Are the various 'lightings' around DL automatic?

Firstly, this thread has nothing to do with cigarettes.

That said, I'll ask you the question. Are the various ceremonies around the park (such as Christmas tree, iasw, castle) automatic or manual? Does someone flip a switch every day or does it go off automatically?

Although this isn't a deep thread that Steve is wanting, I thought I'd throw it out there. Thanks!
    ap·pur·te·nant – adjective: appertaining or belonging; pertaining.

...to Disneyland.

• I'm not really here

Re: Are the various 'lightings' around DL automatic?

Great question. I'm not totally sure, having no work experience at the parks.

But to hazard a guess, I would say that the "holiday" specific lightings are manual and the year round things are more automatic.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• MC, this is LD

I would assume it is manual like all the Fan!, Dreams, and POD... Although, I could be wrong.

•   
    • Senior Minion

Blog Entries

part automatic and part manual

the automatis is done with a Light computer that control light sequent
    program to start the Show.
    Some light computer will need some to put the Start or Go button.
    so will start by a clock.
    Most live stage show someone need to put the GO button.
    then everything happen.
    buliding light are on computer or manual button.
    AKfandisney Have a Magic Disney day ºoº 2010
    Alan

Toy Story Mania construction:
    Older photo
    New Photo

Member of
    MiceChat WDW Trip
    Next trip
    2014 Feb 8-9

• DCA FTW!

I'm going to go with a mixture of both. But most of the show has to be automatic to do the perfect timing that they have but does need the manual part to get them started, pause them, and such. The only thing I think thats manual on fantasmic tho would be the puppets and the spot lights, oh and the barges.
    Everybody's got a laughin' place-
    trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it.

• A Weather Eye Open

i think that shows with performers would be manual, such as F!, POD, etc, because there is a lot of room for delays and human error, so the effects such as light and sound need to have someone sitting there in case they need to tweak the timing if something goes a bit awry. i mean, say a barge is a little late getting in place; someone would need to be at the controls to delay the lights from going up on that barge until it had made it's entrance. Things like the jedi training academy that can vary a lot in timing are manually controlled too... you can sit ehind the techs and watch them press buttons to activate different microphones, start each light cue, etc. but things with no performers, like the snow shows for the castle and the tree, i'm sure are programmed into a computer and a button just needs to be hit to make it go. i would think that the nighttime lighting in the streets is on a timer that get adjusted with the season, but show lights and music (and audio announcement) that are computer programmed would still have to be manually started in case the show start needs to be delayed a few minutes. i know the fireworks (both the shells and the lighting and music) is controlled like this (saw it on a little documentary); it is often delayed, but all the light cues and music and explosions are written into a computer program and they just need to activate it.

this is all just hypothesis of course. i know there's a lot of great professional lighting jobs at DLR, and the more human peformers a show has, the more likely it would need to have someone pressing buttons for each sequence. of course, even stuff that's just need to be started up and can run automatically will have someone sitting at control in case it needs to be stopped or cancelled all of a sudden. sometimes announcements before parades or fireworks get cut off midsentance!
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• MC, this is LD

I think my post was a little vague.

If you guys want to get technical...

Yes, each individual sequence is controlled by the computer, but a person has to click the sequence, called a cue. The way I run the lighting system at my church is by touching a set of cues. Each cue can do an individual job. At my church a cue can tell the scanners (intelligent mirrored luminaire) to move this way, or a LED par to change this color.

Just my 2¢