Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Space Mountain question

The other day I was on Splash Mountain, while on the ride, all the way on the other side of the park I saw Space Mountain. However, it wasn't quite what I expected, I saw what looked liked an open roof. I know it isn't possible because it was closed during the day, but it had a plate shape on the top and the bottom of the plate was black. Does anybody know why this is? Why isnt the top covered?

Re: Space Mountain question

There is an opening at the top for cleaning but it is usually closed in peak season ... and faces towards harbor kinda. So maybe you saw that?

• Fastest Man Alive

Don't know. The roof doesn't 'open'. But obviously something weird was on it.

• =)

I'm a little confused as to what you mean. Are you talking about the very top of the visible mountain? As you can sorta see in this aerial photo, the top of the mountain is rather complex.

• HauntedOne999

The roof does not open or lift off there are only access hatches for painting and cleaning. The only way for the top to be removed would be a wrecking ball.
    Known in most other circles as "HauntedOne999"

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow!"

Disneyland CM Dec. 2005 - May 2007

• Future Imagineer!!

Are you sure it was space mountain you saw?

Keeper of the Dynamite Goat on RCMC

yes I'm sure its space mountain, I know it doesn't open up but there is a part where it dipped in like a plate, and it was black. It was very strange.

• =)

Did you look at the aerial photo I linked to?

• I'm not really here

Image courtesy of TPR (Photo TR: Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage Opens! - Theme Park Review)

This is the view of Space Mountain from the final hill on Splash Mountain. Where on the mountain in this image, was the "door" you noticed and maybe we can sort this out a little better.

The central area that is sunk down on the top of the mountain is always that way, so if this is what you noticed, it is perfectly normal for it to be this way. I'm not totally certain what is up there, but there are microwave communication antennas on the masts above this and I'm sure there are other transmitters there as well. It looks like there may be some HVAC equipment up there as well.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post

Image courtesy of TPR (Photo TR: Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage Opens! - Theme Park Review)

This is the view of Space Mountain from the final hill on Splash Mountain. Where on the mountain in this image, was the "door" you noticed and maybe we can sort this out a little better.

The central area that is sunk down on the top of the mountain is always that way, so if this is what you noticed, it is perfectly normal for it to be this way. I'm not totally certain what is up there, but there are microwave communication antennas on the masts above this and I'm sure there are other transmitters there as well. It looks like there may be some HVAC equipment up there as well.
    Yes that was what I saw, I thought something was missing, I never knew it was sunk in at the top I thought it was always flat.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by light1dragon View Post
    Yes that was what I saw, I thought something was missing, I never knew it was sunk in at the top I thought it was always flat.
    Yeah, it's designed to be kind of easy to not notice. Most people don't even pay attention to what is up there, they just think it's all flat and sealed in.

Glad we could help you figure out what you saw.

Anyone have any better information about what is up there exactly?

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Closed Account

Datameister: That link is awesome bro..wow..better than Google Earthing it I think

• =)

I can't be of much assistance with exactly what sort of equipment is up there, but I do know that the structure is a bit different from how I used to think it was. So Space Mountain appears to consist of two truncated cones, right? A big one with a smaller, steeper one on top? What I didn't realize was that the bigger cone continues up inside the smaller one, forming the "roof" of the mountain a little bit below the top of the smaller cone. Since the top of the small cone is higher, it forms a small depression in the top of the mountain, with one the difference in height being greater on one side because the top of the small cone is angled. This may help.

EDIT: Yeah, GregC, maps.live.com is MUCH better for Disneyland photos than Google Maps/Earth. The main aerial photo and the "Bird's Eye" photos are all worth studying for hours upon hours. I speak from experience.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Sorry for the pun but you guys are making rocket science out of something that is really quite simple.

If you see Data's picture you can see how that part of the roof (the ring structure) sits on top of a sonken-in area. What you are seeing is simply a shadow due to the fact that this area is sunken in. Plaen and simple.

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Sorry for the pun but you guys are making rocket science out of something that is really quite simple.

If you see Data's picture you can see how that part of the roof (the ring structure) sits on top of a sonken-in area. What you are seeing is simply a shadow due to the fact that this area is sunken in. Plaen and simple.
    Well, not quite that simple. But I suppose that's probably a sufficient explanation for the scope of this thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast