Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Banned User

Shooting victim honored at Disneyland?

Found this strange article on the OC Register online on July 2.

ANAHEIM The parents of the innocent man shot and killed by an Anaheim police officer in October filed a lawsuit in federal court today against the city of Anaheim, claiming wrongful death and civil-rights violations.
    The family also issued a statement calling upon Walt Disney Co. officials to install a memorial statue on Disneyland's Main Street in Alexander's honor.
    The statue would "serve as a message of healing and reconciliation to the community and a reminder that deadly force should be eliminated from the streets of Anaheim," according to a statement released by the family's attorney, Richard Herman.
    Julian Alexander, 20, was shot and killed in his front yard by an officer in pursuit of burglary suspects Oct. 28. Later that day, Police Chief John Welter announced that Alexander was an innocent bystander.
    Disneyland is not part of the lawsuit. "Clearly this is a tragic situation, but it has nothing to do with Disneyland, said Suzi Brown, spokeswoman for Disneyland Resort.
    Attorneys for Anaheim have denied any wrongdoing by the Anaheim Police Department and the officer who has only been identified publicly as a 10-year veteran of the department who is 32 years old. The officer is on paid leave pending further investigation. Christina Talley, Anaheim's acting city attorney, declined further comment until the city gets a chance to review Tuesday's court filing.
    The lawsuit was filed this morning in United States District Court in Santa Ana on behalf of Julian Alexander's parents, Jerry Alexander and Sheryl Bell. They are no longer married.
    Their attorney, Herman, said another claim is being filed on behalf of Alexander's widow and the couple's baby girl, Maylia, who was born Dec. 5. Eventually, the two lawsuits likely will be combined, Herman said.
    The suit claims that in the early morning hours of Oct. 28, an Anaheim police officer approached Alexander without probable cause to believe he had committed or would commit a crime. Then without warning, the officer "repeatedly and unjustifiably discharged his department-issued firearm.
    "Following the shooting, the involved officers denied medical care to Mr. Alexander in a manner that demonstrated deliberate indifference to his constitutional rights," the suit goes on to says.
    Police officials have not publicly provided a detailed scenario as to what happened that night.
    The suit asks for damages, including for funeral expenses, medical expenses, legal costs and for undetermined general and punitive damages.
    In a separate letter, Alexander's parents joined with the Southern Christian Leadership Conference an organization founded during the push for black civil rights to call upon Disney's president and CEO, Robert Iger, to consider placing the statue inside Disneyland. Alexander was black.
    "We believe that Anaheim is a company town, and that Disneyland plays a serious role in the community," Herman said. "For Julian's parents, this isn't about the money, it's about honoring a man who didn't deserve to die and preventing it from ever happening again."

• Minion

Re: Shooting victim honored at Disneyland?

That is really weird!!! I wonder why the family brought up Disneyland, when Disneyland had absolutly nothing to do with the case. As much as I feel sorry for the family, I think it is innapropriate to suggest that Disney make a statue of their son and put it on Main Street!!! I just don't think that it would match or even belong in the park at all!!!

^I completely agree!

• "I Break Things"

They've been commenting on it in the Debate Lounge as well. No clue why Disneyland was even brought up since the incident didn't happen there.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• I Can Show You the World

Well it's obvious they brought DL into the fray just for publicity.

If you saw a headline that says shooting victim memorial in Anaheim compared to one that said victim memorial in Disneyland - odds are you're more likely to read the Disneyland one but unless you're living in Anaheim you'll just ignore the Anaheim one.

• Sugar & Spice

Blog Entries

Such a weird request.... I feel bad for the Family but I'm totally confused as to why Disneyland should put a statue up. He wasn't shot at Disneyland, and even if he was I doubt Disney would put up a statue.

The weird part is the quick sentence that the guy was Black. How does that matter?
    <3 There are a million cupcakes in the world but only one is Cupcake Terror. <3

I AM THE REBEL SPY.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

I specifically did NOT mention it today in my MiceAge column, they are basically trying to get more attention to the case, and using Disneyland as a ploy.

No need to give them more publicity! (IMHO)
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Minion

Besides, if there was a statue like that, wouldn't everyone who reads the plaque or is told the story, feel sad? Is that how you want to start your trip to Disneyland? I thought the idea was to get away from the real world.
    I want my cake back!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer View Post
    I specifically did NOT mention it today in my MiceAge column, they are basically trying to get more attention to the case, and using Disneyland as a ploy.

No need to give them more publicity! (IMHO)

The things that some people do is incredible!!! I just don't get it!!!

• Banned User

Sad Re: Shooting victim honored at Disneyland?

Quote Originally Posted by seenoevil View Post
    Besides, if there was a statue like that, wouldn't everyone who reads the plaque or is told the story, feel sad? Is that how you want to start your trip to Disneyland? I thought the idea was to get away from the real world.
    I would think people would get the wrong idea and think they guy got killed at the park!

• Member of Baxter's Army

My only concern about this is if the Civil Rights activists get ahold of this and accuse Disney of being racist.

Thumbs down Re: Shooting victim honored at Disneyland?

Roy doesn't even have a statue in DL. There is one of him at WDW and At TDL but not DL. So there is no way this random guy should get one there. Im sorry for the families loss but they must be idiotic

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Vault View Post
    Roy doesn't even have a statue in DL. There is one of him at WDW and At TDL but not DL. So there is no way this random guy should get one there. Im sorry for the families loss but they must be idiotic
    That is a bit harsh but I agree with you that it does not belong in DL' It's too depressing. I would tell them to ask the City of Anaheim to find a proper place.

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    My only concern about this is if the Civil Rights activists get ahold of this and accuse Disney of being racist.
    I sincerely doubt even the most rabid civil rights group would accuse Disney of racism for not honoring this request. They have no reason to erect any sort of monument to this guy, plain and simple, and they can point to any number of reasons why not, the most obvious of which is that this guy's life or death had nothing to do with Disneyland.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by haunted_hottie View Post
    The weird part is the quick sentence that the guy was Black. How does that matter?

Oh, before this is all over, it WILL matter....

I'd like to hear the FACTS about this case before I make any judgement as to the fault of the officer. There IS more to the story...

Just the FACT alone about the "victims" demanding a statue in DL gives me a LOT of reason to question the entire incident and the blame being put on the officer.

"It's not about the money".

Yeah, right...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast