Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Like a grand & miraculous

7 turns from Disneyland!:) but about 1,150 miles on I-5. haha AKA: Puyallup, WA

Question Tomorrowland Starcade Escalator???

Hey guys,
    On my last trip to Disneyland, I was looking around the Starcade in Tomorrowland. I noticed an escalator that went up towards the patio for Space Mountain, but it didn't appear to go onto the patio.

You can see the location HERE

Does anyone know what this is for? is it from the old Space Mountain?
    Any Answers would be appreciated!

• Addicted to MC since '08

Re: Tomorrowland Starcade Escalator???

Interesting, very interesting...

I'm not really sure at the moment so I can't really help you out

Just to make sure that we are talking about the same escalator, is it the one with the spaseship over it?

• Banned User

The Starcade used to be 2 floors, now it's just the bottom.

• I'm not really here

Yeah, it used to be both. Back in the glory days of Captain EO and Space Mountain with the speed ramps.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Giving up Film

Indeed it is/was the upper floor of the Starcade. Now it sits vacant for the most part, with the exception of events (or so I've been led to believe.) When you're looking up there from the bottom of the ramp you can see several large rectangle holes in the wall where the peoplemover tracks are/were. Now it's a waste of space, unfortunately. I've been tempted to hop the barriers and just run up there to check it out, however I have been to chicken.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

A related question, as I have not noticed/looked lately..is the X-Wing still up there? Can you see it at all from down below in the Starcade?

• Addicted to MC since '08

Quote Originally Posted by darkfairycthulu View Post
    A related question, as I have not noticed/looked lately..is the X-Wing still up there? Can you see it at all from down below in the Starcade?
    The X-wing is the spaceship right? If it is then yeah, it's still there.

• I'm not really here

It's still there. You can see if the from the SM queue quite easily if you are over by the glass windows.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Banned User

When & why did they close up this section?

• Like a grand & miraculous

7 turns from Disneyland!:) but about 1,150 miles on I-5. haha AKA: Puyallup, WA

Thanks guys, I've been wondering about this for along time. now my brain can rest! Ohh... and thanks for the picture Dusty.

• Thinking about doughnuts

Does anyone know what this is for? is it from the old Space Mountain?
    I can't swear this is accurate (these are dusty old neurons I'm accessing here), but I think the escalator used to be part of the Space Mountain queue. I remember going one year in the 70s when it was raining like crazy and we were running around going on SM repeatedly by going up the escalator and then following the queue without ever going outside. You went up the escalator and then the queue went along the wall which is currently next to where the upper story of the arcade used to be.

The whole SM area was layed out a lot differently back then compared to now. And, of course, the rockets were where they belonged on top of the People Mover. And there was no Innoventions. Ah, those were the days for TomorrowLand.

Edit:
    Or now that I think about it, maybe this route was a shortcut we were using to stay out of the rain. Hmmm...
    Last edited by Macro; 12-31-2008 at 03:13 PM.

• Giving up Film

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    It's still there. You can see if the from the SM queue quite easily if you are over by the glass windows.
    Indeed you can still see the X-Wing from the SM queue. However I do believe the lowest row of glass panels are blacked out. I remember trying to see into the upper level and not being able to.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Manning View Post
    When & why did they close up this section?
    Unfortunately I can't help here, but I am curious. My guess would be that they simply didn't have enough arcade machines/revenue to warrant a second level being open? (But thinking about that I can't say that makes sense, seeing as nothing else went up there to replace it.)

Quote Originally Posted by Macro View Post

Edit:
    Or now that I think about it, maybe this route was a shortcut we were using to stay out of the rain. Hmmm...
    Quiet possibly, there are doors at the top of that ramp that (when open) that go right onto the deck/queue.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty88 View Post
    Indeed you can still see the X-Wing from the SM queue. However I do believe the lowest row of glass panels are blacked out. I remember trying to see into the upper level and not being able to.
    I think you're right. Back first week of Sept when we were there though you could see in from the queue. I remember there being several crates (kind used to carry sound boards, cameras, etc... and nice looking vintage 80s boom box, a bucket and a mop up against the far wall.

• HauntedOne999

I dont understand why they didnt just use the starcade ramp as part of SMs queue... especially since the startcade is so sparse
    Known in most other circles as "HauntedOne999"

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow!"

Disneyland CM Dec. 2005 - May 2007

• I'm not really here

Probably because an escalator/speedramp takes a lot more maintenance than a stationary concrete sidewalk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast