Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Senior Monorail Minion

Not sure, but we have a big mouse in town ;)

An Fastpass-less Indy... or close to it

Indiana Jones Adventure
    FastPass Modification

I've been thinking for a while now, "What if there was no FP for Indy?" My mot recent thought came after a trip on Jan. 1st where an 80 minute wait was clogging switchbacks and had to revert to the second story of JC's queue. However, at the same time, the inside of the temple ws empty. So, my thought is, why even have FP? Just take it out and use the inside queue to it's full advantage. If there are even some sticklers for FP, maybe just modifying the system would work well too.

Modifying Indy's FP

Have the stand-by queue fill in all of the temple to the rotundra. Check FP's at the front, and then direct FP's down the exit to the rotundra. At the rotundra at the current Handicap/ SR entrance, two lines would form. 1 line would be a FP line, and the other would be the Hnadicapped/ SR line. The SR and Handicapped would go through as normal, but the FP's would be mereged into the regular line. Of course, FP's would also be checked at the rotundra, and the line clearly marked with a sign. and rope queuedown the tunnel.

Problems this system would fix
    • No empty gaps in the line, using all of it's space to it's advantage.
    • No need for the extended queue out front except on busy days
    • The line would be full, so no one could jump the netting that seperates the exit and the queue before the bat tunnel.
    • Less crowding into the sidewalks of Adventureland.
    Advantages for the guests
    • Time is spent in a fully immersed queue
    • FP holders get more bang for their buck so to speak by having a shorter wait time.
    • More time to explore the writings, murals, effects, and backstory.
    Disadvantages to this system
    • Exit would be very crowded. Could be solved with tape on the ground (a la Autopia during the addition of Nemo and a la JC with the white tape going up the steps to the 2nd story.) Just run the tape down the exit to make 2 walkways, a down walkway and an exit.
    • Would require 2 CM's in the rotundra instead of 1 (the extra can come from the front ramp where one is no longer needed.)
    Needs some work but I think this could be a much better way to handling crowds. Any thoughts?
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

• Nill

Re: An Fastpass-less Indy... or close to it

I don't think the advantages weigh out the disadvantages. It's bad enough with the Handicap/SR 'line' leading down from rotunda on a busy day. Adding a fastpass line to it would make it way too crowded. People wouldn't care about the tape, trust me. Fastpass would barely get a shorter wait time, as the CMs try to keep the standby wait line no further past the spike room.

The only advantage would be having more room for standby inside the main queue. But how often is it necessary to make room for an 80 minute queue? January 1st......and when else? When lines hit to 55-60 minute mark, people drastically start turning away.

• HauntedOne999

From my experience of working Indy.... unless the park is sold out Indy doesnt need FP... if there is a good crew working you can get the line from JC queue shortened to temple entrance.

Also with single riders comming back the proposed set-up would'nt work.

but I digress... average day: with fast pass 1 hour... without fast pass 25 min
    Known in most other circles as "HauntedOne999"

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow!"

Disneyland CM Dec. 2005 - May 2007

Fast pass has been messing up queues. Instead of letting guests stand inside immersive indoor queues to get out of the heat and into the story, they keep them in an outdoor holding area until the queue empties then has them briskly power through the indoor themed areas. It makes no sense to me. Indy, Space Mountain. I was almost expecting them to change the Roger Rabbit FP system so they could stop the queue in the loading station, let the entire queue empty, then have guests speed through the half mile queue. Just to keep with tradition.

I've never been a fan of fastpass. It allows guests to be in two or more places at once, thereby making all areas of the park just a little bit busier. I think it should be reduced to an added perk you may purchase. If you are making a once in a lifetime visit, you get the fastpass to help with your day. If you are heading down for an afternoon with friends, you decide to just hit a ride or two and forgo the cost of a fastpass.

• "I Break Things"

Indy's Fastpass has gone through several "versions". The initial setup was actually similar to what you described as merge was in the Station (handicap gate), then in the Rotunda (current handicap gate). Right away there was an issue with the volume of people and this was before the safety film requirement. The Fire Marshall eventually nixed both versions because of the clogged exit.

The safety film was another "work in progress" and the two side system was developed after a lot of trial and error. It now works extremely well, and the Rotunda's queue was modified for this purpose.

For anyone who doubts what Fastpass does to a line, Disney had the outside Digs modified to hold more people because Fastpass caused the standby queue to pour into Adventureland. The next queue to be adjusted was in front of Greeter. The amazing new look was great, but the queue up to Greeter wasn't changed until after 2005. Initially we just used roll aways in a temporary layout (that wa a nightmare) but once a good solution was found it was permanently drilled in. There is still a temporary side that can be setup in addition to it.

The final addition is what you described going through, the Jungle switchbacks. Initially the only portion of Jungle that Indy used was the Press Box. For anyone not familiar the Press Box was built as an extension of Jungle's Boathouse, and was specifically used by the media for their cameras and equipment at Indy's opening. As more people showed up it was negotiated to use Jungle's "Upper 1" and then "Upper 2". This also caused tension with the Skips when we needed the boathouse space for our own queue.

Per WDI the internal queue was meant to be walked through and enjoyed. Per Fastpass it needs to remain below 15 minutes (which is approimately the entrance of the bat cave). With the addition of a new camera Temple Entrance can now merge the lines a great deal more efficently. Ironic actually... because we fought for some time for that camera and was told it would be "too expensive". We then had to cross train managers because of the upcoming Union negotiations... after training a few suddenly getting that camera became a priority with greased wheels! Anyhow... initial queue was designed to hold approx 45min, with the loss of a full Rotunda and a fluctuating Film Room I would still estimate it at around 30min... and it is used for a 15 min wait at most!

There were times when Fastpass broke down, and our wait times shrank dramatically. Fastpass came back online, and 45min later (minimum time gap for Fastpass) our wait time went right back up.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• HauntedOne999

exactly Tango! FP even makes it harder for the Handicapped at certain attrations... they should just take the idea of the dream FPs and make it a buyable ticketbook so only 1 FP per FP attraction... this would give more money to the park and help keep lines short
    Known in most other circles as "HauntedOne999"

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow!"

Disneyland CM Dec. 2005 - May 2007

• The Tomorrowland One

Quote Originally Posted by Alpoe001 View Post
    they should just take the idea of the dream FPs and make it a buyable ticketbook so only 1 FP per FP attraction... this would give more money to the park and help keep lines short
    And they will NEVER do that. Fastpass as it currently is set up is equally accessible to all guests in the park. Making it a purchasable ticket would make it only available to those who can afford to spend more. That puts too much of a divide in the guests.

I always thought walking through the empty temple portion of the queue was cooler without waiting in line. Although I've very rarely waited in the switchbacks outside the temple.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Autopia View Post
    And they will NEVER do that. Fastpass as it currently is set up is equally accessible to all guests in the park. Making it a purchasable ticket would make it only available to those who can afford to spend more. That puts too much of a divide in the guests.
    This model is currently used at other parks. It would not shock me if Disney eventually switched to this model as well. However it should also be pointed out that some of the wealthier Guests purchase a host in hopes of gaining access sooner (I said hopes... I am well aware that all parties are not given the green access card but I know many hosts who try to get their party on priority boarding regardless).

Quote Originally Posted by RocknGuitar View Post
    I always thought walking through the empty temple portion of the queue was cooler without waiting in line. Although I've very rarely waited in the switchbacks outside the temple.
    I LOVE to walk through the temple when it is empty, but I've seen countless parties simply dash down the hallway as quickly as possibly ignoring the amazing theming around them.

• Senior Monorail Minion

Not sure, but we have a big mouse in town ;)

Okay, let's say this. What about merging before the batcave?
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

• Walt Disney Fan

When we went to Disneyland last Wensday (Jan. 7) we got our fastpasses for Indy at about 5 when the line was about seventy minutes. It told us to return in about and hour and a half. So we came back around 7 and the line said 60 minutes. When we got in the Fastpass line there was only about twenty people outside the temple. So when we got into the temple the line was backed up almost outside the building. So the wait for fastpasses was the same 60 minutes. We just got out of line and went to go do Single Rider which took like 10 minutes.
    "To All Who Come To This Happy Place Welcome" - Walt Disney

• Nill

That's odd......

Thats when it really sucks o have a FP for Indy.

• Banned User

Fastpass makes everything at Indy worse. And don't get me started on the bogus Guest Assistance cards that come up the exit all the time and cut the line. Oh and also the SINGLE riders that come up the exit and heckle Cast Members in the station because they don't want to be separated. Sometimes people just expect too much from others.

• ...TWO BITS!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric5675 View Post
    [*]The line would be full, so no one could jump the netting that seperates the exit and the queue before the bat tunnel.
    I've seen guests jump the ropes before to cut in line after riding Indy to get a 2nd ride for a shorter wait. One time a CM was walking by and told them to continue exiting . But I do wonder if guests walk through the exit and then jump the rope... I'm sure it's happened before.

Quote Originally Posted by Professortango View Post
    I think it should be reduced to an added perk you may purchase. If you are making a once in a lifetime visit, you get the fastpass to help with your day. If you are heading down for an afternoon with friends, you decide to just hit a ride or two and forgo the cost of a fastpass.
    Or instead of FP being an extra perk altogether, just have it an extra-cost perk on attractions that really shouldn't have it. Like an extra cost for INDY, ROGER, SPLASH, SPACE, GRIZZLY, SCREAMIN, TOT FP. While THUNDER, BUZZ, AUTOPIA, MADNESS are still free?

Just think of it as Donald B-Day Fastpass attractions as extra-costs and Daisy B-DAY Fastpass attractions included with admission.

Then perhaps Eric's thoughts for Indy FP may work. I wondered about the same idea as well, but thinking Indy FPs run out just as bad as Space's FPs.

I would like to see how this experiment would result. Fewer FP users for extra-cost FP attractions and then perhaps making them more manageable? (sp)
    Last edited by filmfreak11; 01-11-2009 at 12:11 PM.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Eric5675 View Post
    Okay, let's say this. What about merging before the batcave?
    Still in the exit, and also in a very bad area that is still narrow (coming off a very tight choke point) and an emergency exit (technically the Jungle Doors are used for emergency vehicle access). Fire Marshall would nix it before it was even trained.

Quote Originally Posted by jackskeleton1015 View Post
    When we went to Disneyland last Wensday (Jan. 7) we got our fastpasses for Indy at about 5 when the line was about seventy minutes. It told us to return in about and hour and a half. So we came back around 7 and the line said 60 minutes. When we got in the Fastpass line there was only about twenty people outside the temple. So when we got into the temple the line was backed up almost outside the building. So the wait for fastpasses was the same 60 minutes. We just got out of line and went to go do Single Rider which took like 10 minutes.
    This is what happens when Temple Entrance isn't paying attention, or when they try and have Validator control the merge (which happens prior to Temple Entrance picking up sometimes). It also could have been either dropping to one side (not sure what time park closing is) or recovering from a downtime... in both cases it would explain the backup past the bat cave. Even then the wait is probably 30min at most.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyMickey View Post
    don't get me started on the bogus Guest Assistance cards that come up the exit all the time and cut the line. Oh and also the SINGLE riders that come up the exit and heckle Cast Members in the station because they don't want to be separated. Sometimes people just expect too much from others.
    GAC is an interesting subject because there are times when the medical issue is not visibly apparent. As to Single Rider, I am not as concerned with the "don't want to split" attitude (I always split them anyways) as I am with the individuals who simply pocket the pass and don't tell a CM... thereby cheating the entire system.
    Last edited by techskip; 01-11-2009 at 06:24 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast