• Gt Big Beautiful Tomorrow

International Price Comparison for resorts

Well folks,

It's a new year. Here in the UK, the pound is worth little against the Euro (Cokes at DLP are now $6 and counter service is between $14 and $20 a person). I wondered how the different resorts stack up (just accommodation and tickets for 6 nights, 7 days). This does not include food, transport to get there or souvenirs.

This is for the week of the UK half term - Feb 14 - Feb 20th for a family of 2 adults and 2 children.

I thought you may be interested:

Disney Comparison 14-20 Feb - 6 nights
    Pound Sterling US Dollars Jap Yen
    HKDL - Hollywood 733.56 $1,078.67 97,782.83
    Santa Fe - DLP 940.00 $1,377.25 125,416.18
    HKDL - DLH 1,042.01 $1,532.84 138,954.55
    WDW - POP 1,194.00 $1,749.36 159,305.23
    DL - Paradise Pier 1,908.46 $2,795.00 254,717.74
    TDL Ambassador 2,119.44 $3,108.58 281,800.00
    DLH - DLP 2,248.00 $3,293.67 299,187.36
    TDL - Miracosta 2,376.14 $3,484.10 315,800.00
    DL - Grand Californian 2,592.63 $3,797.00 346,078.50
    WDW - Grand Fla 2,706.00 $3,967.77 361,211.75
    TDL - DLH 2,721.13 $3,991.07 361,800.00

What are your thoughts?
    Let's put the Walt back in Disney!

• A Weather Eye Open

Re: International Price Comparison for resorts

i find it VERY interesting that Tokyo is the most expensive all around, and Paris the cheapest. What is the average airfare from LA to each of the cities, I wonder (not counting anaheim)
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• Proud "Dis-nerd"

Thanks for posting this - I have often wondered what the comparison was for the different parks. The HK deal looks good!

If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/blendywee

• or CBF

All according to Priceline.com:

LAX to Charles De Gaulle, Paris: $640 roundtrip
    LAX to Narita, Tokyo: $985 r/t
    LAX to Orlando International: $306 r/t
    LAX to Hong Kong International: $785 r/t
    MHTSEIAHTECTESVEIBIECSETR

Find me on:Facebook / Twitter
    (Send me a message saying you are from MC)

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by caesarboxfan View Post
    All according to Priceline.com:

LAX to Charles De Gaulle, Paris: $640 roundtrip
    LAX to Narita, Tokyo: $985 r/t
    LAX to Orlando International: $306 r/t
    LAX to Hong Kong International: $785 r/t
    LAX to Narita (NRT) costs more because chances are, it will be only one non-stop flight without involving stop-overs or plane changes enroute. Same for LAX- Orlando (MCO). Book it thru some midwest city like ATL/MEM/SLC and see the price dramatically drop as opposed to a non-stop from LAX to FL. But I am just commenting based on my own experience.

Quote Originally Posted by twobluestripes
    i find it VERY interesting that Tokyo is the most expensive all around
    Should not be. Tokyo is one of the most expensive cities in the World to travel to, with a higher than average cost of living for locals, who are savy about finding great deals in their own turf. Yet! Davewasbaloo is takling about the hotels.. but compare the Tokyo Disney parks' admission prices to those of all the other Disney parks in Orlando, Hong Kong, CA and Paris.. and Tokyo's park prices may very well be the 3rd least expensive Disney parks in the World.. with WDW's and DLR's being 1st and 2nd most expensive, and DLP's and HK's being the 4th and 5th least expensive. Of course, this can change daily due to fluctuating monetary exchange rates in all 4 countries.**My assessment is based on the purchase of a single 4-day passports at each of the 5 disney resorts' parks, with hopper option when available/included/optional**

Now...My thoughts on the original post by davewasbaloo?
    Looking at those numbers, I can only come to the conclusion that both WDW's Grand FL and DL's Grand CA are grossly overpriced, especially when you compare it to Disney's best hotel in the World: TDS Miracosta, and especially! when you compare the Grand FL to it's more intimate and somewhat more lavishly designed little twin sis, the HKDLH.
    Even more shocking is looking at the POP Century and HKDL's Hollywood Hotel. Based on your numbers, the HKDL Hollywood is cheaper than the Pop Century, and yet, the Hollywood is 5 times more of a hotel than the Pop will ever be, and more luxurious too. Heck, throw in the Paradise Pier and the HKDL Hollywood looks like an even better deal. Then there is that view of the So. China Sea from the Hollywood... can't beat it. (But those of us who have stayed at the Hollywood Hotel have known that for a while now..) If that is not an excuse to pack your bags and pay HK and HKDL a visit, I do know what would be!!!

Now Dave.. do us a favor and compare the parks' ticket prices versus how much entertainment value you can find per each park.

• Gt Big Beautiful Tomorrow

Well my view is WDW offers the least value despite having more parks.

I suspect the ranking for me would be based on desirability and cost (including flight costs from the UK):

1. TDL/TDS
    2. DL
    3. DLP
    4. HKDL
    5. WDW

That said, because of the transport costs for a family of 4, DLP will be winning out for a while, as we can get there for about $200 compared to $1900 for DL or WDW, and $3200 for TDL and HKDL.

If I were a singleton, then all of them are a good deal and I would be heading to Asia instead of DLP or Stateside.
    Let's put the Walt back in Disney!

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Looking at those numbers, I can only come to the conclusion that both WDW's Grand FL and DL's Grand CA are grossly overpriced, especially when you compare it to Disney's best hotel in the World: TDS Miracosta, and especially! when you compare the Grand FL to it's more intimate and somewhat more lavishly designed little twin sis, the HKDLH.
    Actually the Grand CA is way overpriced when you compare it to The Island Hotel in Newport Beach. This hotel was given a 5 Diamond rating by AAA in 2008. While GC is a nice hotel it is not a 5 Diamond hotel. And since it is possible to stay at The Island Hotel for the same amount as it takes to stay at the GC it shows that the GC is in fact way overpriced.

Just to note, the Island Hotel is 20 minutes away in Newport Beach -- a close enough drive for many visitors to the area.

If you want an inexpensive hotel, they are available at the DLR. They are not Disney-owned, but several of them are actually closer to the park than the 3 DLR hotels are. Even in the summer rooms for less than $100 per night can be found quite easily.