12/17: An Amazing Rainy Solo Day (Two Photos Added)

Hey guys, this is my first ever trip report. I’m currently at the DLR for my Christmastime trip and though I have gone every day this week and will go again tomorrow morning and all day Friday, I wanted to share today, a particularly fun (and very wet) day, with you guys.

Being from the San Francisco Bay Area, I try to visit the DLR at least three times a year (Spring, Summer, and Christmas). I’ve got an AP so I never need to worry about finding solid times to go. However, sometimes it’s difficult to find someone to go with me every day of the trip that I am here so I’ve gone solo quite a few times, always fun. However, I’ve never gone solo IN THE RAIN and I must say, it is AWESOME! It is truly like having the park to one’s self. The longest wait time I saw posted was for TSMM at DCA, which was 20mins, all the rest was walk on all day. At around 4pm, Space was at 5min and Indy at 10min.

I started the day off with Space Mountain, then hit Pirates and had a boat all to my self, then went on Haunted Mansion Holiday, then finally I got to ride Splash twice in a row, once with a log all to myself. I figured, it was already pouring rain, how much wetter could I get?

For lunch, I enjoyed some Pommes Frites and a Monte Cristo at Café Orleans, I nice way to get out of the rain. After that, I rode BLAB and got a score of about 256,000, not my best, but fun as always. Then, I spent a whopping 2 hours in Innoventions, something I never thought possible. It was, however, very enjoyable. I really enjoyed hearing all the Dream House demonstrations and then walked around, played a few games, and then saw Asimo, something I had never done before.

After than, I rode Space again, then it was off to DCA where I rode CA Screamin’ and I must say, it is painful in the rain, the rain felt like hail hitting my face and I could barely kep my eyes open, but at the same time a great experience that I highly recommend. After that I went on Soarin’ and then finally it was back to DL to ride the DL Railroad around the park two times.

To end the say, my girlfriend (who was busy today) and who happens to have her family down here, met me for dinner in Downtown Disney. We ate at Catal. It was wonderful.

It was announced that the parks would close early today (DL 9pm, DCA 6pm) due to the bad weather.

Sorry this is so long. I’ve got pictures, but no time to upload them right now. I just wanted to share an awesome day with you guys. To anyone who ever has any reservations about going it alone, don’t be afraid, it is a little awkward at first, that feeling disappears quickly, and while it is always fund to have friends/family around, going it solo is an experience unique to its own that it extremely fun, relaxing, and you will see the park in a whole new way!

(EDIT: Here are two pics. The first taken around 12:30, the second at around 2:30. Sorry they aren't great. They were taken with my cell phone and due to the rain I couldn't get too artsy. I've got some more pictures from the other days of my trip (and I'm sure more will be taken before I leave) that I will post in a separate thread later! Enjoy!)

Last edited by judino28; 12-18-2008 at 09:37 AM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Re: 12/17: An Amazing Rainy Solo Day

Judino - Thanks for your first trip report. I'm looking forward to your shots. What a great day, huh? I was there until about 11 AM this morning, and I watched as dozens of people had umbrellas blown inside out, hats blown off, etc, etc. The wind was really getting pretty nasty when I left...strong enough to shake my Tundra on Ball Rd on the way home.

I would agree that going solo can be amazing. Today I sat with my mocha on the porch of the China Closet and just listened to the Christmas music and watched the rain coming down....along with all of the people getting blown sideways. When I'm with my kids, I'm on THEIR schedule, but when I'm alone, I can take an extra couple laps on the Mark Twain and no one screams. Congrats on a great day, and I can't wait to see your rainy day photos later.

Those gusts of wind were nasty indeed. Around 3 when headed over to DCA, the wind and rain were bad enough to blow my hood off several times and then again when riding the DLRR around 5, you could really see the steam being blown away as well as hear and feel the rain pick up a lot at times.

•   
    • My liver hurts!

Can't wait for the pics!!
    Quote Originally Posted by PEZZ Lightyear View Post
    Try the Hello Te-Kitty-la.

• Mrs. J. Depp

CA Screamin in the rain is the best!! I agree it can be painful, but it's sort of a good pain. And also it's tons of fun!

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

my shift actually got cancelled today due to the fact that the park closed at 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Kritter View Post
    my shift actually got cancelled today due to the fact that the park closed at 9.
    I'm really sorry to hear that. I over heard one of the CM's at CA Screamin' saying how he felt bad that all the closing shift people would be loosing their hours.

I think that it's important to remember that while it is bad when some people complain to City Hall because the hours were cut or stuff is canceled, it also affects the hard working CMs who loose hours and thus money when stuff like that happens.

• Dream'n w/Blue Sky

What fun you had!!!!

I think I'll add riding Screamin in the rain to my Bucketlist
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Silent Lucidity

Re: 12/17: An Amazing Rainy Solo Day (Two Photos Added)

Quote Originally Posted by judino28 View Post
    However, I’ve never gone solo IN THE RAIN and I must say, it is AWESOME! It is truly like having the park to one’s self.
    We just got home yesterday from three days at DL. Our best day was Monday, same reason, Rain! We walked onto every ride, it was great! We had our own boat for IASW, just the two of us, in our blue shake-n-bake bags, holding an umbrella. The rain stopped as the day went on, but the rain in the morning kept the crowds down for the rest of the day. And, amazingly, we had fireworks every night!

Thanks for the TR!

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

My daughter and I were there yesterday too. That rain and wind were something. Our poor feet were soaked. I think I need boots No pictures from me as I didn't even bother to take the camera. It was nice to be indoors for the Billy Hill show at 4 and dry off!

• Goofy

good trip report. thanks for sharing.