• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Stunning rare 1957 Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough concept art by Eyvind Earle

Kevin Kidney, who is known by Disneyland fans for his incredible work on many of Disneyland's 50th Anniversary collectibles that were sold on DisneyShopping.com as well as some of the Enchanted Tiki Room 40th Anniversary collectibles, has a really great blog post showcasing many of the rare 1957 Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough concept paintings by Eyvind Earle.

The images truly reveal how much Tony Baxter and his team respected and appreciated the original Walkthrough and the original Earle concepts. It's remarkable how close the concept art looks when compared to the newly re-opened Walkthrough.

You can see all of the concept paintings and read some interesting info about the Walkthrough art Kevin Kidney's blog: Kevin Kidney: Hail Aurora!

Here are a few of the concept paintings...

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: Stunning rare 1957 Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough concept art by Eyvind Earle

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    Kevin Kidney, who is known by Disneyland fans for his incredible work on many of Disneyland's 50th Anniversary collectibles that were sold on DisneyShopping.com as well as some of the Enchanted Tiki Room 40th Anniversary collectibles, has a really great blog post showcasing many of the rare 1957 Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough concept paintings by Eyvind Earle.

The images truly reveal how much Tony Baxter and his team respected and appreciated the original Walkthrough and the original Earle concepts. It's remarkable how close the concept art looks when compared to the newly re-opened Walkthrough.

You can see all of the concept paintings and read some interesting info about the Walkthrough art Kevin Kidney's blog: Kevin Kidney: Hail Aurora!
    They're stunning, alright, but I wouldn't call them rare. They've been posted many times in many places.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Re: Stunning rare 1957 Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough concept art by Eyvind Earle

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    They're stunning, alright, but I wouldn't call them rare. They've been posted many times in many places.
    I know Disney re-released a couple of them to the media when they first announced the re-opening of the Walkthrough, but I haven't seen them much of anywhere else. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places... My bad.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Minion

FYI -- Large sized reproductions of nearly all of the Earle castle pieces are hanging in the convention center/banquet room hallway of the Disneyland Hotel on the second floor. Well worth a trip over there if you like this art.

• Knight that says Nee!!

Last week end was my first chance to do the castle walk through now that it is back, and includes improvements. Many of those scenes are "brought to life" very well in it.

• hugs and peaches!!!

Those are absolutely amazing!!!! Love 'em!!
    "Won't you please be my prisoner, please, please, please!"
    "I do not like the cone of shame"
    "Oh! A ball! Oh boy! Oh boy! a ball!!"
    "Hey, I know a joke! A squirrel walks up to a tree and says, "I forgot to store acorns for the winter and now I am dead." Ha! It is funny because the squirrel gets dead."
    "I hid under your porch because I love you."

-Dug=the cutest dog ever!!

• The Pirate Girl

Oh, wow. That's great. Thanks for sharing!
    For certain you must be lost to find the places that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was.

• Fortuosity!

They were also included on the 2003 Sleeping Beauty DVD. They're nice, no doubt about it, but "rare" is a bit much.
    I like The Happiest Millionaire. What's wrong with that?

Very nice! I really like his blog.
    ap·pur·te·nant – adjective: appertaining or belonging; pertaining.

...to Disneyland.

• Goofy

nice.

Pic #2 in MG's original post was made available for sale years ago as a reproduction. I got one and was lucky enough to have Mr. Earle himself autograph it.
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

The original paintings for these images, as well as subsequent editions that have been produced from them, are indeed rare and very valuable, as evidenced by a visit to any art gallery website featuring Earle's work. (Do a search sometime; it's fascinating to see his non-Disney pieces as well.)

For many years, these galleries were the only source I could find for images of the old walk-through.