Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Senior Monorail Minion

Re: Tomorrowland Starcade Escalator???

It would be nice to have it as part of the queue, wouldn't it. Heck, why don't they just put switchbacks up on the 2nd floor to keep you out of the sun and in the ac and only use the top SM queue when needed!
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!
    by intoxication, i'm pretty sure the OP meant that disneyland just gave us a free acid trip.
    -PLAUGED reffering to the Winnie the Pooh ride...

• Thinking about doughnuts

Now that I think about it (neurons take time to wake up at my age), the main escalators for SM used to go right up the center of the area. They took you to the level above the stage where the SM queue was. But you could also use the Starcade escalator as a shortcut if the line wasn't that long if you were willing to hop a chain (shame on us!).

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by Macro View Post
    Now that I think about it (neurons take time to wake up at my age), the main escalators for SM used to go right up the center of the area. They took you to the level above the stage where the SM queue was. But you could also use the Starcade escalator as a shortcut if the line wasn't that long if you were willing to hop a chain (shame on us!).
    This was back when I was too terrified to ride anything. I remember my brothers doing that though. I miss the central speedramps... they just looked so cool!

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Thinking about doughnuts

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    This was back when I was too terrified to ride anything. I remember my brothers doing that though. I miss the central speedramps... they just looked so cool!
    The other fun part was that you could see the shows on the Space Stage while you were standing in line. I remember seeing Sister Sledge while waiting one time (We are famileeeee. I got all my sisters with meeeee. ad infinitum).

• Rest In Peace, Old Friend

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    I miss the central speedramps... they just looked so cool!
    Speedramp. I think that was coined for the ramps for the People Mover. Ah, the People Mover...
    Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Veteran

• FastPass n00b

Starcade was a true attraction when it opened, it was just as fun and exciting as any non-ride attraction could be in Disneyland. But the years have not been kind to it and it peaked some time in the 1980's. Last time it was even remotely fun was in the early 90's, and even then there was always something more fun to do.

It's so sad to see how it's become a shell of its former self. That entire area used to have SO much energy with Starcade, Captain EO, Space Mountain's outdoor speed ramp, the PeopleMover going through, and the restaurant downstairs. It was WAY different in the 1980's than it is today. Today all that stuff is gone and Space Mountain is pretty much the only thing worth the venture into that empty corner of Tomorrowland now.

I remember the last year before the upper floor was closed, I'd try going up there because it was suddenly so much less crowded than the first floor, and find that the reason it wasn't crowded anymore was that all the games up there sucked. It used to be that the amount of fun was much more even between floors, but that year it seemed like they were purposely making the second floor unpopular so that they'd have an excuse to close it. They suddenly got rid of the air hockey and made the second floor a dumping ground for outdated games that were too boring to become classics, and consoles that were out of order. You'd see other people walking around, searching for ANYTHING that would be worth 25 cents and a few minutes of their time to play, and then they'd give up and go back down to the first floor. This was about the same period of time that everything else in Tomorrowland was closing -- Peoplemover, Mission to Mars, etc., so make of that what you will.

It used to be that the Starcade was better than most all of the arcades you'd find anywhere else. This was before Dave & Busters and Gameworks, but it was around that same level of quality for its time, and it was sparkling and immaculate and had great space theming, so it would be worth spending up to an hour of precious Disneyland time and several quarters for more gaming fun than you could get outside the berm. Now... really not so much.

In the back of the Penny Arcade, there was a room off to the left that had old pre-computerized mechanical games, mostly dating 1950s to early 1970s, and a few later pinball games. They didn't really fit with the Main Street theme and the turn-of-the-century games in the rest of the Penny Arcade, but were way too old for the Starcade. The Bear Country arcade had mostly Disney-themed pre-Pong machines from the 1960s to early 70s, which were undoubtedly built specially for Disneyland. I wish there were still somewhere in the park for those old machines, to show that, yes, there were arcade games made between 1900 and the first computer games. Maybe somewhere in DCA?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12