Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Minion

Lightbulb Sleeping Beauty Winter Castle fix

Sleeping Beauty Winter Castle....

Instead of the plastic twirly things around the lights on the castle during the holidays, why don't they put the lights inside icicles made out of glass. That way, during the day, it looks good too!!! Doubt if Disney would but that much glass and shape it, but it would look really good!!! Post comments and ideas of your own!!!

• =)

Re: Sleeping Beauty Winter Castle fix

Yeah, I don't think you and I are the only ones who've posted this idea. It's a pretty obvious choice, so I'm sure Disney thought of it...the question is, why didn't they do it? Cost? Problems with the heat of the bulbs? Or...maybe they just genuinely prefer the cheap, swirly look.

The same look could easily be achieved using molded plastic. LED lights do not give off much heat and they have high temperature plastics that could be used for the icicles. It seems to me they would only need about a dozen different molds that mixed up "randomly" would give the desired look.

I also think that having the lights and cords encased in molded plastic would also make it harder to see the wires and the ligths themselves. The reflections off the wavy icicles would make it difficult to see what was encased especially if they used lights with clear wire insulation instead of white.

Maybe someday. they did add snow on the back of the castle this year along with the lighting effects down Main Street so maybe the plan is to continue to add a bit each year until they get it exactly the way they want it.

• I eat TR's for breakfast!

The middle of a recession is not the best time to be worrying about castle icicles.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

My thoughts are that if they encased them, the lighting will not give the look that they are going for with the castle. If you notice the lighting is dotty almost, lots of tiny dots. Encasing them may just make it look like a glowing icicle. Then we must take in to account weather and wind, can rain get into these icicles and affect them negatively? If wind can't get through will it be able to knock them down or ruin them in some way?

From afar the icicles look really great in my opinion, coming from someone who has icicles on his house as we speak. It's only upon closer inspection that they aren't fully realised. But does it ruin it for me? Not in the least, this is the best the castle has ever looked during christmas!

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

In Sleeping Beauty Castle's Darkest Chamber

Yes, I wish Disney would do something with those icicles - they look absolutely tacky and gaudy in the light.

CHECK OUT MY NEW MUSIC LOOP THAT I DESIGNED
    FOR AUTUMN TIME AT DISNEYLAND!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL6fk6Ua54k

With kindest regards,
    Maleficent Fan

disneymusicsamples | magicmusic.net

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Analyst View Post
    My thoughts are that if they encased them, the lighting will not give the look that they are going for with the castle. If you notice the lighting is dotty almost, lots of tiny dots. Encasing them may just make it look like a glowing icicle.
    I'm sure they could come up with a material that was transparent enough to avoid diffusing the appearance of the individual lights. But the glowing icicle look could actually be very cool, anyway.

Then we must take in to account weather and wind, can rain get into these icicles and affect them negatively? If wind can't get through will it be able to knock them down or ruin them in some way?
    Interesting points. I would think they'd be pretty waterproof, but maybe that's more complex than I tend to think.

From afar the icicles look really great in my opinion, coming from someone who has icicles on his house as we speak. It's only upon closer inspection that they aren't fully realised. But does it ruin it for me? Not in the least, this is the best the castle has ever looked during christmas!
    Agreed. It's only a problem up close, and while it's definitely a big problem up close, it's not like it ruins the entire castle. Still...it'd be nice to see this problem fixed.

• Defying gravity

From pictures, HKDL's Sleeping Beauty Castle looks beautiful compared to DL's. I'm not sure what kind of lights they're using.

• Vasooki-land Owner

Quote Originally Posted by Goover View Post
    The middle of a recession is not the best time to be worrying about castle icicles.
    I know that was meant to be seerious, but that made me laugh so hard! I mean, pretty much everything we talk about here could get the end of that sentence.

Moral:
    Laugh at yourself.
    We are currently imagineeing a new attraction for you!

Please enjoy all the other attractions in fabulicious Vasooki-land!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess4590 View Post
    From pictures, HKDL's Sleeping Beauty Castle looks beautiful compared to DL's. I'm not sure what kind of lights they're using.
    Not really a fan. Prefer Disneyland's.

~

• Me and Tommy Kirk

The lighting on Cinderella Castle at WDW is ingenious. They're nets of tiny lights that you can barely see if you're standing under the castle. From any distance you can't see the nets at all. Yet at night they're brilliant and make the castle look even bigger than it already is. It would be great if SBC could get the same lighting.

Blog Entries

But then the castle looks incredibly dull during the day at Christmas time. As well, seeing as you can get up close with SB castle.. it would never work.

~

• Walt Disney Fan

Yeah it sounds like a really good idea and it would look awesome but just like you said I doubt disney would put that much effort into it
    "To All Who Come To This Happy Place Welcome" - Walt Disney

• HauntedOne999

moulded icicles would be expensive and probable have to be made into fitted, molded sections, which would take longer to put up and take down... it also might be a weight issue.... the castle is 53 years old.
    Known in most other circles as "HauntedOne999"

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow!"

Disneyland CM Dec. 2005 - May 2007

Blog Entries

as well, how do you fix lights that aren't working/burnt out?

~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast