accidentally run into each other at Snow White's Wishing Well, we came together in hugs as if we'd not seen each other in years.

The weekends were probably my most memorable ever spent at the park. It took a little bit of time to handle the fact that I'd never see Inner Space again, but hey......Star Tours was surreal an experience in itself the first time around.

So who else was there? Who else was a part of this historical party? Ohhhh, I was not worthy!

If you were there too, tell us what you can remember!
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

• Santa Barbara, CA

I was there as well and saw Jacko in his surgical mask in the back of the house. It was all pretty cool as I was new to the company and just assumed all parties were this well done.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • June 3rd, 2011

Damn, I wish I still had the Captain Eo Shirts and Star Tours watch they were giving away on those weekends. I was so tanked both of those weekends that I hardly remember anything. I do remember 10 of us in a small Toyota Civic driving there for the EO weekend and remember hitting Star Tours at 3:00 am drunk on my butt after going out and celebrating my sister's birthday earlier that night.
    PirateMunkee

Visit My Horror Designs Store!!!

• Social Imagineer

Yep, those were two awesome events. But the crowds were such a nightmare for Disney in comparison to the 25th and 30th Birthday overnighters that they have never done an overnighter since and I fear we will not be getting one for the 50th.

I was there for the EO one - I had that shirt for a loooong time. The only thing I can really recall from it was a loooong line. I think I was in 6th grade?

I wish I kept that shirt, lol

• Greetings, Program!

Quote Originally Posted by innerSpaceman
    Yep, those were two awesome events. But the crowds were such a nightmare for Disney in comparison to the 25th and 30th Birthday overnighters that they have never done an overnighter since and I fear we will not be getting one for the 50th.
    I'd say your prediction has a 98.4% chance of accuracy. It's a different world than the one we had 20 years ago. I'm sure it would be a much larger guest control nightmare and the chance of disaster is much higher.

Although I gotta say that even if they were to have that kind of party for the 50th, I doubt I'd have the drive to stay alert for another one of those. I'm just not a teenager anymore.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

• The Uber Film Geek

I miss Captain EO. It was worlds better than HISTA.

*pulls open jacket to reveal rainbow shirt*

This was my brother's favorite attractio, so the last time we were at Disneyland while it was operating (1997 or so) we were told that it was going to be taken out, and therefore we watched it atleast 6-7 times during those three days.
    My DVDs
    "Every view they hold on you's a piano out of tune
    You're an angel, you're a demon, you're just.... human." - James, Lullaby

I was at both too !!!

Star Tours
    I remember being near the front to see George Lucas, C3PO & R2D2 cut the ribbon with an light saber! I was one on the first 50 people that morning to get on the ride. (in fact - if you ever see an promotional picture by Disney with R2D2 & C3PO near the entrance at the grand opening, I'm in the picture behind them!!)

Captain EO
    I got off my job in Palm Springs at 2am and headed to Disneyland. When I got in the Park at 4am the line for EO was at the Main Street Train Station!!!! They said it was a 6 hour wait!! Instead I did other rides and got into the line inside of Tomorrowland at about 7am, was only a 1 1/2 hour wait then. Got my free T-shirt and watch. Left in the afternoon and went straight back to work, ( oh the crazy things you can do when young!!!!)

• Super saucy pixie!

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Orville
    I was there as well and saw Jacko in his surgical mask in the back of the house. It was all pretty cool as I was new to the company and just assumed all parties were this well done.
    God I miss Captain EO... So cool. HISTA was such a let down. One thing I make a point never to visit! Such an outdated concept. Those films had been out forever by the time that premiered.
    But hey hey now, Jackson not Jacko. He's my neighbor, be nice!

• Super saucy pixie!

Quote Originally Posted by PirateMunkee
    Damn, I wish I still had the Captain Eo Shirts and Star Tours watch they were giving away on those weekends. I was so tanked both of those weekends that I hardly remember anything. I do remember 10 of us in a small Toyota Civic driving there for the EO weekend and remember hitting Star Tours at 3:00 am drunk on my butt after going out and celebrating my sister's birthday earlier that night.
    I've seen those EO opening shirts on Ebay just so you know!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • June 3rd, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbell
    I've seen those EO opening shirts on Ebay just so you know!
    That's what I wanted my old one for :devil:
    PirateMunkee

Visit My Horror Designs Store!!!

• Santa Barbara, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbell
    He's my neighbor, be nice!

"Hi Neighbor"- Dennis Hopper in Blue Velvet.

Either you live in BH, Bel Air or San Ysidro, or you have not heard that he has been the sole distributor of 100 proof "Jesus Juice' in a can to the lost boys. I was buying his SOP spiel, thinking he had a severe case of Peter Pan syndrome, till that one kid identified his "second sore to the right". As you say, innocent till they are old enough to spell "proven guilty". :devil:

You're right. We'll be nice.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Santa Barbara, CA

Oops. Los Olivos..ok. you can ck out his mail.

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Gift Giver Extraordinare

I remember attending both events and seeing the line stretched to Main Street for Captain Eo. Star Tours had an equally long line during the 60 hour party. I still have my Eo shirt. It's a child's small, otherwise I'd bust it out on occaision.

• Super saucy pixie!

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Orville
    "Hi Neighbor"- Dennis Hopper in Blue Velvet.

Either you live in BH, Bel Air or San Ysidro, or you have not heard that he has been the sole distributor of 100 proof "Jesus Juice' in a can to the lost boys. I was buying his SOP spiel, thinking he had a severe case of Peter Pan syndrome, till that one kid identified his "second sore to the right". As you say, innocent till they are old enough to spell "proven guilty". :devil:

You're right. We'll be nice.
    Maaaaan, eeeease! I know I make it a point not to trash someone I don't know personally and it would be refreshing to see that of others too. This is totally not the forum to talk about him in, bad or good, but you really should do your research before you form your opinions. Idle gossip is not grounds to form anything but an ignorant opinion. You're talking to someone very informed on the matter and if you take my word for anything, which I'm sure you won't, he's innocent. Until then, chill out. It's not your problem. Back to Disney talk please.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast