Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

What happens to old rides and attractions?

So when Disney decides to take an attraction out, like the old Pirate Ship or Country Bears, etc...where do they go? Is there some dumpster outside in the refurb of 82 that had the Pirate ship?

Been reading a lot of posts about a potential return of the People Mover, and when on a guided tour over the summer our guide mentioned a possible return of the Country Bears to DCA...is there any previous history about doing this?

What was the backstory on the Country Bears anyway, I mean pooh might be the least ridden ride in the park, though my daughter does love it, one night we rode and rode and rode...

• Banned User

Re: What happens to old rides and attractions?

They go to Ride Heaven, or Yesterdayland.com

Kidding aside, this is an interesting question. I would love to know as well what happens to all of the stuff they take out.. Recycle it? Auction it?

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by passholder View Post
    [...]like the old Pirate Ship[...]
    According to Tony Baxter, the Chicken of the Sea Pirate Ship was moved during the 1983 refurbishment of Fantasyland but damaged beyond repair. Parts of it were salvaged and used for the deck scenes where Wendy is tied up and Peter fights Hook in the Peter Pan ride.

(Walt Disney Treasures - Disneyland - Secrets, Stories & Magic, disc 2, construction time lapse footage of Fantasyland)

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Sock Puppet

Disney has been known to eBay quite a bit of the Park's fixtures, signage, ride vehicles, etc...

John Stamos reportedly purchased the DL Marquee which was out on Harbor for many years.

I picked up some smaller, but just as valuable (to me anyway) items.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

At least a couple of the keel boats were up for auction on eBay a few years ago. Darn if I'd only had some way to get it home...

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• =)

There are isolated cases where some of it gets "reborn" in a new context, such as the animals from America Sings! being used in Splash Mountain and Star Tours, and a few parts of the aforementioned pirate ship were used in the pirate ship in Peter Pan [edit: mycroft, you beat me to it!]. And then there's stuff that gets kept by people who work for Disney. But I really do wonder where the bulk of it goes. Where, for instance, is the old captain from Pirates, the one Barbossa replaced?

• I'm not really here

WDI does have an archival library, much like WDAS has their ARL. I'm willing to be that historic pieces end up there for research and archival purposes. I have no idea how large WDI's library is, but I know that WDAS's is over 65 million pieces cataloged and a significant number uncataloged.

WDI's library is diverse enough to include pieces of hand made Foley equipment (see the Sound design extra on the WALL-E dvd for a tour of some of these artifacts from the days of Snow White and Sleeping Beauty).

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Vasooki-land Owner

They might, instead of making a whole new AA, repurpose him, as what happened to the geese that became droids.

I'm thinking maybe that pirate turned into Barboss in one way or another. Same basic shape, but obviously dratstically changed.

Ignore typos. Keyboard isnt my ususal, so keys might be left out.

Sticky keyboard.
    We are currently imagineeing a new attraction for you!

Please enjoy all the other attractions in fabulicious Vasooki-land!

• HauntedOne999

Old attractions dismantled before about 1985 mostly went into landfill... anything after that time pieces were saved for posterity. Most of the items saved in the archives are usually 1 or 2 examples of significant items from the show, however larger figures have been saved and repurposed for other attractions (i.e. the pirates that were pulling the treasure at the end of POTC before the movie rework were from Epcot's World of Motion).

The Captain Hook restaurant was originally supposed to be saved and put somewhere in the FL remodel, but as large sections were concrete it crumbled when it was moved... as for the Country bears they are still around, in what I call the animation retirment home or used as back-ups for the surviving CBs.

Originally the Country Bears were going to be a show in a ski resort Walt had planned for the Mineral King Valley in Northern California. Walt presented this idea in his last press conference in 1966. Dialogue and songs were actually recorded for this version but in 1970 the area for the resort was annexed into the Sequia National Forest. Since WDI (then WED) had worked so hard on the show... it was reworked into an attraction for WDW's MK. It did so well as a 1 theater show that when Bear Country was built at DL it was constructed with 2 theaters (this is what led to its downfall). After a few year the show started getting stale, so the Vacation Hoedown was installed. But after a few years of good crowds it got stale again, and the Christmas Special was thought up. By the early 90's the CB Playhouse was only running 1 theater and the cost of maintenance was very high. Since 1 of the theaters couldnt be closed and repurposed without having to remodel the other, it was decided to just replace the entire show. This as we all know was a bad move.
    Known in most other circles as "HauntedOne999"

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow!"

Disneyland CM Dec. 2005 - May 2007

Some items do get destroyed and thrown away, but I have seen many items at the Disney Studios in the Frank G Wells building and at the Imagineers Offices in Burbank. Some of the old ride vehicles are around the building and on the outside patio eating area.

• HauntedOne999

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    WDI does have an archival library, much like WDAS has their ARL. I'm willing to be that historic pieces end up there for research and archival purposes. I have no idea how large WDI's library is, but I know that WDAS's is over 65 million pieces cataloged and a significant number uncataloged.

WDI's library is diverse enough to include pieces of hand made Foley equipment (see the Sound design extra on the WALL-E dvd for a tour of some of these artifacts from the days of Snow White and Sleeping Beauty).
    There are several different archives for the company, each at different facilities. The main archive, where Dave Smith works, is located at the Burbank Studios in the Frank Wells Building. It's mainly for literature and comics and a few selected props. But yes alot of the archives is not catalogued... the ticket books or only organized up till the early 70's and the rest are just sitting in boxes (Dave personally showed me what was done so far, and even showed me how to date the different books). The archives has a very small staff and alot of work is done by Dave himself (which is why alot of stuff isnt catalogued) anyone in the Disney company who is willing to help, Dave appreciates. Larger pieces that are in the "Animation retirment home" Dave doesnt see much of... this is run more by the Imagineers, who dont relay alot of information to him.

If anyone is interested ive got tons of photos from the archives, when i was doing research.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by dmomof4 View Post
    ...Some of the old ride vehicles are around the building and on the outside patio eating area.
    I saw those once. If I remember correctly there's a yellow pre-2000 Autopia car and a "Toady" car from MTWW. There may be more but I don't remember them. It could be different now too since that was way back in 2001.

I know some things are still around, like Max and Melvin are still on the wall in the Pooh ride but I was thinking of some of the big items...the Rocket Ship?

• HauntedOne999

Quote Originally Posted by passholder View Post
    I know some things are still around, like Max and Melvin are still on the wall in the Pooh ride but I was thinking of some of the big items...the Rocket Ship?
    If you are talking about the Mission to the moon rocket... the archives was not established when it was removed to it was scrapped. If you talking about the Astrojets... the covering was scrapped and the vehicles were auctioned off (one can be seen in the Little Green Men shop as a display case)

• A Weather Eye Open

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    There are isolated cases where some of it gets "reborn" in a new context, such as the animals from America Sings! being used in Splash Mountain and Star Tours, and a few parts of the aforementioned pirate ship were used in the pirate ship in Peter Pan [edit: mycroft, you beat me to it!]. And then there's stuff that gets kept by people who work for Disney. But I really do wonder where the bulk of it goes. Where, for instance, is the old captain from Pirates, the one Barbossa replaced?
    I would think that the former captain's innards are now Barbossa's innards, and that his outside (outtards?) has been saved or boxed away. I mean, what if something horrible happens to the movie franchise and they need to put the original guy back? They might need him one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpoe001 View Post
    There are several different archives for the company, each at different facilities. The main archive, where Dave Smith works, is located at the Burbank Studios in the Frank Wells Building. It's mainly for literature and comics and a few selected props. But yes alot of the archives is not catalogued... the ticket books or only organized up till the early 70's and the rest are just sitting in boxes (Dave personally showed me what was done so far, and even showed me how to date the different books). The archives has a very small staff and alot of work is done by Dave himself (which is why alot of stuff isnt catalogued) anyone in the Disney company who is willing to help, Dave appreciates. Larger pieces that are in the "Animation retirment home" Dave doesnt see much of... this is run more by the Imagineers, who dont relay alot of information to him.

If anyone is interested ive got tons of photos from the archives, when i was doing research.
    Is there an archive or department related specifically to info about the Parks and resorts, or specifically to Disneyland? If so, who would be in charge and where would it be? If not, is that all under Dave's jurisdiction?
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast