The Land's Literature

In reading these forums, I've seen quite a few recommendations for different books about Disneyland. For the sake of not having to fish through all the threads to find them, can those who know of any post them here? I need something to read, so any help would be appreciated.

Also, I'm trying to find tried and true good books. Not just a list of the books tht exist.

Thank You
    Dizzneeland

Re: The Land's Literature

I would recommend "Simulacra and Simulation" by Jean Baudrillard. Being about signification and un-reality, it has quite a bit to do with Disneyland.

okay okay. Sounds pretty interesting. Thank you.

• =)

Jason Surrell's books on the Haunted Mansion and the Disney mountains are worthwhile. His POTC book is probably similarly good...I don't have it. I also highly recommend John Hench's Designing Disney, which may be out of print now.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

My short list:

Mouse Trap, by Kevin Yee. He is a columnist here, and this is the book you want if you want a front line Cast Member experience of Disneyland. Very personal and a fun read.

Mouse Tales, by David Koenig. The flip side and the realities of working at the magic kingdom, very entertaining, but if you are looking for a book that views Disneyland as a perfect environment, this isn't it. It gets into the real details of death and the human drama of the parks as well as the backstage and "magical" details unknown to guests.

The Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Carribbean: From The Magic Kingdom to the Movies, by Jason Surrell. Loads of art and inside info on two of the most successful and detailed attractions ever undertaken by the parks. Some small errors and a Disney approved version, but both have artwork and concepts you won't find anywhere else.

Welcome Aboard the Disneyland Railroad, by Steve DeGaetano. Another columnist and expert here, this book is required for any railroad fan. Indepth and exhaustive on the park's train systems.

A Photographer's Life With Disneyland Under Construction, by Mell Kilpatrick and Carlene Thie. A great selection of vintage photos of the park's early years, by a LA Times staff photographer.

The Nickel Tour, by Bruce Gordon and David Mumford. Amazing historical collection of Disneyland postcards through the years.

Those are just my picks, there are many other worthwhile books out there...

Thank you for the quick response. That's a small stack of books. Cool.

:: !!!! ATTENTION MYCROFT !!!! ::

I recall you mentioning a book you'd recommend. What was it???

• E T1CK3T

Quote Originally Posted by darkfairycthulu View Post
    My short list:

Mouse Trap, by Kevin Yee. He is a columnist here, and this is the book you want if you want a front line Cast Member experience of Disneyland. Very personal and a fun read.

Mouse Tales, by David Koenig. The flip side and the realities of working at the magic kingdom, very entertaining, but if you are looking for a book that views Disneyland as a perfect environment, this isn't it. It gets into the real details of death and the human drama of the parks as well as the backstage and "magical" details unknown to guests.

Welcome Aboard the Disneyland Railroad, by Steve DeGaetano. Another columnist and expert here, this book is required for any railroad fan. Indepth and exhaustive on the park's train systems.

I'd also recommend these books, they were all excellent reads. Also, you might want to check out:

More Mouse Tales, by David Koenig. It's more of the same tales and behind-the-scenes looks at Disneyland, but has track layouts of Indy Adventure, HM, and a few other rides. It also goes to more recent times, just before California Adventures was built.

Walt Disney's Railroad Story, by Michael Broggie. This is a recounting of Walt Disney's history and passion with railroads and trains. It goes all the way from his days as a fledling entrepreneur to his miniature railroad in his backyard, to the creation of Disneyland, Walt Disney World, and even Tokyo Disneyland and Disneyland Paris. It's a great book all about the engines at each of the parks, and a wonderful insight into the great passion Walt had for trains, and how much it affected the parks as we know them today.

The Disneyland Encyclopedia: The Unofficial, Unauthorized, and Unprecedented History of Every Land, Attraction, Restaurant, Shop, and Event in the Original Magic Kingdom, by Chris Strodder. This is a fun book documenting (in encyclopedic form, obviously) most of Disneyland's past and present fixtures in the park. It is not really a book you read cover to cover, but one you look at every once in a while, read a few entries at a time. It's an entertaining book that has much of Disneyland's past history and attractions, along with some photos as well.

• Closed Account

Books purely abut Disneyland that, in my opinion, are must haves:

1. Without a doubt, The Nickel Tour is the best thing out there covering the Park and its attractions. You might find a copy for less than a hundred dollars. Spend it. If it's more than $100--spend that, too.

2. Randy Bright's "Disneyland Inside Story" is pretty good as well, and has some nice images. To me, however, it's more like a sourvenir guide on steroids.

3. The best book ever written about how the Park was designed is undoubtedly "Designing Disney's Theme Parks." It covers the other Parks tangentially, but the main thrust of the book is how the Imagineers came up with Disneyland. Very scholarly.

4. Finally, the absolute best book on the Park, isn't. A book, that is. It is the magazine "The E Ticket," which is shortly to become the late, great E Ticket. Available on the secondary market only.
    Last edited by Steve DeGaetano; 12-23-2008 at 09:27 AM.

As others have said, Mouse Tales is my favorite book about the park. It gives some great insider information.
    Also, The Disneyland Encyclopedia (already mentioned) is fantastic.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

The Nickel Tour is fantastic.

• Embrace the kitsch!

Thumbs up Re: The Land's Literature

I always recommend "Disneyland: Inside Story" by Randy Bright. Published in 1987 and only printed once, but worth it if you can find it. A history of the Park from 1954-1986. The last picture shows Tony Baxter examining a model of Splash Mt.
    It'll set you back about $100, but again, worth it.
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by woxel1 View Post
    I would recommend "Simulacra and Simulation" by Jean Baudrillard. Being about signification and un-reality, it has quite a bit to do with Disneyland.
    Can I get a copy of this from Neo or Morpheus???
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Redsix View Post
    Can I get a copy of this from Neo or Morpheus???
    It was required reading in my course! But here's a fun sample...

Disneyland is a perfect model of all the entangled orders of simulation. To begin with it is a play of illusions and phantasms: pirates, the frontier, future world, etc. This imaginary world is supposed to be what makes the operation successful. But, what draws the crowds is undoubtedly much more the social microcosm, the miniaturized and religious revelling in real America, in its delights and drawbacks. You park outside, queue up inside, and are totally abandoned at the exit. In this imaginary world the only phantasmagoria is in the inherent warmth and affection of the crowd, and in that aufficiently excessive number of gadgets used there to specifically maintain the multitudinous affect...
    I actually ended up writing an essaying arguing against him. It was intellectually simulating!