Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

California Screamin speed

I've ridden California Screamin many times, including twice today (Jan 30). The second time I rode it, it seemed scarily fast, it managed to clear the top of the big hill without slowing down at all. It seemed as it if it didn't brake or slow down until the very end when it braked hard. The music cut out right after the first hill. Is it normal for it to occasionally go that fast? Or was it just a random thing?

Re: California Screamin speed

Quote Originally Posted by tigerfalcon007 View Post
    I've ridden California Screamin many times, including twice today (Jan 30). The second time I rode it, it seemed scarily fast, it managed to clear the top of the big hill without slowing down at all. It seemed as it if it didn't brake or slow down until the very end when it braked hard. The music cut out right after the first hill. Is it normal for it to occasionally go that fast? Or was it just a random thing?

I'm of no help to your question, but it sounds like you came into the station on a wing and a prayer.

• Senior Monorail Minion

It really depends where you sit. It FEELS faster in the from cars of the train because you go over the first hill no problem so that the cars in tow can clear it. If your in the back, it feels slower because your being pulled over and you don't get that "just lifted right out of my seat" feeling. Make sense?

I highly doubt that there was a malfunction because that most likely would have caused a train to invade another train's block therefore putting the entire ride into an E-stop.

So, the question is, where were you sitting both times?
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

• Addicted to MC since '08

Quote Originally Posted by Eric5675 View Post
    It really depends where you sit. It FEELS faster in the from cars of the train because you go over the first hill no problem so that the cars in tow can clear it. If your in the back, it feels slower because your being pulled over and you don't get that "just lifted right out of my seat" feeling. Make sense?
    I always thought the back cars of most coasters were the ones that gave you the most airtime... they give you that whiplash feeling. (see BTMR, the front goes extremely slow down the drops, whereas the back get's whipped over the top of the hill.)

But yeah tiggerfalcon007, like Eric5675 said, it all depends on where you're seated during the ride. Depending on where you sat, you may of had a different "experience" although the ride systems never changed. (See BTMR)

• Driver Your Turn Is Clear

Costa Mesa, CA - 10.33 Miles South of DLR

From having ridden Screamin' many times... The front of this coaster is by far the best ride. The further you sit up front the faster it feels.

This is of course contrary to every other roller coaster I have ever ridden!
    Check out My Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 rides... I'm always working on another one... I hope they make you want to go to Disneyland.

"Disneyland is the star, everything else is in the supporting role."
    ~Walt Disney~

• Addicted to MC since '08

Quote Originally Posted by Jgooss View Post
    From having ridden Screamin' many times... The front of this coaster is by far the best ride. The further you sit up front the faster it feels.

This is of course contrary to every other roller coaster I have ever ridden!
    I usually prefer the back to most coasters, with Screamin and Everest as the exceptions.

• Driver Your Turn Is Clear

Costa Mesa, CA - 10.33 Miles South of DLR

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPro View Post
    I usually prefer the back to most coasters, with Screamin and Everest as the exceptions.
    Good to know about Everest. I know what to ask for the first time I visit!

Thanks!
    Check out My Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 rides... I'm always working on another one... I hope they make you want to go to Disneyland.

"Disneyland is the star, everything else is in the supporting role."
    ~Walt Disney~

• I'm not really here

I hear this all the time: "x or y part of a coaster is faster."

This is not true. ALL parts of a coaster travel at the exact same speed otherwise the cars would separate, fly off the tracks and people would die.

It is all perception, and there are several things involved in this.

To some people the front feels faster:
    The front cars have an unobstructed forward view which means a much wider vista. The front cars also have a much lower plastic piece in front of you which allows you to see the track passing below you. You also get the full effect of the wind in your face.

All of these combined make the front feel faster at times. However, when you are getting ready to go over a drop, the front cars must wait for the back cars of the train to disengage from the lift mechanism (chain, etc). Depending on the length of the train, the front cars can actually dangle down the hill a bit, leaving you literally hanging from your restraint, for a few moments. This is definitely not faster.

To some the back feels faster:
    Despite not having the open view or full force of the wind in your face, the back has the more "constant" feeling of velocity. You are never held back and left dangling so it feels as if you have a higher constant speed even though you are going the same speed as the front.

It is all perception and both ends have their pros and cons.

There are also times when the ride control system alters the speed of the trains. There are several points along the track where there are brakes to slow the train down if it is going too fast, and what look like LIM (linear induction motors) segments to speed it up a little if too slow.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Banned User

^^I agree, however, the back tends to have a small amounta more of airtime. It may go the same speed, but, the back has more airtime, because of that little whip at the end of the train. The front does seem faster because of the unobstructed view. After my last ride on Screamin, the back is really beginning to feel rougher. Oh, and the music does cut out sometimes...I don't know why, but it does. Hope that answers your question Tigerfalcon007!

• Senior Monorail Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    I hear this all the time: "x or y part of a coaster is faster."

This is not true. ALL parts of a coaster travel at the exact same speed otherwise the cars would separate, fly off the tracks and people would die.

It is all perception, and there are several things involved in this.

To some people the front feels faster:
    The front cars have an unobstructed forward view which means a much wider vista. The front cars also have a much lower plastic piece in front of you which allows you to see the track passing below you. You also get the full effect of the wind in your face.

All of these combined make the front feel faster at times. However, when you are getting ready to go over a drop, the front cars must wait for the back cars of the train to disengage from the lift mechanism (chain, etc). Depending on the length of the train, the front cars can actually dangle down the hill a bit, leaving you literally hanging from your restraint, for a few moments. This is definitely not faster.

To some the back feels faster:
    Despite not having the open view or full force of the wind in your face, the back has the more "constant" feeling of velocity. You are never held back and left dangling so it feels as if you have a higher constant speed even though you are going the same speed as the front.

It is all perception and both ends have their pros and cons.

There are also times when the ride control system alters the speed of the trains. There are several points along the track where there are brakes to slow the train down if it is going too fast, and what look like LIM (linear induction motors) segments to speed it up a little if too slow.
    I don't believe anyone claimed the front WAS faster, but that the front FELT faster. This feeling is uually on the first hill because the front of the train goes over the crest at a speed higher than the back does when it goes over the crest. Yes this is possible.
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by MainSreetJake View Post
    It may go the same speed, but, the back has more airtime, because of that little whip at the end of the train.
    What little whip on the end? I've ridden that ride countless times and sat in pretty much every seat on the train on all the various trains and I have never felt a little whip. Can you be more specific?

The wheel assemblies on the train cars are all identical. The back car can't lift up any more than any of the other cars in the train or again, you'd have issues with linkage between the trains over time. The upstops (wheels below the track that keep the train on the track) are all within the same very narrow tolerance of each other. It is a narrow enough tolerance that you wouldn't notice a difference at all. Again, I think this is a perceptual difference related to your perception of the "speed." Roller coasters rely heavily on tricking your senses and freaking out your inner ear.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by Eric5675 View Post
    I don't believe anyone claimed the front WAS faster, but that the front FELT faster. This feeling is uually on the first hill because the front of the train goes over the crest at a speed higher than the back does when it goes over the crest. Yes this is possible.
    You are correct, no one on this particular thread had said that, but I have heard it in person at many parks and seen it on these threads before so I figured I'd nip it in the bud before it ever became a bud.

As for the first hill, it will be the same speed. Trains are accelerated up to 55mph by the launch system. Rather than do the math and get real numbers, let's just assume that the train slows down by about 10 mph by the time the front car reaches the crest of the 1st hill. The 1st car goes over at about 45 mph. At this exact instant, the back car is also going 45 mph, but the bulk of the train still has to go up the hill and gravity continues to slow the speed.

However, as the middle car of the train passes over the crest, the bulk of the train is now going downhill and gravity is increasing the velocity. Let's say that in the time it takes from the 1st to the middle car the train slowed down by about 2 mph and is now going 43mph (the back car is going this speed as well now). Now that the middle car is over, the speed will increase by the same amount as it slowed in the first half (roughly, it will actually go faster because the down side of the hill is steeper, reducing friction on the wheels). This means that as the back car passes over the hill it will be going 45mph again (or actually a tad bit faster due to the friction differences). Again, all this happens so fast that the differences in velocity are a single mph or so at most and fractions faster. It isn't really perceptible.

• Banned User

If it was over-speeding and the sensors sensed that, it would probably break the ride down due to an unusual condition.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyMickey View Post
    If it was over-speeding and the sensors sensed that, it would probably break the ride down due to an unusual condition.
    I've ridden several times and felt the brakes kick in right before the drop into the loop as well as right before the air time hills. Not being a ride operator, I can't say what would happen if one of the cars was going excessively fast. I don't imagine they would want to estop the ride because that would stop all the trains in the stop zones out on the track and if one is going REALLY fast, its designated brake zone may not stop it leading to a rear end collision with the train ahead when it catches it. Any Screamin' operators know what happens here?

• Circle of Ancients

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast