• Mischievous Mouse

The next marketing campaign

Ok, I'm getting a little bit ahead of things, I realize. But with this years "What will you celebrate" marketing ploy, I don't see a BIG draw, not outside AP's and locals anyway. But it's seems to me that with Disneyland marketing probably 85% toward the kids, that, well, they're not targeting the "nostalgic crowd" enough.

So... my idea is for Disney to run vintage footage, from the 50's, 60's and 70's to entice the older folks back to the park. Maybe even showing more grandparents taking grandkids, with flashbacks to when they took their kids, and when their parents took them.

Maybe 2010 could be "The Year To Go Back In Time at Disneyland"

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

• Minion

Re: The next marketing campaign

That would make for really good commercials!!! Vintage footage of Opening Day!!! Great idea!!!

• I'm not really here

There should be no marketing campaign for the 55th except:
    "Disneyland: The Happiest Place on Earth"
    You can put a 55th anniversary tagline onto things (billboards, ads, merch, etc) but there need not be a campaign at all. It isn't one of the BIG anniversaries like the 50th was or a ten or the 75th, so it should just be what it is... The Happiest Place on Earth.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Every day you enter Disneyland is a step back in time, a step forward in time, and a step into the realms of Fantasy, Adventure and the Frontier. After all "here age relieves fond memories of the past".

It seems to me that a specific promotion for going back in time at disneyland would be out of place. Isnt that what the happiest home coming on earth was all about?
    "Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was in vain; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men for they may act upon their dreams with eyes wide open, and make it a reality"

"Keep Moving Forward"

"If you think you can't you won't, If you think you can no one can stop you"

• Troublemaker

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    That would make for really good commercials!!! Vintage footage of Opening Day!!! Great idea!!!
    Yeah, the way Disney markets things, they'll show 1955 footage of opening day and cross-dissolve to an image of Walt Disney World. And not on purpose -- but because the people who are cutting these things together don't know enough about the Disney parks to do them right.

I would rather have the park without some dumb marketing overlay. If we're gonna have banners on Main Street, can't we just have "The Happiest Place on Earth?"

Or do I have to break out the concept I had for a GOOD marketing campaign over a year ago to replace the (then only one) Year of a Million Dreams?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    There should be no marketing campaign for the 55th except:
    "Disneyland: The Happiest Place on Earth"
    You can put a 55th anniversary tagline onto things (billboards, ads, merch, etc) but there need not be a campaign at all. It isn't one of the BIG anniversaries like the 50th was or a ten or the 75th, so it should just be what it is... The Happiest Place on Earth.
    2010's marketing scheme should be no marketing scheme at all, aside from what you listed above. Honestly, spend the money on new attractions that the parks need (like Star Tours, Peoplemover, something in the Innoventions building) as opposed to trying to put a new coat of paint on something that doesn't need it.

The park speaks for itself. The only real way to increase attendance is to offer more. More attractions, more unique non-video screen experiences that can't happen anywhere else. Anyone can run a marketing campaign. Only Disney can make you feel as if you are actually in the old west or the remote jungles when the 405 is less than a mile away.

• Off to Neverland

you know...that's a really good idea

• Lego Peoplemover Priit

Cool Re: The next marketing campaign

That is a good idea, but I just took my grandma to the DLR after 20 years this September. JK. That is great.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by stitchon View Post
    The park speaks for itself. The only real way to increase attendance is to offer more. More attractions, more unique non-video screen experiences that can't happen anywhere else.
    For understanding exactly what I was thinking.

Disneyland doesn't need to be marketed. It is a "if you build it they will come" kind of place. It sells itself and does a dang find job of it. All it needs is to be kept clean, fresh and have something new for people to want to come back and see.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

I agree that they need to ditch the gimmick-y marketing and bring back their original slogan. Changing it every year or so is going to get annoying.

• Boy are we in luck!

Northern California... Not too far, but far enough! :(

I think that DL needs to start focusing less on popular movies and tv shows (exhibit A: Miley Cirus. Yuck!) and more on the magic of DL. So yes, footage of opening day would be an amazing idea, as long as right after it the commercial does NOT cut to a 'now go see BOLT!' type of thing. I understand that they need to advertise, but when it comes to DL, focus on why it's the happiest place on earth. We all love DL because it's way more than just a theme park, so they need to focus on that!
    "All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."

--Walt Disney