Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Senior Minion

Should DCA be branded as ..... "DCA"?

So the other night I was discussing the future of DCA with my sister and I mentioned to her that Blue Sky Disney had reported that Disney was now leaning toward keeping the name unchanged. We both had some mixed feelings about it, but overall thought it was probably a good idea. We felt the name is probably more appropriate to the new version of the park than the original, that it has a certain ring to it, and that the vast majority of the general public probably doesn't have such a bad opinion of it that a name change would be beneficial.

My sister is a small business owner and has a marketing background too, and she made a couple of suggestions that I thought were really good and I wanted to see what you all thought. The first is that she strongly felt that the "Disney" needed to be attached to the name at all times. She said both because of the new branding image of the park and the increased influence of "Disney" in the park, as well as the strenth of the Disney brand itself, they should avoid references to just California Adventure and use the full DCA name.

The second suggestion she gave was that they should start refering to the park in marketing materials with the acronym "DCA". She felt that this would be more short and memorable name and also help to contribute to giving it a new identity without changing the name.

It seems pretty natural because it's what we all call it, but the one thing that would worry me would be that it could sound like they're trying to be a little too hip or cool. I wouldn't want that to be the impression people get. I guess I had that impression of KFC when they changed, and now I say KFC without even thinking about it and probably did before they officially changed the name, so that may only be a short term issue. I do think it's easy to remember, rolls of the tongue well, and is already familiar to many Disney fans, so it could work well. What do you think?
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Re: Should DCA be branded as ..... "DCA"?

I really don't think they will keep the DCA name. By the time the Carsland opens, much of the original theme of the park will be gone and "California Adventure" won't make sense any more.

After spending as much to rebuild the park as they originally spent to slap it together, they will get more marketing power out of rebranding it and pitching the park as something new, rather than something fixed.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Iron-Clad Allie

Yes indeed. With great pleasure, within the next couple of years we will finally be able to kiss the limiting and redundant California Adventure theme GOODBYE forever! The old park and it's theme are beyond repair. People are excited about the fresh new park that is emerging.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

The only people who call it DCA are micechatters.

When I refer to Disney's California Adventure to "lay people" as DCA most of the time they have no clue what I'm talking about. Most of the time I have to specifically say "California Adventure" or "Disney's California Adventure" for them to know what I am talking about.

If the park's name doesn't get changed entirely, Disney should not refer to it as "DCA".

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post

When I refer to Disney's California Adventure to "lay people" as DCA most of the time they have no clue what I'm talking about. Most of the time I have to specifically say "California Adventure" or "Disney's California Adventure" for them to know what I am talking about.

If the park's name doesn't get changed entirely, Disney should not refer to it as "DCA".
    I agree that right now nobody in the general public would know what you're talking about right now if you call it DCA, but I wouldn't say that only Micechatters call it DCA. The entire online fan community calls it DCA.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

The names that had been thrown around for the park where not much diferent than what the original name is. I am sure that there were several reasons for not making those slight changes to the name. The park is still suppose to have several themed elements that remind people of the state but will have a big Disney influence to it.

I am sure that once the park gets rebranded it will have strong references to the Disney part of the title. Keeping the name will also save them hundreds of thousands of dollars and costs. Everything from small signs to large permanent fixtures that have the parks name alover the resort do not need to be replaced.

Basically the simple removal of the large California letters upfront will add strength to the "Disney" part of the name "Disney's California adventure"

• Senior Minion

Thanks Baloo, that's kind of the point I was making too. The name will still fit the park quite well, they just need to stress the Disney aspect more. It doesn't make all that much sense to change it only very slightly, especially with all the costs that would require, as you point out.

It seems like they're already starting a rebranding process, while keeping the name. After a noteable absence of DCA branded mechandise since the announcement last year in the last month or so I've noticed a lot more stuff being sold with the full DCA moniker and a classic looking Mickey with the new PP in the background. It seems like some physical evidence that this is really the direction they're going.
    -Walt Disney

• Banned User

I don't mind the California theme, I thought it was a nice idea. It might have been horribly executed, but I didn't and still don't think it's a waste of a park.

Isn't the new front supposed to be Los Angeles circa 1920s? And Hollywood Studios? I think there's going to be enough California left to warrant keeping the name.

• Senior Minion

So for you guys that think it can be kept, do you like the idea of marketing it as 'DCA' or do you think they should always write out Disney's California Adventure?
    -Walt Disney

• Wait, what?

Blog Entries

I've been calling it DCA since my first visit in July 2001.

• always, the freaky cat

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    I really don't think they will keep the DCA name. By the time the Carsland opens, much of the original theme of the park will be gone and "California Adventure" won't make sense any more.
    I seem to be in the minority, but it seems to me that Carsland fits in nicely with the "California Adventure" theme. A big part of the "California Adventure" is getting to California, and for a great many people, getting to California meant traveling route 66. There could be signs that say "California... 600 miles" or something like that all over. Remember, when Lightning McQueen got stuck in Radiator Springs, he was trying to get to California.

If DCA were laid out better, perhaps one could even enter the park at Radiator Springs/Carsland, and then follow route 66 to California--Hollywood, Paradise Pier, etc. Even better would be to have it be a sort of "route 66-land," only loosely based on the movie Cars. It would even be possible to have such a land with no references to the movie at all (although we all know THAT aint' gonna happen!)

The following is quoted from BlueSkyDisney.

"It appears the current line of thinking is to have the park themed to all the wonders that come out of California and to reflect it in the show details and rides. So just because Ariel is in the pier doesn't mean she isn't from the Golden State... Disney's version was born here. And that is the direction they seem to be headed. This isn't going to be a park celebrating California, it's going to be a park celebrating "Disney's" California."

I find it interesting that without having to rename the park, they are effectively broadening the theme to include just about anything related to Walt Disney the man, or Walt Disney the company. Personally, I have never liked the idea of a park about California in California, but I can live with this tweak of the theme.

It will be interesting to see how they are able to message this to the public, especially those who have prior experience with the park and bothered to read the dedication plaque.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    funny... I never noticed the one it had when it opened!

Actually Disney proper refers to it as DCA in regards to CM's... to the public it has the official title of Disney's California Adventure (or Disneyland's Crappy Alternative take your pick)

Quote Originally Posted by DarthDucky View Post
    I've been calling it DCA since my first visit in July 2001.
    I've been calling it "Parking Lot" since my first visit in March 1983.

Personally I don't care about the name, I care about what's in the park. If they stuff it full of crap they could have the most creative name ever... it would be a creative piece of crap... just my 2 cents.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Imagineerfan View Post
    I find it interesting that without having to rename the park, they are effectively broadening the theme to include just about anything related to Walt Disney the man, or Walt Disney the company.
    Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I think it's rather clever. A complete 180 from celebrating California and it's history, a branded California Adventure to the story of one man, Disney's California Adventure. Clever clever clever. And I don't mind it, either.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    funny... I never noticed the one it had when it opened!

Actually Disney proper refers to it as DCA in regards to CM's... to the public it has the official title of Disney's California Adventure (or Disneyland's Crappy Alternative take your pick)

I've been calling it "Parking Lot" since my first visit in March 1983.

Personally I don't care about the name, I care about what's in the park. If they stuff it full of crap they could have the most creative name ever... it would be a creative piece of crap... just my 2 cents.
    I kind of thought Disney did refer to it in house as DCA, but I wasn't sure. It goes to show though that it might be a good idea to market it as DCA too. Disney's California Adventure is just too long to say. I also agree that in the end the name isn't that important to most people. It will be judged by its quality, which is what they forgot in the first place. I mean Disneyland is kind of a weird name when you think about it, but we're all just used to it.
    -Walt Disney

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast