Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• It's all about Theme!

Smile An In-Depth Guide to the changes in "It's A Small World" w/ Photos + More

UPDATE: I have added The Middle East/ China/ Japan to the Inside Look, Scroll down this page to see it!

UPDATE: I have just added Africa/ South America to the Inside Look, Scroll down this page to see it!

UPDATE: I forgot to add a character to India and I have adjusted accordingly.

UPDATE: I have just added Polynesia/ America to the Inside Look, go to the 2nd Page to see it!

UPDATE: I have just added the Finale to the Inside Look, go to the 2nd page to see it!

UPDATE!: Some Random Photos from Around the Small World are now on the 3rd Page!

Coming Later Tonight: More Random Shots!

Hi Everyone! This thread will be a huge spoiler because it will show you where to expect the new changes in It's A Small World with Pictures. I am happy to say that this thread contains no rants nor any dead horse beating. So enjoy!

Before we begin, I would like to remind everyone that the set pieces for all of these scenes except Aladdin's and Cinderella have already been installed.

NOTE: None of this is confirmed by Disney. Inferring from Hong Kong DL and from my knowledge of where there have been sets that are moved, this is the most accurate description at this point.

This is also a review from my 7 rides I took when the attraction reopened. I would like to say a few words. The ride may look nice, but in reality it is a mess. Walt Disney used to say that if a character was missing, the show would go to pieces. In It's A Small World, the attraction has been reopened with Characters missing all over the place . The facade is having major electrical issues, never have I seen such a problem like this. The problem is, there are no permanent solutions. You will see where later as I show you all the changes.

Let's Get Started!

Part 1- The Facade

No changes really. That's obvious. However, I want to point out how horrible the lighting is this year. Sometimes everything in the garden areas are out. Sometimes 1/2 the facade is out. Here are some photos, I wasn't able to snap photos of the most severe problems. But here are a few minimal ones.

The most common side effect, part of the clock tower isn't working.

Half Out.

Really minimal problem here. Parts of the back facade aren't lit. Nothing I would cry over.

Believe it or not there were times where this entire side would go out.

On this pic you can see all of the plantlife has gone out. Except a few topiaries. One you can see in the picture.

Part 2- The Scandinavia room

First room with children and we see our first child MIA.

I do not believe however that this will be a character, as we continue I will list a few MIA characters that should just still be in the paintshop (hopefully)

FIRST CHARACTER ALERT!

Don't worry, I am certain the kids will still be skating. But you see those set pieces on what looks to be a second rink? Well that set has been there for over 40 years. It will see its day for a plastic looking Bambi. Check the HKDL Site for photos of that.

My Review: I will get over the characters as long as they are in the Mary Blair style. IMO this one looks like plastic and not like a "Mary Blair" character. Hopefully it will be improved from HKDL. The good news is it is more off in the back and will not be "as" obstructive to the show. However, we will be driven straight at it. There will be more instances of this later.

Another photo for you. Now as you pass over the tunnel into the next room. You will see some "Mary Blair" style trees. I think that this will be the possible home of Pochahontas. I can't guarantee this, she could be placed in the new America scene. But there is a chance you might see her here.

Part 3- Europe

Welcome!

No There won't be any changes here. As you continue through london however, there will be.

Character Alert

Here you can see rose bushes. There a "Mary Blair" Alice will stand.

Don't worry. This girl is only here during the Holidays I think. You can see a rose bush behind her.

My Review: I don't mind this as much. I never paid attention to that side anyway and I love Alice. It is out of our way and won't be an attention grabber. I can be happy to say that this will be like a real Mary Blair doll. On the other side will be France with one less notable character

Welcome to France!

Expect to see a semi-plastic looking Marie from Aristocats sitting on the canopy above the dancers.

My Review: The face tunes me off, but not as much as the Bambi earlier. It is tiny and won't be obstructive. I bet that nobody will even notice that its a Disney character.

Good News. Don't expect any character's additions in the Netherlands, Ireland, Scotland, Spain, or in Germany (Alps).

Character Alert

I don't have any photos because this being a major set none has been assembled. Expect a possible huge Cinderella unit either on the relatively blank area by Spain or placed in between some of the other sets where there isn't much going on. There are many candidates for space. I'm betting on the blank area by Spain.

My Review: Cinderella actually looks in the Mary Blair Style. But does she have to have a huge Castle and her own movie music playing behind her? I am praying that that doesn't happen.

Character Alert

Welcome to Italy, the home of Pinnochio.

Off to the side a new little puppet house is already built. It is covered with a curtain hiding the figure likely already inside. Expect to hear another musical deviation with When you Wish Upon a Star.

My Review: Don't mind it much. But you can tell that the puppet is new. It just doesn't match well.

More to Come! Stay Tuned!

Last edited by Walt Jr.; 12-29-2008 at 07:57 PM.
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

• Banned User

Re: An In-Depth Guide to the changes in "It's A Small World" w/ Photos + More

Very interesting! Keep it coming!

• It's all about Theme!

Part 4- The Middle East/ China/ Japan will be here later tonight. Stay Tuned!

-August 1st 2010

-August 2nd 2010

• Boat shoes all day long

Lightbulb Re: An In-Depth Guide to the changes in "It's A Small World" w/ Photos + More

The gold jackets yours Happy, Shooter's gonna choke!
    "Let's get weird" -Abraham Lincoln

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BoygunaSurf View Post
    The gold jackets yours Happy, Shooter's gonna choke!
    And he does!!!

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Excellent work so far. Looking forward to reading the rest.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• MiceChat Moderator
    • ♠ Pirate Wizard ♠

Blog Entries

+1
    You can never run out of imagination. The more you use, the more you gain.

• It's all about Theme!

Part 4- The Middle East/ China/ Japan

Here we go!

Good News: You won't see many changes here!
    Bad news: the biggest change will be guaranteed in your face.

Good News: Russia Sees no Changes!

Character Alert!

Below Russia, currently there is one change you might notice.

An entire new set entirely devoted to the movie Aladdin will likely be built. For a better look, check out the HKDL website.

Expect to hear A Whole New World while Passing By

My Review: These Aladdin Sets will be in your face, right in front of your boat. I am satisfied that the dolls will be "Mary Blair" doll. And for the children's sake, No Music

Nothing New Here.

Or over Here.

No Minnie won't join this band.

EDIT: Keep an eye out for Baloo from The Jungle Book. There doesn't look to be any blank areas near India. So likely a new platform will be built by the current set. Possibly on some blank space at the edge of Thailand as well there is some space that can be used. That space is also near India. This addition will be very close to the audience and won't be Mary Blair. There still is the possibility also that you will see them be in Africa as well. Better chance here however.

My Review: These sets look absolutely beautiful and I am so happy that they won't be ruined by any additions.

Character Alert!

Now Mulan will be joining China. There are two possible places for the addition.

One is around here, a little representation of the great wall of China and a chinese Temple.

On the other side there are those mountains w/ the kite fliers. Mulan might be there too.

Nothing In Japan however.

My Review: I'm fine with one character, likely in the background. She will be like a Mary Blair doll so that's fine. This is an OK addition.

More to Come: Africa and South America later tonight!

Last edited by Walt Jr.; 12-29-2008 at 12:37 PM.
    -August 1st 2010

-August 2nd 2010

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Jr. View Post

More to Come: Africa and South America later tonight!
    You are pretty good at keeping me up all night. LOL!

• It's all about Theme!

Part 5: Africa/South America

This scene is one that I never really liked and for this scene I never really paid attention. So I went back into some video archives to find any changes.

Character Alert

Stills from Pre Refurb and Stills from this one show that the 3 children who sing closer to the L side of the room have been moved a little to the right.

Expect to see characters from the Lion King in that area. This includes Simba, Pummba, and Timon.

There is the remote possibility that the characters from The Jungle Book might also be included in this sequence. Either in the same area or on the right between the Zebra and Laughing Hyenas.

On To South America.

Only one major change here and it too will be In Your Face.

Now, what is funny in this case is that there is a structure at the end of the room that seems to have been built in the last few years, but was here Pre-Refurb

When the attraction opened, guests would see the three straw cowboys (or whatever they are) on the little platform before exiting.

(Sorry for the bad photo) Now sometime after that, this structure was built behind them. This photo was taken last Holiday overlay.

Now, the structure hasn't been changed at all. But the 1 figure has gone completely. The other two have been shoved into the shadowed corner.

A look at this figure unceremoniously taken from its perch.

which brings us to...

Character Alert!

In this exact structure expect to see Donald and his two pals from Disney's the three caballeros.

My Review: I love those little straw guys and didn't like how they were just thrown to the side like that. They aren't even lit. Yes the photo above was a flash. What I don't like the most is that for the entire scene this is what will always be dead in front of you. It will command attention. It is like Mara in Indy, you are driven straight toward this Mara, you can't avoid the gaze. F- for making it in the background.

Food for Thought!

Could it be that Disney actually started construction for these characters before this refurb? That structure has been around for a while but wasn't included when the attraction first opened. It is a large structure to just be a background. Discuss!

I will be back with Part 6: A trip to Polynesia and an ughhh... America

Last edited by Walt Jr.; 12-28-2008 at 09:01 PM.
    -August 1st 2010

-August 2nd 2010

So expect possibly characters from the Jungle Book there including Baloo.
    It would make little sense to have Baloo in Africa considering the Jungle Book takes place in the jungles of India.

• It's all about Theme!

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    It would make little sense to have Baloo in Africa considering the Jungle Book takes place in the jungles of India.
    Thanks for telling me. I have adjusted everything. =) Thanks!
    Last edited by Walt Jr.; 12-28-2008 at 08:58 PM.
    -August 1st 2010

-August 2nd 2010

I just looked back and totally remembered that. I have to do some editing in both parts thanks.
    Your welcome but I can see Disney doing it considering in Hong Kong they put Pocahontas in Canada when she is from Virginia.

• It's all about Theme!

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    Your welcome but I can see Disney doing it considering in Hong Kong they put Pocahontas in Canada when she is from Virginia.
    I edited to say that it could go both ways. Considering the space in the "America" room it's likely that Pocahontas would remain Canadian or at least in that general room.

More to come hopefully later tonight. =)
    -August 1st 2010

-August 2nd 2010

I edited to say that it could go both ways. Considering the space in the "America" room it's likely that Pocahontas would remain Canadian or at least in that general room.

More to come hopefully later tonight. =)
    Im' still awake.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast