Thread: New Years Day

• Digging to Earth's center

New Years Day

This entire thread just deleted itself on me, so I'm pretty mad. Anyways... for those who wanted to know what DL looked like on New Year's Day, I was there. It was pretty crowded. I usually go on the off-season, so this was a 'wow' day for me.

Average Wait Times:

Autopia: 60 minutes
    Big Thunder Mountain: 50 - 60 minutes
    Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters: 55 minutes
    Finding Nemo Submarines: 60 minutes
    Indiana Jones: 60 - 80 minutes
    It's a Small World Holiday: 40 - 80 minutes
    Matterhorn Bobsleds: 70 minutes
    Pirates of the Caribbean: 100 minutes (wow...)
    Space Mountain: 60 - 80 minutes
    Splash Mountain: 75 minutes

First, I want to talk about the crazy lines I saw yesterday. As I've said, I usually avoid the big crowds during holiday season, but I felt like going yesterday, so I did, and... wow...

Indiana Jones was rarely 60 minutes, and would easily bump up to 75 or 80 minutes. It was so crowded that even Tarzan's Treehouse had a line! Pirates of the Caribbean looked as crazy as the day Jack Sparrow first invaded (those who were with me that day remember how crazy that was... we're talking 100 - 150 minute wait times). Haunted Mansion Holiday had a line wrapping around the fountain, and was about a 60 minute wait. I didn't walk over to Critter Country, but I've heard that Splash Mountain was packed with a 75 minute wait. I didn't walk over to ToonTown either... but I'm sure Roger Rabbit was packed. Big Thunder Mountain had a line going almost to Fantasyland! In Fantasyland, most of the rides were over an hour wait, with the exception of the Teacups and Carousel -- the only rides that could be doable within a half-hour range each. The Matterhorn had a line filled up, and that criss-crossed almost to the Finding Nemo line and Tomorrowland restaurants! Space Mountain had a 60 - 80 minute wait most of the time. Innoventions was packed (surprisingly) and so was Honey, I Shrunk the Audience. Autopia had a 60 minute wait, and Buzz Lightyear had a wait that went all the way to Astro Orbiter! It was my definition of huge crowds... Only because I don't come to DL when it's crowded that often. It was cool though!

What in the world was I able to do on a day as packed as New Year's Day? I was able to obtain fastpasses for the Haunted Mansion Holiday. Star Tours was a 20-minute wait (we actually waited 17!). Jungle Cruise was a 10-minute wait, so I hit that too. Then we used our fastpasses to go on Haunted Mansion Holiday, which we waited about 10 to 15 minutes for. We got lucky that we ever found anything under 30 minutes! After that, the people who are used to the lucky off-season days felt like leaving... so we left. It was cool to be at DL on New Year's Day though!
    I am a rabid Disney fan. Possible future Imagineer (already designing rides for it)... I've only been to Disneyland. I'm hoping to go to Disney World this summer for the first time, and TDR might be possible in 3 years.

First DL trip - 1997

First WDW trip - N/A

# of Times I've Been on Tower of Terror (DCA): 68

# of Times I've Been on Finding Nemo Subs:
    Argonaut - 1
    Sea Farer - 1

• Senior Monorail Minion

Re: New Years Day

I was there from 8-3 and I ditched because I found the place just too unbearable. On the other hand, I was alone so I didn't really have someone to hang out with
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!
    by intoxication, i'm pretty sure the OP meant that disneyland just gave us a free acid trip.
    -PLAUGED reffering to the Winnie the Pooh ride...

• Goofy

well i hope you had a fun day despite the crazy crowds.

Thanks for the update. We went 5 years ago on New Years Day and it wasn't that bad. But I think the beautiful weather played a part..with all the rain the past couple of weeks and the park not as busy...many were taking advantage of the gorgeous day and enjoying it at the park.

• Off to Neverland

holy cow! 100 min for pirates is INSANE!

• Wishing I was at Disney.

Quote Originally Posted by SingingAngel7242 View Post
    holy cow! 100 min for pirates is INSANE!
    My mouth dropped when I read that.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by FinalAdventure View Post
    Pirates of the Caribbean: 100 minutes (wow...)!
    We went when they re-opened Pirates with the Jack Sparrow additions and it wasn't even that bad!!! That is just unbearable!!!
    Where did the line go because of the length???

• Digging to Earth's center

Where did the line go because of the length???
    The line switched back and forth ten times before backing up nearly to Pirate's Lair rafts at one point!

Also, my sister and I were there the day Pirates opened with Jack Sparrow additions. We waited two and a half hours (that's 150 minutes), so yeah, the 100-minute length looked just as bad as the day we went to see Jack Sparrow on the ride. Back then, the line was crossing back and forth, and only a tiny gap let you pass the nightmare of crowds... To unblock traffic, they let the New Year's Day line go all the way back to Pirate's Lair rafts... I wasn't there to see if it ever reached Haunted Mansion Holiday!
    I am a rabid Disney fan. Possible future Imagineer (already designing rides for it)... I've only been to Disneyland. I'm hoping to go to Disney World this summer for the first time, and TDR might be possible in 3 years.

First DL trip - 1997

First WDW trip - N/A

# of Times I've Been on Tower of Terror (DCA): 68

# of Times I've Been on Finding Nemo Subs:
    Argonaut - 1
    Sea Farer - 1

It did seem unusually busy for a New Years Day. I couldn't believe the line for Splash Mountain, primarily because it was so cold, I'd have thought people wouldn't bother, but the Splash standby line was 60 minutes at 5pm, yesterday, and it was very chilly out.

Grizzly River Run was total walk-on, though, but that was at about 7pm......and a few degrees colder !!!!

Yes, I spent New Years Day getting all my 'wet' rides out of the way.

Fun !!!!

• Animation Domination

Yesterday I went to the park early and went on the major attrations before the crowds keep coming. I was mainly at DCA which wasn't that bad because of single rider. POTC 100 minutes wow! when I went on it at 10 a.m. it was 15 minutes. Roger Rabbit was 65 minutes wait, but with my handy fastpast it was only like a 5 minute wait.