Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Re: Why does Walt Disney World gets marketed more on tv then Disneyland?

OK, let's compare some major differences between the 2 properties.

WDW is bigger, more Theme Parks, Water Parks, more Hotels, and a variety of price ranges. (So usually a longer visit).

Disneyland has only 2 parks, 3 hotels, basically priced in the "Expensive" range most of the time, and that the majority of guests either stay at a Good Neighbor Hotel or is a same-day visit.

WDW wants to trap people on property, and even offers a free "Magical Express" Airport Bus to get guests to not rent a car.

Disneyland has a deal with Coach USA for an Airport Bus, but it is not free.

While both Orlando and Anaheim have many non-Disney Theme Parks and other Entertainment choices nearby, access in Anaheim is a LOT easier than in "Lake Buena Vista" (aka WDW property).

As Al Lutz mentioned today at MiceAge.com...

MiceAge.com - A different look at Disney...

We'd mentioned before that the online registration for free birthday admission was blowing past all initial projections by the hundreds of thousands. That has continued for Disneyland early in the campaign, while Walt Disney World has seen far less demand for the birthday promotion. The use of the free tickets to upgrade to Annual Passes also has TDA pleasantly surprised, yet at the same time is causing many TDA planners to worry they may soon have too much of a good thing. The problem with rising AP numbers is that they use the Resort facility in a much different way than the average tourist family from Seattle or Sydney. The average AP only visits the Resort for three or four hours, and spends far less money on food and merchandise than their tourist counterparts who typically stay in the parks seven or eight hours per day.

Basically, Disney makes a LOT more money on an average guests stay in Orlando than in Anaheim, and why Disney promotes WDW a lot more, and in the majority of the nation instead of Disneyland.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Red Face Re: Why does Walt Disney World gets marketed more on tv then Disneyland?

Its weird when I took my first trip to the word in October 05 I am a socal boy to and when people asked us where we were from we said cali and they said o wow and I quote "Don't you guys a disney world over there" Or why would you come here when you live so close to disneyland" some people! need to learn the difference disneyland two parks disney world 4 parks two water parks

• Minion

The reality Is alot of people think WDW and Disneyland are the same my friend thought so when he moved from floridia.

• Boy are we in luck!

Northern California... Not too far, but far enough! :(

Quote Originally Posted by MissPlaced View Post
    The only times I can remember seeing a Disneyland commercial was when I lived in California. Even in Colorado people seemed under the impression that Walt Disney World was the only Disney destination.

That made me sad.

That's my question... do they market DL on the east coast and WDW on the west? Just to, ya know, draw more visitors to the park that they wouldn't normally go to? I've lived in CA all my life and it always has been waaay more WDW ads. Strange.
    "All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."

--Walt Disney

• Boy are we in luck!

Northern California... Not too far, but far enough! :(

Quote Originally Posted by Dlandclub33 View Post
    BTW my cousin in kentucky sees DLAND comercails.
    Aha!! Proves my theory!
    "All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."

--Walt Disney

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I think because now who ever wins the Superbowl is always going to Disney World, not Disneyland anymore.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by princessbrittany View Post
    That's my question... do they market DL on the east coast and WDW on the west? Just to, ya know, draw more visitors to the park that they wouldn't normally go to? I've lived in CA all my life and it always has been waaay more WDW ads. Strange.
    I live in eastern Canada, and don't recall ever seeing an ad for Disneyland or DLR. However, I see WDW TV and print ads all the time. I know Florida is like a winter home for a lot of Quebecers, but it's pretty obvious that Disney has no interest in luring us out west...

• Down Pluto!

All of Disney (DIS) upper management come from WDW. It's all they know.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Senior Minion

I see DL commercials all the time, especially during holidays, as well as many generic Disney Park ads. I really don't see that many WDW specific commercials in LA. I don't know, maybe I watch different channels.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• When Will It Return?

Quote Originally Posted by Haselnuss View Post
    Its weird when I took my first trip to the word in October 05 I am a socal boy to and when people asked us where we were from we said cali and they said o wow and I quote "Don't you guys a disney world over there" Or why would you come here when you live so close to disneyland"
    They ask the question because they wouldn't dream of going all the way to Disneyland when WDW is right there. So with Disneyland being so close to us, they wonder why we make the trek out to WDW.

The easiest, and wow is it ever an easy answer to give is "Because WDW has more to see." I had stop myself from giving this answer because quantity-wise, that's true, but that's not really why I made the trek out to WDW. I was making the trek because there are different things to see in WDW that aren't in Disneyland, and vice versa. While Disneyland has stuff that WDW doesn't have, it's good to come out to WDW to see its stuff too. That's the answer we need to be giving.

When I give that answer, people immediately want to know what's at Disneyland that's not at WDW because, as stated above, many people think WDW has everything Disneyland does and more, when that's not exactly true. The general public thinks WDW has everything, and Anaheim just has a smaller portion of what WDW offers. As we know, this is not true. Each Resort has their own unique attractions and identity, despite Jay Rasulo's attempts to bring both resorts under one branding.

As far as advertising goes, WDW is the biggest money vacuum that Disney has ever invented. Therefore it gets far & away the most advertising. 3 weeks ago I booked a trip to WDW. Since then I have gotten 5, count 'em, FIVE mailers containing info on WDW from Disney Travel & Disney Destinations. They all say "Welcome back! We love you & we're so glad you're coming back *smooch* *smooch* *smooch* Don't forget you can spend money on all this stuff that's listed in this mailer." It's pretty amazing how efficient a money-sucking machine WDW actually is.

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

• Banned User

I made a special trip to DLR last May, even though WDW is much closer to where I live. I looked at lists of attractions online, and figured out that DLR offers something like 10-12 major attractions I couldn't get at WDW. Then I factored in the nostalgia value of DL, and the fact that it has some better versions of cloned attractions -- like Pirates and Tiki Room -- and it was a no-brainer. Of course, people who make lazy assumptions about WDW vs. DLR won't bother flying across country; they'll just go to WDW every time.

I plan to go to both resorts again this year, because I love the variety. Both resorts have a lot to offer. But again, most people in the eastern part of North America might never even consider DLR, unless they are going on a California vacation anyway. That's unfortunate, and definitely their loss.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    I see DL commercials all the time, especially during holidays, as well as many generic Disney Park ads. I really don't see that many WDW specific commercials in LA. I don't know, maybe I watch different channels.
    That's just our point. You live in L.A. Here in Montreal, I never see ads for DLR. I don't know if that will change once the new rides open at DCA, but somehow I doubt it. The day I see an ad for DLR in the travel section of the local paper, I might drop dead in shock.

I don't know about the commercials but it seems that whenever the Travel Channel does a special on Disney, 90% of the time it's at Walt Disney World. I understand the logic behind it but it always makes me a little sad that my favorite parks is getting ignored.
    A little bit about me...
    First Disneyland Trip: Oct. 1989
    Mandatory first ride: POTC
    Mandatory food: Clam chowder in bread bowl & a churro (not at the same time though)
    Next trip goals:
    1) Ride the Casey Jr. Circus Train. I didn't get around to it on this past trip.
    2) Get over to TSI.
    3) Try a jalapeño/cheese pretzel. Yummy!

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

I'm in SoCal and I've seen a LOT more commercials for WDW as opposed to DLR. Its maybe a 5:1 ratio. Also I've noticed that outlets like the Travel Channel and such, always focus on WDW in their tv shows. Part of that I think is that WDW has more different places to offer than Disneyland. There are more "parks" back there, where here we have only two. Like others have said, with more places to go and the ability to draw people for longer periods of time I think their marketing focus is heavy on WDW resorts.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Embrace the kitsch!

Wink Re: Why does Walt Disney World gets marketed more on tv then Disneyland?

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post
    There are more "parks" back there, where here we have only two.
    Well, 1 1/2 anyway.

Had to. It was there.
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast