Thread: Grad Nites 2009

• Disney aficionado

Grad Nites 2009

For planning ahead purposes I found the grad nite schedule posted in a big earlier news post, I just wanted to draw further attention to them and was wondering a few questions about them...

Disneyland 2009 Grad Nite Dates

For planning purposes, here are the 2009 Grad Nite dates.

Thursday, May 14th
    Thursday, May 21st
    Thursday, May 28th
    Thursday, June 4th
    Wednesday, June 10th
    Thursday, June 11th
    Thursday, June 18th

This special after hour event does have some effect on the regular park schedule.

In May, no real effect, since the park closes at its normal off-season closing time.

But in June, the park has to close by 9 PM (and DCA earlier for a pre-event) on the above dates.

Also, the Magic Morning on Thursday, June 11th has to be cancelled due to the one Wednesday offering.

Now my questions:
    1) Can someone verify they close Disneyland at 9 on grad nites?
    2) Is the regular attendance to the park during the day usually down the day of grad nights since there are no fireworks and the park closes early?
    3) I'm officially going on my honeymoon June 18th, I noticed on that date the official grad nite Disney page had posted:
    I did notice that: Thursday, June 18 Grad Nite is sold out. No Blast Off! scheduled. Would this mean that DCA will be open until the usual closing time since no blast off is scheduled there?

Re: Grad Nites 2009

I'm sure I going to grad nite either on June 10th, 11th, or the 18th.

• I wish I may...

I wish J. High graduation counted

• Boy are we in luck!

Northern California... Not too far, but far enough! :(

To be entirely honest, my school is going to DL for grad nite and I am not too excited. I've only heard a little bit about it but what I have heard has been bad... destruction of the rides, crazyCRAZY crowds, and something about only getting to ride like two rides? Hmph. Doesn't sound like real DL to me.
    "All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."

--Walt Disney

• Not-So-New Member

Oooh, pretty sure my school is going on June 18th.

Quote Originally Posted by princessbrittany View Post
    To be entirely honest, my school is going to DL for grad nite and I am not too excited. I've only heard a little bit about it but what I have heard has been bad... destruction of the rides, crazyCRAZY crowds, and something about only getting to ride like two rides? Hmph. Doesn't sound like real DL to me.
    I went last year as a guest, and yes, the crowds were insane (2-hour waits for Space Mountain and the Matterhorn), but most of the rides are open (not FNSV, IASW, and Toon Town... that's all that I know of since we didn't dare venture past POTC.) And you can ride them as much as you want if you don't mind waiting.

I didn't witness any "destruction" myself, but there were TONS of camera flashes. It was like a mini fireworks show while waiting for SM lol.

When you do go, I suggest you avoid the hub at all costs. It is insanely crowded because of the dance stages set up near the castle. I lost a large portion of my group and had to go back in and risk death amongst the dancing grads to find them. Also, the closer it gets to sunrise, the less wait there is for the rides that had long waits, since people start heading out of the park, so it wasn't too bad in the end (except for the stores being filled with hundreds of hot, sweaty, teens. *gag*).

Oh look, I'm rambling. Well overall, you'll have a great time if you go with the right people and plan things out ahead of time (that long bus ride has to be good for something, right?).
    -Chris

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Yackerz View Post
    Now my questions:
    1) Can someone verify they close Disneyland at 9 on grad nites?
    2) Is the regular attendance to the park during the day usually down the day of grad nights since there are no fireworks and the park closes early?
    3) I'm officially going on my honeymoon June 18th, I noticed on that date the official grad nite Disney page had posted:
    I did notice that: Thursday, June 18 Grad Nite is sold out. No Blast Off! scheduled. Would this mean that DCA will be open until the usual closing time since no blast off is scheduled there?
    1. Yes. I am no expert, though. Whatever schedule has happened in the past will likely happen again.
    2. It's off-season. Could be down because of your reason, or it could be up, because some of the schools from farther away show up early. (Not many, though.)
    3. Most first days of honeymoons are spent doing other things. DCA should rank well below those things. Wink-wink, nudge-nudge, say no more say no more.
    Do note that grad night activities can be a bit loud for the hotel patrons. (But then again, so are honeymoon activities. Wink-wink, nudge-nudge, say no more say no more.)
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Boy are we in luck!

Northern California... Not too far, but far enough! :(

Quote Originally Posted by Weirdo1221 View Post
    Oooh, pretty sure my school is going on June 18th.

I went last year as a guest, and yes, the crowds were insane (2-hour waits for Space Mountain and the Matterhorn), but most of the rides are open (not FNSV, IASW, and Toon Town... that's all that I know of since we didn't dare venture past POTC.) And you can ride them as much as you want if you don't mind waiting.

I didn't witness any "destruction" myself, but there were TONS of camera flashes. It was like a mini fireworks show while waiting for SM lol.

When you do go, I suggest you avoid the hub at all costs. It is insanely crowded because of the dance stages set up near the castle. I lost a large portion of my group and had to go back in and risk death amongst the dancing grads to find them. Also, the closer it gets to sunrise, the less wait there is for the rides that had long waits, since people start heading out of the park, so it wasn't too bad in the end (except for the stores being filled with hundreds of hot, sweaty, teens. *gag*).

Oh look, I'm rambling. Well overall, you'll have a great time if you go with the right people and plan things out ahead of time (that long bus ride has to be good for something, right?).
    Haha I've heard about the constant flashes. And I didn't even know that there are dance floors! Wow, I'm way out of the loop here. All I know is that I'm not allowed to wear red or blue, since that can associate me with a gang
    "All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."

--Walt Disney