Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs up Saturday night Big Band and Swing Dance at Carnation plaza! AWESOME!

For anyone who has not had the opportunity to listen to live Big Band and do some dancing right in the heart of magical Disneyland I urge you to get over to Carnation Plaza on Saturday nights! It is so much fun! I myself do not yet know how to dance swing but I am looking forward to taking some lessons so I can be a part of the dance floor action, but for now I enjoy watching the excellent dancers and listening to the amazing musicians preform great music! Thank you Disneyland for keeping this incredible Saturday night tradition going, it is a very special treat!! And a special hat tip goes to the incredible dancers who have some amazing outfits and hats as well! Where on earth do you get all those vintage suits and dresses? You all look fabulous!

P.S does anyone have any good recommendations for a Dance school to learn the art of "Swing"? In Los Angeles area?

Thanks again!

• I'm not really here

Re: Saturday night Big Band and Swing Dance at Carnation plaza! AWESOME!

Wow, I'm glad they still do this! No recommendations for you as I'm from Utah, but I hope you find one. If you were up here I'd recommend the Swing Kids club. Check with local universities, some offer clubs through their dance programs (Swing Kids is through BYU).

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Thumbs up Re: Saturday night Big Band and Swing Dance at Carnation plaza! AWESOME!

Thanks so much for the tip!

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

Besides EBay, there are at least two sites where people go to buy clothing for swing dancing. I'm just finishing up today being in a play that takes place in 1957 and had to come up with two costumes so I found these site doing research for that:

Hey, Viv

and

Bowling Shirt

There are also Vintage stores located in various cities. For instance near where I live there are several in Long Beach.

This is a fun hobby to get into.

Thanks so much for the clothing shopping tips, I will give them a shot. I really like the idea of dressing up in 30's and 40's attire especially at DisneyLand!

P.S did anyone else get a chance to see the 50's band playing at Tommorow Land Terrace last night Sat. Dec 13, 2008? I was in heaven! 40's Big Band playing and Swing Dancing in Carnation Plaza and 50's Rockabilly music with the musicians dressed in 50's attire at Tommorow Land Terrace! That was truly a dream come true! I hope I get a chance to see that line up again!
    MAGICAL! ! ! ! !

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

I love the big band and swing dancing at Carnation plaza. It never fails to impress.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Its been a while since I've had a chance to stop by and see the Big Bands there, but I've enjoyed listening to them for years.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Senior Minion

It would be cool if they did the same type of thing in DCA's beer garden area after the remodel. Maybe they could make it Friday night.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by CAspace View Post
    For anyone who has not had the opportunity to listen to live Big Band and do some dancing right in the heart of magical Disneyland I urge you to get over to Carnation Plaza on Saturday nights! It is so much fun! I myself do not yet know how to dance swing but I am looking forward to taking some lessons so I can be a part of the dance floor action, but for now I enjoy watching the excellent dancers and listening to the amazing musicians preform great music! Thank you Disneyland for keeping this incredible Saturday night tradition going, it is a very special treat!! And a special hat tip goes to the incredible dancers who have some amazing outfits and hats as well! Where on earth do you get all those vintage suits and dresses? You all look fabulous!

P.S does anyone have any good recommendations for a Dance school to learn the art of "Swing"? In Los Angeles area?

Thanks again!
    Pasadena Ballroom Dance Association Pasadena Ballroom is one I particularly enjoy. Run by sisters. Some folks don't like their approach because they are pretty focused on teaching their style only, but I've enjoyed it.

• "I Break Things"

Not sure which band it was... but Tink an I went about a month ago and had a pretty bad experience. Again might have been an off night, but the majority of the music reminded me of a Met-Life Cruise Ship blend...

Aside from that specific experience I have had a wonderful time enjoying a variety of bands over the years. At one point I was a "regular" who would change out after my shift was over and have some fun.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Not sure which band it was... but Tink an I went about a month ago and had a pretty bad experience. Again might have been an off night, but the majority of the music reminded me of a Met-Life Cruise Ship blend...

Aside from that specific experience I have had a wonderful time enjoying a variety of bands over the years. At one point I was a "regular" who would change out after my shift was over and have some fun.
    Some of the bands are real bands, and they play together regularly so they are properly tight and together - and you can tell. When a true band has played together for years they can toss the lead back and forth like a beachball and it sounds effortless, you can actually have someone stand up front with a baton and point between members at (almost) random.

The music pops when they're all in total sync. When they get together, Play is the operative word - Fun isn't work.

Others are the leader and a few core regulars that usually are a Trio at bars, and whenever they can pick up a booking for a Swing Band they call the Musicians Local Union Hall and leave an order list for everyone else they need, and they get whoever is available and at the top of the call list...

The playing is about as crisp as a wet sponge because half of them have never met before they got there, let alone spent any rehearsal hall time together. (They might get there an hour early to get on the same page for intros and fades, but even that would surprise me.)

Unfortunately I didn't take notes on which are the good bands Vs. the bad, but there are those who do.

They used to do Swing Dance Classes during the first set of the night, but that was when they had bands on both Friday and Saturday. But since I fall under the genus of HomoSapiens sub-species "DosLeftFootus" ...

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• I Miss Carnation Plaza

Quote Originally Posted by NDNation View Post
    Pasadena Ballroom Dance Association Pasadena Ballroom is one I particularly enjoy. Run by sisters. Some folks don't like their approach because they are pretty focused on teaching their style only, but I've enjoyed it.
    I've taken lessons from many places, including Pasadena Ballroom Dance Association (PBDA), and I like their approach the best, for SOCIAL dancing.

I think what makes or breaks it for people who learn to dance is why they want to learn in the first place. As far as I can tell, there are 3 major reasons why people want to learn to social dance:

1. They are single, and want a good way to meet other single people with a fun hobby.
    2. They are a couple, and one of them really wants to learn to dance, and the other one just wants their partner to be happy (and doesn't want to be left out).
    3. They are a couple, and they both want to perform for others and not dance much with other strangers (i.e. dance like those people on Dancing with the Stars).

PBDA is *great* for people in group #1. They strongly encourage partner rotation, and this is essential for getting past your own ego and making you much more receptive to dancing with people you wouldn't even consider dancing with. PBDA is OK for people in group #2, but I have to warn you - it's going to be mega-frustrating to be watching your partner getting better faster than you. Group #3 should probably go with Arhtur Murray dance studios or private instruction. You will NOT learn ballroom performance dance with PBDA.

PBDA actually used to teach at Disneyland in years past - the beginner classes pretty much assume you know absolutely nothing. You will strongly encouraged to dance with everyone else in the class that day, and I mean kids who are 12 all the way up to folks who are so old you're maybe not sure they can handle the moves safely. But they will. If you're a guy you'll get past your fear of "doing the wrong thing" and the kindly old ladies there will help you through your ineptitude before you attempt to approach the snooty 21-year olds at dances. In other words, you likely won't meet anyone at PBDA as a single person taking lessons, but you'll get so much better that you'll have no trouble impressing your future lady when you get to Disneyland some Saturday night!

By the way, I know this because I met my wife swing dancing. And yes, we still go to Disneyland on Saturday nights and dance to Stompy Jones, Swingtown, Doc Anelo and Gary Tole.

• I Miss Carnation Plaza

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    Unfortunately I didn't take notes on which are the good bands Vs. the bad, but there are those who do.

They used to do Swing Dance Classes during the first set of the night, but that was when they had bands on both Friday and Saturday.
    Disneyland still does Friday and Saturday nights, but only during the summer months. They usually have 4-5 bands in regular rotation, and they are very strict about the conduct of the bands. So if a band has a few "off-nights", they are often quickly replaced by another - I'm assuming this gig pays well, because one on the rotation now, Stompy Jones, is based out of San Francisco so those guys have to travel down whenever they play.

Doc Anelo has probably been playing the longest - his is a traditional big-band experience, and they'll whip out big band swing classics but also some other traditional non-swing songs that are more appropriate for cha-cha and waltz occasionally.

Stompy Jones (formerly Swing Session) is a small horn, bass and sax band that recently got a new younger lead singer this year. Prior to that they were one of *the* most popular swing bands in San Francisco and Los Angeles, and were VERY busy. Unfortunately, their lead singer Pops fell ill and it took them a good while to find a permanent lead singer, so I think they're still finding their new sound. But I find their musicianship to be top notch for dancing.

I think Disneyland does a pretty good job of screening their bands to appeal to not only dancers, but the family audiences who come and watch. What makes a good band for dancing is not necessarily good for audiences and vice-versa, but Disneyland seems to a good effort at appeasing both groups. They also have a mix-cd that plays popular swing and ballroom tunes that comes on between the sets which the regular dancers enjoy dancing to for warmup and fun. I think they update that CD maybe every 1 or 2 months.

If you're interested in seeing these same dancers in other settings, I can recommend some *very* different venues that might be of interest. Lindygroove ($7) is in Pasadena on Thursday nights and it's all DJ-ed music, but it appeals to a very young crowd and you see some good dancers there. Lots of young singles but it can be quite intimidating if you are just a beginner. Plus, it has a "meet-market" feel to it - if you're a young attractive woman be prepared to be approached, and if you're a guy, you have to get over approach anxiety. Pasadena Ballroom Dance Association ($15) hosts Saturday night dances as well, but they almost always live bands. Good mix of older and younger folks here, less intimidating, but also more low key and relaxed. Atomic Ballroom ($8) in Irvine is similar to PBDA but just slightly younger and the venue is slightly smaller too, again, mostly DJ-ed music. I haven't been there in 2 years though, so my info on Atomic might be slightly out-dated. I used to go to Memories in Whittier, but it's been several years so my info is probably out-dated there as well.

• "I Break Things"

Ahh the memories of seeing some of the headliners like Brian's... or BBVD (both at the Palace in Hollywood I might add) even hearing RCR live... it's difficult to have a large brass band but the sound is amazing!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Thumbs up Re: Saturday night Big Band and Swing Dance at Carnation plaza! AWESOME!

Thanks Pretzel for that detailed information regarding the classes and venues and opportunities available for dancing! I am very much looking forward to learning how to dance starting from the ground up! Thanks for sharing your personal story regarding how you met your wife dancing as well, I love hearing about relationships and marriages that began by just meeting someone doing something you love (as opposed to set ups and blind dates) Looking forward to joining you all on the dance floor someday soon!
    Thanks again for the tips!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast