Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• that's right!

Exclamation "Increasingly Interactive"

http://www.mouseplanet.com/parkupdat...m#NewsAndViews

In recent weeks, Walt Disney Parks & Resorts Online (WDPRO, the division of the Disney parks that brought us Buzz Lightyear Online and Virtual Magic Kingdom) has been conducting focus group testing of a new program that, if funded, will bring interactive elements to an increasing number of Disneyland (and eventually other park) attractions.

For the proof of concept phase, they wired both Haunted Mansion and Tom Sawyer Island for two completely different experiences that can be delivered through the same technology.

[...]

Using modified Pocket PC PDAs—although the final technology could be very different by the time this actually goes live—the first interactive experience demonstrated was at Haunted Mansion. The goal of the game is to "capture" the ghosts as you move through the ride.
    [continued at the link. I didn't want to copy/paste the whole thing]
    I'm wondering how everyone feels about this, since the thought of adding a few animatronics to Pirates made quite a few people here angry. The article doesn't say anything about how they would actually put this into the park for guests--and I doubt anyone knows at this point--but it's still interesting.

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

Re: "Increasingly Interactive"

I think the fact that you need a PDA to experience it is nice, because it sounds like nothing will change if you don't have one- you only experience it if you want to.

I think anything that adds a new experience is a good thing. They need to look into bringing this over to DCA.
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• Gay Man

And, what rides at DCA would be better if they were interactive? That's the park that really needs the help. Why are they messing with the favorites?

• that's right!

Quote Originally Posted by dramaqueen
    I think the fact that you need a PDA to experience it is nice, because it sounds like nothing will change if you don't have one- you only experience it if you want to.

I think anything that adds a new experience is a good thing. They need to look into bringing this over to DCA.
    If they decide to actually do this, I think it will either be something free for everyone (as in, all of the doombuggies have guns attatched to them, or everyone going to Tom Sawyer's island gets a themed PDA-type box when they arrive) or an extra premium. I doubt they'll rely on people bringing PDAs because they're not all that prevalent anymore and they'd have to worry about matters of compatibility. If they make this a pay service (and it's Disney so there's no reason to think they won't) it seems to me like you would pick up your magic PDA or whatever they theme it to be on Main Street, for a deposit and probably $20-30 daily. I don't know, I just made that up, and it might be more, but it's a rough estimate. Like Pal Mickey at Walt Disney World, your PDA will know where you are and will respond accordingly. When you get on Haunted Mansion, it will enter "ghost hunt" mode and you'll capture ghosts, and when you arrive on Tom Sawyer's island you'll get a spiel about finding treasure or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Not Afraid
    And, what rides at DCA would be better if they were interactive? That's the park that really needs the help. Why are they messing with the favorites?
    It would only really work on dark rides, and so by the time this rolls out, if it ever does, it will work on Monster's Inc.

• Gay Man

Oh boy! I can't wait for:

Capture Tink in a Lantern
    Be the cop chasing Mr. Toad
    Make Pinicchio's nose grow
    How many hits of LSD can you take?
    For the men - Undress the Evil Queen.

Oh no! My tongue is stuck in my cheek and I can't get it out!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

What about how many Small World dolls can you knock down?
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

yes, to clarify, I didn't think that they would rely on guests having their own PDA's- I was kind of thinking it would be something that you could rent at guest services and take around the park. Something like this seems better aimed at locals and AP's.

Something I think that would be an even better addition is more interactive tours and scavenger hunts- I know they offer a few of these already, but dropping the price to make them more accessable for families would be a nice idea. Something like that would REALLY help DCA. I actually participated in a scavenger hunt at DCA that was staged by the park in 2001 and it was a blast- they gave us pith helmets with Mickey Ears on them and medals at the end. I don't know why they don't offer it officially, but they should.
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• Gay Man

IASW! That's good!

I guess, bottom line for me is, I reeally don't care for the interactive stuff. I'm more likely to sit back and watch Buzz go by than actually shoot at things. Actually, all of the noises in Buzz drive me a bit crazy. I've just never been a big gamer in general. I like to look at the "artwork" over and over and interract that way.

Quote Originally Posted by squinky
    http://www.mouseplanet.com/parkupdat...m#NewsAndViews

I'm wondering how everyone feels about this, since the thought of adding a few animatronics to Pirates made quite a few people here angry. The article doesn't say anything about how they would actually put this into the park for guests--and I doubt anyone knows at this point--but it's still interesting.

good gravy 9_9 it wasn't just a few pirates and you know it (I don't care about the World of Motion additions and if it was just more Pirates I'd feel the same)

anywho I think this kinda change is fine if you don't want a whatever device they hand out then don't take it

I really like the idea of having these things on Tom Sawyer Island it'd give people alot of interesting things to do on the island if they plot it right and adding something to Tarzan's might be cool as well (and perhaps a few other areas of the park)

I'm not too sure about it's use in the Haunted Mansion mostly because while it'd be interesting it really wouldn't fit in with the story of the ride (why would you want to remove ghosts from the Haunted Mansion?) but also because it just strikes me as being way to similar to Buzz Lightyear and the more of the same thing you add the less special it becomes and I enjoy Buzz Lightyear mostly because it is unique

anywho I think Disney would manage this system almost like they manage the My Pal Mickey in WDW (speaking of which shouldn't DLR have this sort of thing by now? then again I'm not a fan of flushing areas full of infared light)

advertising this system to everyone might be neat if I were staying multiday again I'd like something like that to give me extra quests to do over my stay

• done

I had the opportunity to try it but had to pass for various reasons. I do know people who did it, and they seemed to like it. It sounded interesting to me, but it doesn't sound like something I'd actually do, and it seems to be targeted to APs or at least frequent visitors. I can't see a day guest spending too much time doing that.

Or maybe I'll be the only person wandering around not carrying one of those thingies...

It can be fun to shoot a laser gun on a ride, any ride can be fun, ergo you should be able to shoot a laser gun on any ride.

• Yeti Enthusiast

What ever happened to just sitting down on a ride and enjoying it? Why do people have to be "doing" something all the time? I don't need to "catch" Ghosts or "arrest" Pirates on some PDA to enjoy myself. Just chalk it up with the celphone as yet another thing to distract people's attention away from these already great rides.

• The one, the only...

I think that interaction is a great idea. From what I have read, it is going to make Tom Sawyer Island MUCH more interesting.

I don't mind the ghosts additions either. I means some can have an additional level of enjoyment of the ride that does not affect anyone else's.

This is a MUCH better interaction than My Friend Mickey from WDW. Here you do not have to have any monetary commitment. I would not mind if they got to a point that you could rent a PDA to do some of this. For those who want to participate, it would be there.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

I dont like the Haunted Mansion idea - I just have a bad feeling these things are going to make some kind of noise every time you "catch" a ghost - and what a way to ruin a ride for others around you who arent "catching" ghosts - with a noisy PDA/game.

I think this idea is much better suited for Tom Sawyer Island, and would even be good on Tarzan's Treehouse or if they incorporate it in Autopia somehow - but if it makes noise I don't think it belongs in any ride that has a soundtrack that the ride itself heavily relies on.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Minion

The HM sound track is played per buggy. If someone catches a ghost, any sound would be played in THERE buggy.

Im all for it if its transparant. But if they start putting bright flashing things on all the ghost's like the targets in Buzz, there will be riots, be sure!

Gib

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast