Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Sock Puppet

What if Sleeping Beauty Castle was a little bit bigger?

Do you want Sleeping Castle to be a little bit bigger like over 100 feet. Because the castle is kind of small so you can't see the castle when you're at the plaza? Why did Walt Disney design the castle to be under 100 ft? Sleeping Beauty Castle looks the best but it is kind of small. If they made it bigger a bit but not like WDW's it would look cool.

• Following the Second Star

Re: What if Sleeping Beauty Castle was a little bit bigger?

Personally I like that our castle is fairly small. WDW's castle seems too big to me. SBC is small and inviting, Cinderella's screams "RAWR I AM A SCARY CASTLE I GONNA EAT YOU NOW OM NOM NOM"

Cammie Dog: 3/27/05-6/28/09 God took you way too soon Protect your dog from heat stroke. It attacks and kills quickly.

It was a money issue back in 1954.
    Walt Disney spun it to say that he wanted the park to be more "intimate," but really, there was a reason he asked for Cinderella Castle in WDW to be much taller.

• =)

I don't think I'd want something as big as Cinderella Castle, but as I've gotten older, I've started wishing Sleeping Beauty Castle was just a little bigger. It doesn't feel small when you're a little kid, but as an adult, I often can't help but notice how it really is pretty miniature. I love forced perspective, and I love charm. But I agree that Sleeping Beauty Castle could use just a slightly larger approach.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by mrfantasmic View Post
    It was a money issue back in 1954.
    Walt Disney spun it to say that he wanted the park to be more "intimate," but really, there was a reason he asked for Cinderella Castle in WDW to be much taller.
    I may be mistaken, but if I recall, Walt had very little if any to do with the design of WDW's MK park. I think his focus was on EPCOT mostly. In fact I don't think he even wanted an MK style park at WDW -- although I am even less sure about this statement.

Anyway, I think Sleeping Beauty Castle is the perfect size. No bigger and no smaller -- it's perfect.

• I'm not really here

I'm going to say that it shouldn't change. It fits the park so perfectly and you wouldn't have to go much larger before it would start to look out of place and huge. The intimate, small scales of the hub and whole park would be affected by a larger size castle and it would overwhelm the spaces.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

How tall is it, actually?

Someone said the Chernabog for the World of Color will be 100 feet. Will that be taller than Sleeping Beauty Castle?

How tall is Bucky in Fantasmic?

• I'm not really here

I believe it's 77 feet tall, or pretty dang close to that.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Sugar & Spice

Blog Entries

I love my Sleeping Beauty Castle just the way she is... Practically Perfect In Every Way.

(MAYBE) One of the reasons for the size could be the whole forced perspective thing. I would delve into the specifics, but I don't want to. Waaay too long/brain isn't functioning/insert excuse here. Besides, I'm POSITIVE there are others here who are better equipped to explain this form of Disney Magic.

There is a great book out on Disneyland Imgaineering and the use of forced perspective that you might want to check out. Be darned if I can find a link to it....

One thing is for certain... it doesn't seem as imposing as it once did when I was a child.
    <3 There are a million cupcakes in the world but only one is Cupcake Terror. <3

I AM THE REBEL SPY.

• Banned User

I don't want to be able to see a medieval castle in the middle of the old west, kthxbai.

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by disneyboi92 View Post
    Do you want Sleeping Castle to be a little bit bigger like over 100 feet.
    No.

If it ain't broke, why fix it?
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

First off, if the castle was any taller it would look weird next to the Matterhorn. Second, I noticed how visible the caslte we have is from the other lands. It would be worse if it was taller. An lastly, it's the perfect size for the fireworks show. It works perfectly for low level pyro. Wishes just looks too underwhelming next to Cinderella's castle because the fireworks look smaller. So I think Sleeping Beauty's Castle is the perfect size.

• Minion

SBC is perfect to Disneyland make it any taller and it will make the matterhorn look smaller. plus the matterhorn is smaller than WDw castle
    Last edited by Dlandclub33; 01-07-2009 at 05:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by disneyboi92 View Post
    Do you want Sleeping Castle to be a little bit bigger like over 100 feet. Because the castle is kind of small so you can't see the castle when you're at the plaza? Why did Walt Disney design the castle to be under 100 ft? Sleeping Beauty Castle looks the best but it is kind of small. If they made it bigger a bit but not like WDW's it would look cool.
    Sleeping Beauty's castle was designed to fit into an overall scene. Frame a picture from the train Station. Frame one from midway up Main St. Frame one from the Hub. You'll see the attention to detail in the placement of the trees and everything. Even the slope of the pavement was a planned thing. The castle is merely the focal point in a larger overall scene.

Cinderella's is designed to be the scene. Again frame a shot from the train Station, from Midway up Main St., and from the hub. You're far more drawn to the castle itself and the entire scene far less relevant.

Also, MK's hub is far bigger than is DL's and DL has Matterhorn Mountain sticking up. You wouldn't want to turn that into Matterhorn Mole hill with a huge castle.

• Banned User

The reason the castle is as small as it is is because Walt wanted to be cozy and inviting, not dominating. And he used the whole forced perspective thing to mke it look just a bit taller, but with that, you have the problem of putting deco on the castle. Any little thing on it and it ruins the forced perspective, which is a reason I never really liked the winter castle, it weighs the castle down enormously. I mean where do you find 15 ft long icicles?? Also walt LOVED minatures and his biggest one was the matterhorn which is exactly 1/100 in scale to the real matterhorn. And the castle also has to be to scale with the mountain or the effect will be ruined (even though it kinda is anyways with all the trees)
    Last edited by FI183; 01-07-2009 at 03:41 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast