Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Banned User

Splash Mountain to raise height restriction

Got a google update on this. Seems that they are raising SM's height restriction from 40in to 60 in.
    http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2008-01/34813426.jpg
    Disneyland has raised the height requirement for the Splash Mountain log flume ride to one of the highest levels in the amusement park industry out of concerns for rider safety.
    The “temporary height restriction” for the front seat of Splash Mountain has been raised from 40 inches to 60 inches so the Anaheim theme park can “evaluate options to improve comfort and safety,” Disneyland spokesman Rob Doughty said in a written statement.
    MiceAge columnist David “Darkbeer” Michael reported that small children who sometimes duck under the front of the hollow log have been injured. Disneyland’s Doughty said no specific incident triggered the “short term” change on the restraintless ride.
    No other attraction at Disneyland or Disney’s California Adventure has a height restriction over 54 inches, the same requirement for the most extreme amusement park rides, according to Roller Coaster Database.
    “A five-foot height requirement on anything less than an extreme roller coaster is absurd,” said Robert Niles, who runs the Theme Park Insider website that tracks amusement park accidents.
    Based on the Disney movie “Song of the South,” Splash Mountain takes riders through faux swamps, inhabited by animatronic characters that cavort and sing “Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah,” before sending them 50 feet down a 45-degree drop at 40 mph.
    Built in 1989, the Disneyland attraction can accommodate four to six riders who straddle bench seats in a single file. The Walt Disney World and Tokyo Disneyland versions of Splash Mountain, both built in 1992, feature log flumes that seat eight riders in four separate rows.
    http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2007-12/34419893.jpgFind the latest amusement and theme park news at the
    Los Angeles Times Funland blog: www.latimes.com/funland
    — Brady MacDonald, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
    Now I personally don't see a problem with this. Kids do get stuck, or injured, so for the front seat, raise the height, but still allow kids under 40in to ride in the back. However, doesn't this seem a little hypocritical? In the queue isn't there signs posted, shortest in front, tallest in back? I know people don't follow that usually but still.
    Last edited by NeverNeverland; 12-29-2008 at 06:00 PM.

• Sock Puppet

Re: Splash Mountain to raise height restriction

I'm sure it was a decision based on a pending lawsuit.

Someone doing something that they shouldn't have been, and then blaming the company for their own actions.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least...

Um, this happened back in March.

• "I Break Things"

Having worked it in previous years... this doesn't surprise me.

The specific issue is that kids would try to duck under the pad in front, or be squished into the pad in front. In both cases it would lead to a face or mouth injury (I've seen both)... so to have someone taller in front makes sense. I can't say 5ft is logical... but definitely more then 40in.

As to the lawsuit comment... wouldn't shock me... but I am not so sure this one would be "Guest Stupidity" as stated before I had seen facial injuries related to little kids and face/mouth hitting the front pad!

I also find it unbelievably sad that an attraction that once held in excess of 7 people has been reduced to a 6 or less capacity. Granted 2 in the front and "make it fit" wasn't overly safe either... but the current design severely limits the capacity of the log.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

So they've already raised the restriction? Or they will be raising it sometime soon?

I think my 5 year old is 40 inches or so and he was able to ride no problem. I do remember worrying about him on the drops, as we were in the front of the log each time, so if they're raising it (or already have), I won't be surprised. It will be kinda disappointing for the lad when we go back at the end of Jan., though.

Note: the height restriction is 60 inches for the front row only.
    It went into effect in early 2008, before summer, and has been working out just fine.

• Keep Moving Forward

mrfantasmic is completely right. The 60 inch rule is only for the very front seat and has indeed been around for quite a while. And no, there are no signs in the queue saying that you should fill the log with the shortest up front and the tallest in the back. I'm not even sure if how we'd do that. If three parties of two showed up in a row, each consisting of a short person and a tall person, we wouldn't split them up so that all three tall people would be in the back and the three short people would be up front. You might be thinking of the Matterhorn.

Quite frankly I'm not sure why this is such a crime.
    Last edited by Legacy; 12-29-2008 at 10:10 AM.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Legacy View Post
    mrfantasmic is completely right. The 60 inch rule is only for the very front seat and has indeed been around for quite a while. And no, there are no signs in the queue saying that you should fill the log with the shortest up front and the tallest in the back. I'm not even sure if how we'd do that. If three parties of two showed up in a row, each consisting of a short person and a tall person, we wouldn't split them up so that all three tall people would be in the back and the three short people would be up front. You might be thinking of the Matterhorn.

Quite frankly I'm not sure why this is such a crime.
    Maybe. I though I saw a small sign as you get closer to the loading dock, but maybe it was taken down, idk. What I mean is, inside your own party, smallest first, largest second. So, you still may have two parties, but wouldn't the smallest go first, largest go second? That makes sense to me. I do know matterhorn has the sign, as my parties have had to change riders around a few times. And I saw this online, didn't know it's been in effect, so thought I'd post it. I really haven't seen anything around Splash Mountain that takes this into effect. Is there?
    Last edited by MainStreetJake; 12-29-2008 at 10:46 AM.

• Senior Monorail Minion

Not sure, but we have a big mouse in town ;)

The Matterhorn's sign is sort of incorrect. If you have two couples, the smaller of the couple go in the lap of the other. . For families, many decide to have 1 parent and 1 child in each compartment. They just want to make sure the bigger person is on the bottom
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

• Keep Moving Forward

Quote Originally Posted by MainSreetJake View Post
    Maybe. I though I saw a small sign as you get closer to the loading dock, but maybe it was taken down, idk. What I mean is, inside your own party, smallest first, largest second. So, you still may have two parties, but wouldn't the smallest go first, largest go second? That makes sense to me. I do know matterhorn has the sign, as my parties have had to change riders around a few times. And I saw this online, didn't know it's been in effect, so thought I'd post it. I really haven't seen anything around Splash Mountain that takes this into effect. Is there?
    That might have been back when we had the old logs, although I wasn't around then so I can't say for sure.

Anyway, now that everyone gets an individual seat, it really doesn't matter who gets in first or where they sit (aside from a situation involving the front). Once they find out which rows to take, parties generally arrange themselves within those rows, depending on who in the party wants to sit where.

• Large and in Charge

Is this still being enforced? When I went on Splash last month I definitely saw kids under 60in in the front seat.
    It's a stiff!!!

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Legacy View Post
    That might have been back when we had the old logs, although I wasn't around then so I can't say for sure.

Anyway, now that everyone gets an individual seat, it really doesn't matter who gets in first or where they sit (aside from a situation involving the front). Once they find out which rows to take, parties generally arrange themselves within those rows, depending on who in the party wants to sit where.
    I don't remember a sign of that fashion... I know that for the most part individual parties did that arrangement for photo purposes (although you see everyone in the log so it didn't really matter after all. The only time I remember arranging people was specifically to get the whole party to fit... and that was "fluffyness", not height...

Remember for the longest time it was 3 in the front, then switched to "2 only" but after that it was "whatever fits" right up until DOSH established an actual number. It wasn't uncommon to have parties of 7 or 8 or even 9 in a log... sometimes more if they really wanted to squish. That was my point... it went from a high capacity to a much lower capacity. As to the little kids in the front, I remember a few busted lips, a broken nose, but it was never clear if the kid did it or if they were squished into it by the person behind them.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

As the source of the original news, yes it was at a higher level for the FRONT SEAT only from March until June of 2008. During that time, Disney upgraded all the logs in the fleet with additional padding in the area in front of the front seat, including the area where a person's legs go.

The info I reported was from Cast Members that operate the ride, as you can see in Brady MacDonald's LA Times article, he got a Disneyland Spokesperson to go on record. Of course, he tried to spin it to place Disney in the best light. But there were some minor injuries to the kids, including some bleeding (and head wounds bleed heavier than most other wounds, even if it is a cut that doesn't even require stitches). SO he was right, it was not ONE specific incident, it was a series of minor issues that had Disney take corrective action.

And now there are no restrictions on riding the Splash Mountain Logs (well, 2 adults are not allowed in the back seat, only one person, or an adult with a small child). Of course, the 40" height requirement does remain in force.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• MC, this is LD

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer View Post
    And now there are no restrictions on riding the Splash Mountain Logs (well, 2 adults are not allowed in the back seat, only one person, or an adult with a small child). Of course, the 40" height requirement does remain in force.
    My 6 yo brother (who is 46") still isn't allowed in the front seat...
    Last edited by KAN; 12-29-2008 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Darn typo!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • has a brand new mindset

Six years old and 26"? Are you sure on that height?
    I love my awesome crazy wonderful friends!!

"Do you remember in kindergarten, how you’d meet a kid,
    then 10 seconds later you’d be playing like you were best friends?"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast