Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Re: DCA down to just ONE FP during the week

Quote Originally Posted by HydroGuy
    Yeah, maybe. But if this were really so, then in the off-season when the lines are short, they should artificially slow down the lines so people can experience the queue. You know, there are only 100 people in front of you for Indy, but you will need to wait 20 minutes to get on so you can better enjoy the queue.
    They already do this very thing on many attractions durring the off season(by reducing the number of ride vehicles)
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• white and nerdy

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Panda
    I'm sorry, I can't let this go. How many students were there at your grad night? And the pre-FP wait on Splash on busy days was only one hour?

Indeed. HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS!!! Muhahahaha!!!!

and are you telling me that you had to wait more than an hour for Splash? Even on the busy days?

REALITY. I don't know when those of you who remember very short lines went, but it wasn't during the busy season. I remember lining up for rides like Indiana Jones and Splash Mountian in different lands. Now instead of waiting in line all day, you can explore more of the park and still ride all the rides you want. Yes, it takes a bit of homework, but any vacation does.

(old geezer time) When I was young, there was a saying at disneyland "You have to save something for next time." it was something our parents would say when you wondered why you only got on about half of the rides. These days you can ride every ride in disneyland in one day.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot
    ^ In theory that's a good idea. But what about being spontaneous? I don't want my visits to be THAT structured. Sure, we all have rides that we want to go on first, or last, etc. But to have your whole day planned out ... not for me.
    Well, I do subscribe to the school of thought that gets rid of FP altogether. My ideas are for improving FP if it has to exist.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• My Children's Father

Quote Originally Posted by sediment
    Well, I do subscribe to the school of thought that gets rid of FP altogether. My ideas are for improving FP if it has to exist.
    sediment, can you imagine a FP system that is so modified from its current configuration that you would actually embrace it as an improvement over the pre-FP days? Or is any FP system doomed from a lack of fairness, excessive impediment to the "standby", or other fatal flaw?
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

• Circle of Ancients

Like thejoshualee I remember lines for Star Tours that extended all the way down main street. Lines for Indy that extended all through Adventureland and through Frontierland. I remember getting in line for Splash Mtn at the Pirates entrance. I can remember the entire area below the old Space Mtn entrance being filled up. I can even remember using the side queue for pirates (the one that doesn't exist anymore).

Since FP, I haven't seen this at all. Sure walkways may be a bit more congested, but they used to be congested before FP. With lines.

• Reaver of Souls

Maybe they're trying to cause longer lines, to give the illusion of being crowded...
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

• Rock Star Minion

sediment, can you imagine a FP system that is so modified from its current configuration that you would actually embrace it as an improvement over the pre-FP days? Or is any FP system doomed from a lack of fairness, excessive impediment to the "standby", or other fatal flaw?
    No, I can't. But then, I can remember when there wasn't FastPass.

Regarding long lines for brand-new attrations: how could there not be? Even FP can't shrink the wait time or the stand-by line (unless the attraction goes FP-only, which would be a bad idea). And, as time goes on, the line/wait shortens to a more reasonable level, after most guests have experienced the attraction.
    I remember my first visit after Indy opened. It was a Sunday evening quickie. Line at Indy was two hours long, so we skipped it. That was a choice that we had (and everyone has).
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot
    Since FP, I haven't seen this at all. Sure walkways may be a bit more congested, but they used to be congested before FP. With lines.
    You seem to be implying that the cause is the creation of FastPass, not that Star Tours and Indy are both over 10 years old.
    Over at Buzz, there has been a stand-by queue and a congregation of FastPass waiters. THAT's how FP causes congestion: people just waiting around in the walkways for their return time to pass. At least a queue can be controlled somewhat, planned in advance, improved over time, etc.

• A Pirate's Life For Me

Quote Originally Posted by thejoshualee
    REALITY. I don't know when those of you who remember very short lines went, but it wasn't during the busy season. I remember lining up for rides like Indiana Jones and Splash Mountian in different lands. Now instead of waiting in line all day, you can explore more of the park and still ride all the rides you want. Yes, it takes a bit of homework, but any vacation does.
    A lot of the anti-FP folks have very selective memories. I went to a grad night in 1981 (that makes me 42 for those of you who are not good at math ). I went on Space Mtn. I cannot remember the line length, but it was long. At least an hour. Maybe 90 minutes.

I agree that FP makes lines longer for standby. I do not agree that lines were short pre-FP and that if DL just eliminated FP the lines would be "short" again. Splash Mtn lines were long (I remember two hour lines back in 1990). Space Mtn lines were long (I remember 90+ minute lines in the 1980's).
    Last edited by HydroGuy; 09-14-2005 at 03:24 PM.

• A Pirate's Life For Me

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff
    They already do this very thing on many attractions durring the off season(by reducing the number of ride vehicles)
    But I do not think they do it so that people can better enjoy the queues. They do it to match resources with demand.

• Rock Star Minion

A lot of the anti-FP folks have very selective memories. I went to a grad night in 1981 (that makes me 42 for those of you who are not good at math . I went on Space Mtn. I cannot remember the line length, but it was long. At least an hour. Maybe 90 minutes.
    I'm sure there were some very interesting reasons to stay in line for 90 minutes on Grad Night. Something to keep you there as you wound back and forth with others in the queue.

I agree that FP makes lines longer for standby. I do not agree that lines were short pre-FP and that if DL just eliminated FP the lines would be "short" again. Splash Mtn lines were long (I remember two hour lines back in 1990). Space Mtn lines were long (I remember 90+ minute lines in the 1980's).
    Again with the lines for rides that are nearly brand new at the time. It is the attractions' fault for being so attractive. And new is attractive. (Solution: don't build any more attractive attractions?)

I want people in line if they're waiting for an attraction. I don't think letting them wander around, in shops, on walkways, in line for another attraction, etc. If they don't want to wait, that is also their prerogative.

• Rock Star Minion

My grad night was at an amusement park that had just opened up one of the greatest roller coasters ever built. The line was at least 2.5 hours. It also rained off and on all night. My buddies and I decided not to ride it, figuring it will be there for a good 50 years or so. I've been on it since (10 years after grad night), so I don't feel I missed anything. I think a little differently than others do, though.

• My Children's Father

I want people in line if they're waiting for an attraction. I don't think letting them wander around, in shops, on walkways, in line for another attraction, etc. If they don't want to wait, that is also their prerogative.
    The Misty Mountain Hop came to mind when I read this:

Quote Originally Posted by Led Zepplin
    Just then a policeman stepped up to me and asked us said,
    "Please, hey, would we care to all get in line,
    Get in line."
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

• Rock Star Minion

The Misty Mountain Hop came to mind when I read this:
    I know how it is...

• Minion

Again with the lines for rides that are nearly brand new at the time. It is the attractions' fault for being so attractive. And new is attractive. (Solution: don't build any more attractive attractions?)
    Space opened in 1977. If he remembers long lines in the 1980's, Space was at least 3 years old. That doesn't seem very brand new to me.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast