• Minion

California Adventure Expansion

Hey everyone,

When Phase 1 of the DCA Expansion is finished there will be a Phase 2. But does that Phase 2 only for DCA, or will it be for the entire Disneyland Resort??? I ask this because I don't think there will be that much left to do to DCA, so it would make more sense if Phase 2 included a Tomorrowland makeover, Disneyland Hotel redo, and stuff that is actually needed throughout the Resort?!?!

• We Go On.

Re: California Adventure Expansion

No. It's for DCA.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    When Phase 1 of the DCA Expansion is finished there will be a Phase 2. But does that Phase 2 only for DCA, or will it be for the entire Disneyland Resort??? I ask this because I don't think there will be that much left to do to DCA, so it would make more sense if Phase 2 included a Tomorrowland makeover, Disneyland Hotel redo, and stuff that is actually needed throughout the Resort?!?!
    Yes, phase 2 is only for DCA. And it is a whole slate of new things that aren't in DCA Phase I. Flow's Diner, for instance, was pushed off till a later phase. There will still be plenty of things to do and tweak and add after phase I is over.

Tomorrowland is on it's own phased time table. Last I had heard anything concrete there were 3 phases involved in it with Phase II beginning sometime soon. Don't quote me on that because it's all rumor until announced and I'm not totally certain of it anyway.

The Hotels will also be on their own timetable. Granted, there is certainly a resort wide masterplan, but it merely details all the various projects going on and their time tables. There is no "resort phase I" etc.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

I think DCA's taking top priority for the moment. But after that's done, I would be VERY surprised if Tomorrowland and the DL Hotel didn't get makeovers afterwards. All those years of you- know- who ignoring the DLR in favour of WDW, and now having a guy who, in addition to reminding me a lot of Walt Disney, seems to favour the west coast, is really paying off.

New park in 2016.....Coming Soon.......

Disneyland's TL not part of any phase with DCA...

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by disneysnout View Post
    New park in 2016.....Coming Soon......
    Cryptic.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Addicted to MC since '08

Mycroft16, could you remind me what Phase I for Tomorrowland was again? Was it the SM refurb or what?

Sorry, I'm probably just being stupid and drawing a blank...

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPro View Post
    Mycroft16, could you remind me what Phase I for Tomorrowland was again? Was it the SM refurb or what?

Sorry, I'm probably just being stupid and drawing a blank...
    Again, I don't have anything hard to link to on this, but from all the discussions about this over the last year... Phase I seemed to include Nemo and the Mark VII monorails.

• Senior Minion

DCA definitely still needs the money for phase 2 and a few more major additions after that too. They still need to do major work on Hollywood and CF and Grizzly area, add more of a Bay Area feel to the Wharf and hopefully complete some of the things they couldn't add now to PP, plus attractions to replace MM and Maliboomer and add more theming to Screamin' as well. Also rumors of a couple dark rides for Carsland and the fact that there's still some space near ToT and behind Screamin' that will become part of the park eventually means there's still many years of growth at DCA.

This is a good thing. DCA needs every dollar it can get and this means that Disney clearly has long term plans to put many millions into the overall DLR plans beyond the DCA money. The improvements at DL you want, the new hotels, expanded DTD and new infrastructure will all be coming too eventually, just depending on how quickly DCA becomes busier and how the economy goes. Though the DCA money is impressive, I believe that if things go well the DLR will see in the 7-8 billion range of total investment over the next decade.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Banned User

The whole point of this re-do/expansion is to fix DCA. This is solely meant for that park. If anything is done to Tomorrowland, the Disneyland Hotel, etc., it will be a completely separate project.

• Banned User

Hey everyone,

That's funny, when I read this post, the first thing that popped into my mind was an old Supertramp song. Now how did it go again? Oh yeah, I remember now. "Dreamer/you're nothing but a dreamer..."

• Yeah.....

Ok, I get the whole "phase" idea and the timeline of stuff that needs to get done, but what I don't understand is why the hell does everything need so much time?! I mean take the games of the boardwalk for instance, that entire area shut down what, two and a half months ago and all there is to show for it is a remodeled steel facade infrastructure?

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Didymus View Post
    Ok, I get the whole "phase" idea and the timeline of stuff that needs to get done, but what I don't understand is why the hell does everything need so much time?! I mean take the games of the boardwalk for instance, that entire area shut down what, two and a half months ago and all there is to show for it is a remodeled steel facade infrastructure?
    It could be done quicker, but I would say it's progressing at a normal pace. About what you'd expect for working in a somewhat difficult location like an operating park. If they were to try and get it done much faster it would just cost more money by forcing crews to work overtime and often increased costs to get materials to the site in time. It's just not worth it to rush, if anything they got a head start through the holidays and now should have this slower period to really get things moving. I think we'll see more and more activity over the coming weeks.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Didymus View Post
    With the boardwalk games they are not merely altering the facades... they are creating brand new games. This involves removing what is currently inside each building and redoing all the infrastructure to accommodate the new games.

With the facades, if they were merely slapping on a new piece of painted plywood then it would be quick, but they are doing quality work now. Remember how long it took to build the facade for TSMM? They spent months putting up the individual wood pieces. Since the games are to match the look for TSMM they will take their time to do it right.

If there was damage to the structure due to rain or anything, it will require additional work to make sure it is repaired before doing the new work.

Building from scratch can usually go faster because they don't have to alter a pre-existing structure to fit the needs of the new attraction. Much of the DCA makeover is altering pre-existing structures and will, as such, take some extra time. Plus, the work being done is quality work, not done on the cheap as quick as possible. I for one am glad they are taking their time to do it properly and look forward to being able to see it up close and personal and admire the workmanship put into it.