Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• (Not a) New User

Old MSEP floats pics?

Does anyone have pics or vids from old MSEP floats like the "Return to Oz" units, the "Pinocchio Underwater" units, the "Fox in the Hound" units, the "It's a Small World" units, the "Sleeping Beauty Dragon" unit, the "Chinese Dragon" unit, and the "Disney Neon Finale" units?

My Twitter! CardfightrHuntr

• revolutionary waltz

Re: Old MSEP floats pics?

The only pictures I've seen of the Return to Oz float are here. It looks like there's also some photos of the IASW float and a Monstro I don't recognize (I'm assuming this is "Pinocchio Underwater?") here. I can't help with the others though (particularly the Chinese Dragon, never even knew that one existed). Good luck!

• Little Miss Sunshine

I will ask Jeff (from the second site mentioned with pics, JeffLangeDVD) if he has any of the others. He has been photographing at the parks for years.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

• (Not a) New User

Now I believe I remember seeing a pic of the Chinese Dragon on Yesterland. Thanks for the pics, TwilitWings. They're amazing. I imagine those trucks and Monsro are part of America on Parade but I don't know for sure.

• Little Miss Sunshine

Jeff thinks they were from the America on Parade (the photos he has up), and he has other MSEP photos too. He has photos as early as 1976 in that blog article.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

• Mouseketeer

This blog has a good pic of what I think is the chinese dragon. It's the last photo on the January 12, '08 post. Few other nice shots in there, too.

Also found this video of the original version, with the flats. No Sleeping Beauty float, though.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http:...?v=1_ex_FeBKk4

• Little Miss Sunshine

That is a really neat blog, I've never seen it before! I love all the older DL images.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

• (Not a) New User

I don't think the trucks are from America on Parade. I looked at Yesterland and this is America On Parade:

America on Parade at Yesterland

Apparrently it wasn't a nighttime parade like MSEP.

• (Not a) New User

Quote Originally Posted by Semiquaver View Post
    This blog has a good pic of what I think is the chinese dragon.

Yes. That is indeed the Chinese Dragon. What are those drums? An early version of the Honor to America unit?

• Mouseketeer

From what I can gather, America on Parade ran two times a day with an afternoon show and a later one immediately before the fireworks. I would think that they had some lighting on the floats for the later show.

Disney ran a special on the parade and here's the segment showing the whole parade, at night. The lighting is nothing like the MSEP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http:...?v=aTw0sDdLDTUMore digging found this next video, which is a slideshow from the WDW MSEP:
    Dailymotion - MAIN STREET ELECTRICAL PARADE (Walt Disney World)
    I just fast forwarded to each picture since it lingers too long on them individually, but at about 5:00, you can see the Pinocchio underwater portion with the Monstro float in the rear. I think they used some of the same photos that Jeff has to fill in the gaps but the cars and Monstro float do fit in though. There's also some shots of the neon finale in there.

This guy has some other interesting videos/slideshows.

This is supposedly a video from opening night. Some of the floats are hard to make out thanks to the video editing and low quality but is still really neat:
    Dailymotion - MAIN STREET ELECTRICAL PARADE (June 17, 1972)

Enjoy.

• (Not a) New User

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTw0sDdLDTUMore digging found this next video, which is a slideshow from the WDW MSEP:
    I just fast forwarded to each picture since it lingers too long on them individually, but at about 5:00, you can see the Pinocchio underwater portion with the Monstro float in the rear. I think they used some of the same photos that Jeff has to fill in the gaps but the cars and Monstro float do fit in though. There's also some shots of the neon finale in there.

This is supposedly a video from opening night. Some of the floats are hard to make out thanks to the video editing and low quality but is still really neat:

Enjoy.
    Wow. Cool. The video from "opening night" where the Cinderella music is playing actually shows the IASW units. Weird. And at the end of the opening night video there is a brief glimpse of the American Flag which I assume is an early incarnation of the Honor to America unit.

EDIT: Just watched the other video. I feel like making a montage of old MSEP units no longer used, and cut and paste the old sections in with the current parade and, voila, you can relive the olld pieces with the current, as if they've never been taken out!
    Last edited by DisneyKid1994; 01-05-2009 at 04:28 PM.

• Mouseketeer

After searching for pics of the Fox and the Hound unit for awhile, I've discovered that those cars are the Fox and the Hound unit. The car in the foreground is Widow Tweed's car

and the truck is Amos Slade's

Also found a video of the iasw unit:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http:...?v=3Gr-W404oO8and a video of Mickey's birthday cake:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http:...?v=Yk9AEM1t010

ETA: Forgot to mention the dragon in the second video of post #10 is probably the Sleeping Beauty unit. Here's a pic from the person who made that video and had the two car photos so you don't have to go digging:

• (Not a) New User

• Disney is home

From what I can gather, America on Parade ran two times a day with an afternoon show and a later one immediately before the fireworks. I would think that they had some lighting on the floats for the later show.

Disney ran a special on the parade and here's the segment showing the whole parade, at night. The lighting is nothing like the MSEP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTw0sDdLDTUMore digging found this next video, which is a slideshow from the WDW MSEP:

Enjoy.
    Thank you so much for sharing this video! I have never seen that parade before, except for a pictures here and there. I am amazed with the wonderful quality of parades Disney had even in the 70's. All I could think about as I was watching the video, was how much of a heart attack TDA exec's would have today thinking about the budget for that parade. I was also amazed at how many Disney Characters that they had at the end.

Again thank you for sharing this!

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by Donald1980 View Post
    Thank you so much for sharing this video! I have never seen that parade before, except for a pictures here and there. I am amazed with the wonderful quality of parades Disney had even in the 70's. All I could think about as I was watching the video, was how much of a heart attack TDA exec's would have today thinking about the budget for that parade. I was also amazed at how many Disney Characters that they had at the end.

Again thank you for sharing this!
    Next week, Jeff is planning to put up photos of the short-lived Epcot's Daredevil Circus Spectacular - from what I've heard of it, I imagine that would be out of Disney's budget now too! I never did get to see it, but a friend of mine told me about it previously - it had elephants and motorcycles.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast