Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Favorite attraction sound design?

I am speaking here of "rides" versus theater presentations. By sound design, I would qualify that as both music, song, sound effects and dialogue working together, and you can be as specific (a certain scene or area of a attraction, or even specific sounds) or general (a whole ride's audio components.)

My favorites would have to be:

1) The Matterhorn. I am at times tempted to burn a whole cd of just the area tracks and ride sounds, it would be quite relaxing I think. The wind whooshing effects and the ice cave "tinkling" noises along with Harold's growls and roars are very atmospheric and well done, I love just stopping to listen to them especially at night and I am around that area of the park.

2) The Haunted Mansion, portrait hallway and the corridor of doors. The portrait hallway is a personal favorite, with the thunder and lightning and almost subliminable arrangement of grim grinning ghosts via the wind, and the subtle chiming bell noise. The corridor of doors is another favorite, with the cries from the man trapped in the coffin, the knocking and banging, and various moans, screams, and laughs even though some are bit cheesy.

3) The now-extinct Haunted Mansion attic, with the wedding march on piano, the I-Do moaning popup heads, and the much louder beating heart sound effect.

What are your favorites?

• =)

Re: Favorite attraction sound design?

Oooooh, man, I have a lot of favorites in this department. The Matterhorn and HM are of course on the list for the reasons you described. I'm also in love with the sound design of:

* Space Mountain: Everything from the queue sound effects to the on-ride music is just fantastic.
    * Big Thunder Mountain Railroad: I just love the whistle and recorded clatter of the train. And the various animal sounds. And the earthquake in the mine. And just about anything you hear on the ride.
    * Pirates of the Caribbean (pre-refurb): The original POTC was so sonically amazing. The music worked great, of course, but there were also intentionally music-less areas that just used sound effects and dialogue. The current version isn't horrible or anything like that...but the new music really does screw up the variety and tasteful use of musiclessness.
    * Indiana Jones Adventure: The queue tracks are SO creepy. Love 'em. And all the music in the queue and attraction is absolutely masterful, with sound effects (e.g. the darts) making the experience all the more amazing. Plus it's the only attraction I can think of with subwoofers so loud they can be heard over 300 feet away!

• We Want The Redhead

I'm partial to the extended loop at the Jungle Cruise, complete with music, news and weather reports.
    First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
    First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
    BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Good points all, Data....sadly one of my favorite ride dialogue tracks went away when they cluttered up Pirates with the new movie stuff. I like the Davy Jones mist effect, personally...but I'd much rather it went away if the ghostly voices in that section of the caves came back. The player piano and the laughter in the captain's quarters/drinking skeletons scene is another favorite, and the Indiana Jones queue holds another favorite, the weird music and the bat squeaking in the bat cave section.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I'm going to have to say the Stretching room at Walt Disney World. I was just wowed.

• Mischievous Mouse

Splash Mountain - HANDS DOWN!! I just love the whole musical track and design.

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

• The Dudester

Quote Originally Posted by darkfairycthulu View Post
    Good points all, Data....sadly one of my favorite ride dialogue tracks went away when they cluttered up Pirates with the new movie stuff. I like the Davy Jones mist effect, personally...but I'd much rather it went away if the ghostly voices in that section of the caves came back. The player piano and the laughter in the captain's quarters/drinking skeletons scene is another favorite, and the Indiana Jones queue holds another favorite, the weird music and the bat squeaking in the bat cave section.

While I've never really complained about the new POTC (I think it's a fantastic ride either way), I must say I miss "Properly warned ye be, says I"

What a great line!

• Knight that says Nee!!

I like all the soundtrack/effects in the HM

The classic soundtrack/effects in PotC

The Droid banter in the Star Tours queue

• Nill

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    * Indiana Jones Adventure: The queue tracks are SO creepy. Love 'em. And all the music in the queue and attraction is absolutely masterful, with sound effects (e.g. the darts) making the experience all the more amazing. Plus it's the only attraction I can think of with subwoofers so loud they can be heard over 300 feet away!
    Haha, last night while I walking back to the structure from the tram stop I heard a bunch of people say they hear "thunder" from the rainstorm. But it was just Indy, haha.

I too, of course, like Indy's queue and ride music. I also like ToT's music/ambience sounds. I also love the score for Soarin'.

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

For me, my favorites are the music in Haunted Mansion and the Jungle Cruise loop.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• revolutionary waltz

Soarin' has absolutely amazing music, even if it hasn't reached the level of "classic" that say--Haunted Mansion has with fans.

• =)

Absolutely. As far as I'm concerned, Soarin' features one of the very best original scores ever written for a theme park attraction. So perfect for the attraction, and so perfect as a standalone piece to listen to, play, dream about, etc...DCA has plenty of problems, but the music of Soarin' is one thing they did 100% right from the get-go.

• I'm not really here

*Soarin' - Queue, Loading, Ride, Exit. All the music is simply phenomenal and should be nominated for an Oscar.

*Taste Pilot's Grill - Never before have I heard so many musical puns about flight. Brilliant selection of songs

*Indy - The outdoor queue area music tracks are sensational, and the effects in the caverns of the queue can be really chilling if you let yourself get really into it all.

*iasw - The most malleable song ever written. This song works in ANY style imaginable. My hat off to the Sherman bros. for an outstanding song that has withstood the test of time. Like it or hate it, you have an opinion of that song.

*Pirates - specifically the Blue Bayou sequence at the start. That is one seriously immersive environment.

*Rancho del Zocalo - area effects and music, especially at night.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• You didn't see anything!

Blog Entries

- Star Tours Droid Room: I listen to this track on the Remember the Moments CD all the time and it's so catchy!
    - Star Tours comet scene: During this part of the ride, I always shut my eyes just to listen to the orchestral parts. So awesome!

And I also love Soarin', Space Mountain, Haunted Mansion, AND California Screamin's soundtracks.

• always, the freaky cat

Big Thunder has got to be one of my favorites. The sound of the train circling around the butte is wonderful!

Pirates is good; the only thing I don't like about pirates is Davy Jones' voice on the lift hill at the end. That just seems both annoying and tacky. But the rest of the ride, including the new music, I like.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast