Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• I eat TR's for breakfast!

Jungle Cruise - an abandoned ride?

The Jugle Cruise has never been a part of Disneyland that dazzled me.

If I had never seen it in Disneyland I'd think it would be some kind of Rainforest Cafe safari or something, not a classic Disney ride.

Anyways, I was just at the park on Dec. 14th and saw something rather shocking.

The ride was basically walk-on (I'd say 1 minute wait at most) when right next to it, the Indiana Jones ride had a 40 minute wait.

Disneyland has refurberished many of it's classic rides, but seem to be overlooking Jungle Cruise.

It's technology is HIGHLY outdated and there is no real "special effect" I can think of throughout the whole ride.

And I know a lot of Disney enthusiasts on this site love the Jungle Cruise and I respect that and whatever reasons you may have.

But don't you think it's time for an update? (i hesitate to say refurberishment because then people automatically start thinking of the adition of disney characters, and that is now where i'm going at)

The Jungle Cruise could be an amazing ride with the technology of today.

Simple back and forth movements of fake-looking animals in a slow speed ride just doesn't seem to fit in the 21st century Disneyland.

• Kingdom Comedian

Re: Jungle Cruise - an abandoned ride?

Didn't they totally re do the thing when Indy opened in 95?

Also how about that Piranha effect? Is that "special?" I dunno but it's a new addition.

I always thought the skippers were the big "effect" on the ride. They totally make or break the experience.

Blog Entries

The Jungle Cruise isn't about the animals anyhow, it's about the show of the skipper. That's my opinion at least. I think that updating the animals to look realistic would almost ruin the ride. Plus I'm not certain that advanced animatronics would hold up outside.

• no flash photography...

they also added the gorilla throwing dynamite.

Quote Originally Posted by timbabbcomedian View Post
    I always thought the skippers were the big "effect" on the ride.
    Exactly,
    Great Skipper... Great Ride.
    So So Skipper... still a nice boat ride.

• Jail Bondswoman of RCMC

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post
    they also added the gorilla throwing dynamite.
    Plus the smiling fish with the sharp teeth.

I had one of the best Skippers who said that.

• Disgruntled Former CM

(((((techskip - Paging Techskip)))))

(((((techskip - We Have A Posting That Requires Your Immediate Attention - Over)))))
    "I've got the heart of a child..." - I keep it in a box, next to my bed...

• Hello

Cool Re: Jungle Cruise - an abandoned ride?

yes, I like it. But yes it needs an update. Add more movement to animals and get new jokes. That's the 1-2, and we're down for the count!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

As mentioned already, there were some special effects (river explosion in front and behind you, the pirahna ~ or Hungry goldfishies) added for the 50th anniversary of the attration in 2005. Some of the animals, and Bob were placed in different locations, Trader Sam was unmasked also. And yes a major part of the attraction is how well the "Guide" performs. The different guides keep the attraction repeatable. As for adding something new, to the Jungle Cruise, Maybe in a few years. It will need updates, just like Pirates or Haunted Mansion. But for now, as long as they keep a variety of jokes and presentations by the Guides, It's in good shape now. When I'm in Adventureland, I'm more likely to go on the Jungle Cruise, rather than Indy.

As for Indy, there are some slight variations, the biggest being the "3 different doors". The queue for Indy (along with the Roger Rabbit queue) is the best in Disneyland, as well as in the world, for ANY theme park queue. However, 13 years after Indy came to DL, it really needs some updates, itself.

• It's all about Theme!

The Jungle Cruise on most busy days has at least a 5 minute wait. There are times when attendance may drop, but that can be for a number of reasons. Recently I remember waiting for at least 20 minutes for it. I can guarantee you on New Years the second level will be open. No it isn't an abandoned ride. It has been plussed and is a great ride still. There is no lack of attendance for this attraction I guarantee.
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

• A Weather Eye Open

i think part of the reason it often has such a short wait is that it has a high capacity. if you compare it to a popular FL ride such as storybook canal boats, peter pan, or dumbo, they often have longer waits as far as classic, non-thrill rides go because they have low capacities.

i have often been in a line that was long enough for the second story of the queue to be open. it is also a must-ride for my whole family, at least once or twice a trip.

i agree that the show of this ride is about the skips, not about the actual animals or effects. they are comical scenes and sometimes even startling (piranhas), but the way the skip interacts with both the scenes and the riders is what's really fun.

i don't really agree that the DLR needs to update or even take better care of this ride. they keep it in very good condition, with all the anamatronics working and everything very clean. they even drained out the river last year to clean it up, put in some new stuff (gorillas), and replace the water! it's in great condition and not neglected or abandoned at all. my only wish is that they'd let the skips tell all the old, more risque jokes!
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• I'm a fiddle player......

I often find the Haunted Mansion and Pirates with short waits, doesn't mean it's abandoned or disliked.

Sure, JC isn't a ride full of special effects, but I'd argue it's the very essence of what Walt was trying to convey with Adventureland in the first place. It's the raw experience of being on the water, not in a seatbelt, live guide on board, in the natural vegetation that really gets you in the Adventureland "zone." Give me JC over Indiana any day.

I was there on the 14th also and went on the ride since there was only a 5 minute wait. We enjoyed it as our skipper had some new jokes that I had never heard before.

I would always go on that ride when my mom used to take me to DL so it has a special place in my heart. I don't go on the ride every visit, but it still takes me back to when I was a child every time I go on it.

There have been many times when I have seen the line for the ride very long so I don't think it's disliked.

• =)

I don't think the WFJC has been abandoned...it's been plussed a bit in the last few years, but not in ways that compromise the heart of the experience, and it still draws in reasonable numbers, as far as I can tell. (Of course, as napamaninsocal points out, line length is not enough information. Capacity is just as important. Anyone have any concrete numbers in terms of hourly capacity?)

I'm not surprised that the JC is not the public's absolute favorite attraction, though. I don't at all mean this as a slight against the attraction, but it is quite slow by "modern standards", and having a bad skip can really detract from the quality of the experience. The animals themselves are not horrible by any means, though I wouldn't mind a thorough update to make them all more lifelike.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast