• always, the freaky cat

Tall Trees Behind the Castle

The use of forced perspective at Disneyland is wonderful. However, looking at the castle from Main Street, it seems to me that the effect is ruined by the large trees behind the castle. Forced perspective makes the castle appear taller than it is; the trees make it appear smaller.

Do you think Disneyland should replace those tall trees (I think they're sycamore) with something shorter?

To see a picture of what I'm talking about, you can follow the link below to a pic I found searching the web. The beautiful shots of the castle on the "It's Freezing" thread also show this...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2110/...f21a75.jpg?v=0

Re: Tall Trees Behind the Castle

I have noticed in the last few years that Disneyland has let many of the trees get too large. For instance, the trees around Tarzan's Tree House.
    Once upon a time, the tree house was the highest viewing location in Disneyland (and probably still is). However, it is now surrounded by taller trees which blocks out most of the view. I also noticed the trees around Big Thunder also make the mountain look smaller. It's nice having the shade, but . . .

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I totally understand what you are saying, BUT...

I'm not sure that it can be seen in that picture but they help conceal the roof of the PFF which is a much worse sight to see than some trees.

Now if they can remove the PFF or lower the roof then ok, they should remove the trees.

I believe the trees are the eucalyptis wind-breaks that have been there from day-one. They formed the back side of Disneyland, then, and are now almost 55 years older and taller. They took out and trimmed back trees in front of the castle for the 50th. I think much of the park could use some trimming and thinning. I know they make Frontierland look "natural", but they, now, are affecting the scale of the attractions.

• secure all cargo

I wish I could remember where I read this, but I believe when they were planning for the ride's relocation from the World's Fair that it was Walt himself who wanted the trees there. Can anyone confirm this?

• always, the freaky cat

Quote Originally Posted by 3IAlienKid View Post
    I wish I could remember where I read this, but I believe when they were planning for the ride's relocation from the World's Fair that it was Walt himself who wanted the trees there. Can anyone confirm this?
    Are you talking about It's a Small World? The trees behind the castle are quite a bit to the left (west) of Small World, near the Princess Fantasy Faire area, and even further west of there.

Edit: after looking at google map's satellite view, I think the trees we're talking about are between the Toontown Railroad Station and Toontown itself. And also some on the south side of the Princess Fantasy Faire, between it and Casey Jr./Storybookland.
    Last edited by DannyB; 12-18-2008 at 02:06 PM.

• secure all cargo

DannyB, I stand corrected!

Now that I've got my perspective, I wonder if the trees are kept up to block the Team Disney parking structure. I imagine without the trees it might be possible to see it if you were standing on the Main Street Station.

• always, the freaky cat

Quote Originally Posted by 3IAlienKid View Post
    DannyB, I stand corrected!

Now that I've got my perspective, I wonder if the trees are kept up to block the Team Disney parking structure. I imagine without the trees it might be possible to see it if you were standing on the Main Street Station.
    Well, someone pointed out earlier that they are probably to block the view of the Princess Fantasy Faire roof. But I think they are taller than they need to be for that.

• A Weather Eye Open

i think you're right about the trees being a tad too tall. they could just trim the ones next to things that need to look bigger without removing too much shade or green, methinks.

but it you think about it really hard, you can imagine that the castle makes the trees look GIANT, instead of the other way around.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

The trees are just behind Storybook Land. There used to be more, but some have died. They were left over from the orange/walnut orchard.

• secure all cargo

Yes, the trees blocking the Princess Faire makes more sense as the stage and tent are obviously closer to the Castle than the parking lot. The stage has been there since the 80's when it was Videopolis, so it would be interesting if there are any pictures from that time looking down Main Street at the Castle, to see if the stage was visible at that time (assuming they hadn't already let the trees get so tall).