• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

Guest Appreciation

Whenever I am helping a guest while working, I always ask them what their favorite attraction was for the day. Most of the time I get Space Mountain or Haunted Mansion, but sometimes I will get answers like Honey I Shrunk the Audience or Gadget's Go Coaster. *Which aren't bad attractions, but one can use some major surgery *

Has any guest (that doesn't get to Disneyland as often as we do) ever made you appreciate a weaker attraction by finding all the positives in it?

I will start:

I was ringing up a gentleman in the Emporium and I asked him what his favorite attraction was. He said he really enjoyed Honey I shrunk the Audience because it really made him feel like he shrunk the size of... something. lol

Then it made me think about it. I then realized that it is a true *3-D* film, unlike Muppets and ITTBAB it really felt like these things were flying out at you instead of trying to use millions of 4-D effects to try and impress the audience. I love Muppets and Bugs to death and I am not a big fan of HISTA, but this gentleman made me realize that HISTA is a great 3-D film that doesn't have to use alot of high tech gadgets to draw in the crowd.

Anyone make you look more positive towards an attraction/show?

• I wish I may...

Re: Guest Appreciation

Well I'm not a CM, so I can't make any comments guest-wise, but I can say my little godsister has made me look at IaSW in a very, very different way than I did, say, 3 years ago. When she was 7...I think, she was able to list so many cultures on the ride, and suddenly it was like a, "Whoa. Something's different here" sort of thing. Hard for me to explain...

• 1st Visit: 7/23/1955

My brother loves Muppet 3-D and he's given me a real appreciation for it. (To the point where I got him the Hallmark Statler and Hilton ornament this year. But don't tell him... It's a secret! ;-) )

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

I just took my 6 year old on the Storybook ride for the first time a couple weeks ago and she absolutely LOVED it. While I never really cared for it before, I just thought it was cute, watching her while on the ride gave me a whole new appreciation for it.
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

• Circle of Ancients

Frecky, I totally agree. There are certain rides that are just "better" seen through the eyes of your children.

Small World for example. I always thought it was kind of blech, before I had kids. When the kids were young, and seeing the ride through their eyes, and the joy it brought them, just made me appreciate what a great ride it is.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Good topic Kritter! I must say, people who have never been to Disneyland before really open my eyes to new experiences. The Animation Studios is one of them, people just seem to love the Sorcerer's Workshop, seeing what character they are in the Beast's Library and singing or acting in Ursula's Grotto.

You get used to rushing through the park when you've been there hundreds of times, it's refreshing to look through the eyes of someone who's never had the experience before. I love going with newbies for sure!

• Circle of Ancients

I agree Chad.

I remember our first trip to WDW, everything was so magical, we didn't care about lines, or crowds. It was just about having a great time at the parks. So many times when we go to DL now, it's just to see everybody, or a certain show or event or ride. You get this attitude of "well, that line is 30 minutes long, we can do that next time" or "I don't want to wait 5 minutes to sing with Ursula, we can do that next time".

Not that I'm complaining at all, I love that we have access to the park and are able to go so much.

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

Another one would be when Taylor and I went on Heimlichs Chew Chew Train. Neither of us had ever been on it before ( I despise going in that area of DCA) but we were there on a day that the park was pretty empty so we said "what the heck" and decided to go on the rides. I could NOT stop giggling while on that ride.
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

• =)

Fantasyland in general, and it's actually been fellow MCers who've made the most difference. Hearing from other adults who appreciate and enjoy those sorts of attractions has encouraged me to gradually get better at doing the same. Still not my favorites or anything, but my perception of them has definitely changed.

As a teenager, I never stopped to watch shows or parades but now with the kids you kind of have to take a break or FEED them occasionally! LOL My boys love seeing the Billy Hill & the Hillbillies show so much that we always eat our lunch there now. When I was younger I never would have thought to sit down and watch a show instead of going on another ride but just having a good laugh with Billy and clapping along to the music is great!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Hit the nail on the head. I'm not a CM, but I totally understand where you are coming from. I took my bestest buddy in the world to DisneyWorld when he hit a rough patch and, at Hollywood Studios, his first question was..."when's the parade?"

I was like, those are boring, passive things I don't enjoy. But for him, it meant the world to watch the parade. Twice. And the HSM thing.

It just goes to show ya, we always need a second opinion and everything does have some good in it.

Great thread!

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

I mostly go with my family who have been going to Disneyland for our whole lives so not so much...at least not yet.

Great thread!
    ap·pur·te·nant – adjective: appertaining or belonging; pertaining.

...to Disneyland.

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

Met an Australian group last night while working and we talked for a bit, I had fun joking around with them and telling them what Disney is doing with DCA with all the new attractions and shows that will arrive. We just had fun chatting for a bit and having fun talking about attractions etc. so they had to leave.

When I came back from my lunch they brought some more people to come see me. Yes they even said "We were looking for you!". I guess there is more than just a guest appreciation to attractions and shows, but also to Cast Members aswell!

I felt special.