Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs down characters are fading away...

i am involved with the company and was recently told that many character spots are going away! they will not be bringing out eeyore in critter, buzz lightyear, and other random characters seen throughout the park. its very unfortunate that this is happening.

• I'll pencil this in later

Re: characters are fading away...

The characters really make Disneyland special for me It's sad seeing them disappear.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by cb33c6 View Post
    i am involved with the company and was recently told that many character spots are going away! they will not be bringing out eeyore in critter, buzz lightyear, and other random characters seen throughout the park. its very unfortunate that this is happening.
    Welcome to Micechat. I am not sure how long you have been affiliated with the company, but I would not recommend identifying yourself because some management level types do read the boards. Aside from that what you describe is usually seasonal cuts. For example I haven't seen Baloo or Rafiki since Summer. However if they have stated otherwise (Tarzan for example) then that may be a different story entirely.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Boat shoes all day long

Quote Originally Posted by cb33c6 View Post
    But didn't you think it stole from the magic a little by having designated character spots? Form a line here, this is where bears usually hang out...

I think they should be free to roam around the respective "lands", not confined to the shackles of a small spot in critter country or main street.
    "Let's get weird" -Abraham Lincoln

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by BoygunaSurf View Post
    But didn't you think it stole from the magic a little by having designated character spots? Form a line here, this is where bears usually hang out...

I think they should be free to roam around the respective "lands", not confined to the shackles of a small spot in critter country or main street.
    Not to derail the thread but there is a really really good thread that goes into details about this. During the "off" season when the crowds are low I would be in full support of characters roaming around. However when it's crowded I prefer the designated spots for a variety of reasons... primarily because a designated spot isn't a mob of kids all clamoring to get at the character at the same time. Low crowds, no problem, large crowds, not so great IMHO.

• It's all about Theme!

For example I haven't seen Baloo or Rafiki since Summer. However if they have stated otherwise (Tarzan for example) then that may be a different story entirely.
    I saw Rafiki in Character Dining on Thanksgiving week.

So he's not completely gone!
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Jr. View Post
    I saw Rafiki in Character Dining on Thanksgiving week.

So he's not completely gone!
    I was referring to "in park"... character dining is a bit different since you pay to be in there. Granted you pay to be in the park as well, but most individuals who opt for character dining are paying for that on top of park admission.

• Disappearing/Reappearing

yeah, without the lines...I could see mass hysteria.

"my kid was first!"
    "only because he tipped"

Call the police now.

• Awaken the spirits

Quote Originally Posted by BoygunaSurf View Post

Didn't it used to be like that? I'm pretty sure I remember it being like that as a kid, and it was SO much more magical to bump into your favorite characters roaming around than to stand in line to see them. It was much more random and special that way. And you got to hang out with the characters a bit more too. My favorite character memory was meeting Buzz and Woody in Tomorrowland and hanging out with them until my dad took me away to go on the Rocket Jets. Buzz and Woody stuck around and watched me fly around in my rocket for a while. It's little things like that that make the characters special.

More recently I went as an adult and stood in line to see Cruella De Ville. There was nothing magical about it... you stood in line, asked someone else to take your picture, and then went on your merry way.

But then again, I only ever went during the off-season as a kid, so maybe they did the "character spots" during the busy season.

• Animation Domination

techskip Wrote:

Aside from that what you describe is usually seasonal cuts. For example I haven't seen Baloo or Rafiki since Summer. However if they have stated otherwise (Tarzan for example) then that may be a different story entirely.
    I saw Baloo yesterday at Adventureland next to the Jungle Cruise.

• Hello

Cool Re: characters are fading away...

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    For example I haven't seen Baloo or Rafiki since Summer.
    I saw Rafiki on Main Street when I was there Saturday the 3.

• Following the Second Star

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchy View Post
    yeah, without the lines...I could see mass hysteria.

"my kid was first!"
    "only because he tipped"

Call the police now.
    Actually the characters are fully capable of keeping things organized. The face characters are able to tell people to get in line (for example I watch Mary and Bert sometimes, and Bert will excuse himself, walk to the end of the line where a blob is forming, tell them to get in line, and go back) and the masked/fuzzy/whatever they're called characters manage to form lines too.

Don't under estimate these guys, they can control it.

Cammie Dog: 3/27/05-6/28/09 God took you way too soon Protect your dog from heat stroke. It attacks and kills quickly.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMousePal View Post
    I saw Baloo yesterday at Adventureland next to the Jungle Cruise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peoplemover Priit View Post
    I saw Rafiki on Main Street when I was there Saturday the 3.
    The kids really really want to meet both and aside from Summer we haven't seen them since.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer20k View Post
    Actually the characters are fully capable of keeping things organized. The face characters are able to tell people to get in line (for example I watch Mary and Bert sometimes, and Bert will excuse himself, walk to the end of the line where a blob is forming, tell them to get in line, and go back) and the masked/fuzzy/whatever they're called characters manage to form lines too.

Don't under estimate these guys, they can control it.
    The characters are extremely talented, I've watched them form lines on many occasions. But I've also seen how overwhelming the crowds can become. I've watched several characters get "mobbed" in peak crowds. I really feel for the furry characters, because they can't use their voice. Sometimes they try to mime but often the tourists are oblivious to the "hidden messages". Face characters can at least talk. I also remember when the characters used to roam; it was a time when the park was less crowded, and the public as a whole seemed a great deal more polite.

Sorry to stray off topic. Have they made an official announcement if this is a cutback or if this is more permanent.

• Off to Neverland

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    I really feel for the furry characters, because they can't use their voice.
    I was there a few weeks ago and Mickey and Minnie were out by the tree with very little crowds due to everyone waiting for the fireworks closer to the castle...when the announcement was called the the fireworks were most likely cancelled, I saw the human CM grab Mickey and run for it.

needless to say, I was rather amused.

• Member of Baxter's Army

I wish this was about It's A Small World. Sigh!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast