Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• "I Break Things"

Was Pixie Hollow underbuilt or overbuilt?

Edit for clarification: in reference to "underbuilt" or "overbuilt" I am specifically referring to it's layout and current character roster. It is blended in extremely well. I am curious what the fans of Pixie Hollow, and the casual fans of Tink, think about the various friends that they meet.

When it comes to Pixie Hollow there is a bit of "chicken or egg first" theory going on. Obviously the meet n greet is to advertise both the movie and the Disney Fairy line. However Tink is also a very popular beloved character and people have been asking for her for years. The conclusion may be similar to Finding Nemo Subs, where Disney saw an opportunity to tie a franchise to something people already wanted.

Because I have kids, I have the Tinkerbell Movie. In my opinion it isn't bad... but that opinion is based on having watched it almost non stop for the past few weeks (it was a Christmas Present to Tinkmomma from the kids). However the movie also brought up an interesting point, and I was thinking about it today while standing in line.

A lot of kids who will be traveling to Disneyland and are fans of Tinkerbell would likely convince their parents to purchase the movie prior to their arrival. Diehard fans would even know the names of the various faries, each having their own favorite. So for them the Meet n Greet might actually be a disappointment... especially if they are a fan of Clank, Bobble, or Vidia who currently aren't even on the character meet roster. It also would have been an opportunity for an oversized AA of Cheese (an adorable mouse in the movie) to demonstrate that you have "shrunk down to size". To those fans the current offering may seem "under built".

To the casual tourist who is simply in the park and would like to meet Tink, the long line and additional faries may seem like overkill, and the impression would be that Pixie Hollow was overbuilt.

I'm curious what everyone on here thinks. I realize it was executed well, and from what I am told is above and beyond what is offered at WDW.

On a personal note it was fun to stop in and see everyone at the Meet today. I apologize I couldn't stay longer, Tinkmomma and the kids were in the Pixie Hollow queue. We had hoped to see Fawn, but she left shortly before we reached the front. Iridessa was our fairy, and I have to be honest it was the best experience we have had in the two times we have been to Pixie Hollow. She was so friendly with the kids, charming, and answered the excited questions of a 3 year old! So that explains what started the thread!
    Last edited by techskip; 01-11-2009 at 07:49 PM. Reason: clarification
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Re: Was Pixie Hollow underbuilt or overbuilt?

I can say only...having just been in the park, and I didn't see the inside at all...but from the outside, and basically doing the casual tourist..didn't wait for it, just saw the outside bit...it doesn't really register as being obnoxious or too much. If you just saw the exterior, the blades of grass and bubbling ponds, and picked up that it was a meet and greet for Tinkerbell...it looks fine. It's just there, and it's not bad...people wait in lines to meet Mickey and the gang too, and the Princesses. Personally, I have no use for it, but it doesn't stand out or get in the way really, and some people want to meet Tink and friends, so it works for me.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

I had it on my list of new things to see when I entered the park, and I ended up not even noticing it. It's kind of tucked away in a corner like Ariel was, and Matterhorn steals all of its thunder. I can't really say that I absolutely love the giant blades of grass and the plain bubbling pond, but I didn't even notice it until we were on our way out of the park.I'm just indifferent. If people like Tink, they can see Tink and even some of her friends. That's a pretty good deal to me.

• My Favorite Anna

Good question when it comes to Bobble and the others I bet some kids would like to meet as well Queen Clarion or even Fairy Mary. I'm glad to hear Fawn was there she is a treaky one to get. As you saw from my Christmas report last month it took me 3 times to get her. But to answer the other question to my best understanding. I don't think it was overbuilt. The only problem I have is when you start everything is human sides up tell you get to meet the Fairies. What they should of done was right when you start to go up that hill to meet them they should of started to make things a little bit bigger until you reach the fairies.

MY LONG TIME FRIEND THAT I HAVEN'T SEEN FOR 2 YEARS.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Hook's View Post
    Good question when it comes to Bobble and the others I bet some kids would like to meet as well Queen Clarion or even Fairy Mary.
    I think you are right about Queen Clarion, not sure about Fairy Mary...

What they should of done was right when you start to go up that hill to meet them they should of started to make things a little bit bigger until you reach the fairies.
    I had the same feeling, which is why I commented about an AA of Cheese... or for that matter the Ballerina music box from the movie.

• Circle of Ancients

Seeing that I haven't been in Pixie Hollow as I have no desire to wait an hour to see Pixie's, I'll say over. Of course, that's mainly because they took a nice public walk through area and made a meet and greet out of it.

We were going to go in it this morning at about 8:30 as the line appeared to be quite short, but that was because it wasn't open.

• no flash photography...

There really isn't much to it. I thought it would be more and left a bit disappointed.

• Sock Puppet

We enjoyed Pixie Hollow. But our wait was only about 10 minutes. We accidently walked by when they were opening. Lucky, I guess...

My teenage son liked the new Pixies. Well, their outfits anyway!

It's a nice addition to the Park.

As with most other new things, the long lines will dissipate with time.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Good question Techskip. I normally don't stand in long lines for characters, and haven't done the visits in Princess Fantasy Fair. But I did catch the Tink movie on the Disney channel, when it aired in December. And with some of the good reviews about the new area, I decided to brave the line late afternoon, one Saturday in December. Only Fawn, is that her name, the more sporty fairy, and Tink were there, when I visited. It was dusk, so I got to see all the special lighting in the area, and yes it is done very nicely.

However, I still haven't decided if this was the best area to place Tink and friends. ONLY, IF I see the King Triton and Ariel statue, and jumping fountains over by Ariel's attraction in DCA, will I be able to give my ok to Tink in the hub area.

Tink's area is beautiful after dark, now I want to see it during daylight, too. Unfortunately, and this is definitely an issue with the area, Guest ARE NOT allowed to walk through this area after Tink and friends have left for the day. And UNLIKE when Ariel was there, the old walkway from Buzz Lightyear to the Matterhorn is NOW BLOCKED by Pixie Hollow. THAT is an Issue. It used to be fun catching a glimpse of Ariel visiting with some people, while walking by. With the new pixie hollow, you just ain't gonna get that chance with Tink. And THAT was one of my concerns I previously brought up about this type of meet and greet. Most guest won't even get a chance to see it. UGGGG! What a waste.

DL doesn't want guests there, unsupervised, because they are afraid of the damage the might come to the area. DOUBLE UGGGGGGG!!!!!! They should have NEVER closed off the area so much, then!!!!! Gee, similarity to the former Disney Gallery, much? Upgrading the area, and then keeping people out, who aren't supervised. It's like kindergarten.

SO, as nice an area as it is, it WAS OVERBUILT!

Another concern I have is similar to another FORMER meet and greet area. Rememer when Tarazan moved into the Treehouse in Advetureland? They built a specific meet and greet area for Tarzan, Jane, and Terk at the base of the tree, even constructed a queue for the meet and greet. By the 2nd summer, the meet and greet area pretty much went unused.

Back to Tink's Pixie Hollow, it started off with a meet and greet for 3 fairies, during certain hours, and quickly became just 2 fairies. How soon before it's just Tink? Or even no Tink. And without Disney supervision, no one will be going through this area, unlike Ariel's.

At this point, I would have to give this little project of 2008 two different grades, a "B" for looks, but an "F" for guest use and accessbility. Again, very similar issues to the old Disney Gallery location. Really, I'm not much liking some of these recent changes.

My feeling is Pixie Hollow will soon have more in common with Sleepy Hollow. That's not a good thing, even at Halloween
    Last edited by Aladdin; 01-11-2009 at 08:39 PM.

• Awaken the spirits

I didn't even know there was a new Tinkerbell movie...

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    Back to Tink's Pixie Hollow, it started off with a meet and greet for 3 fairies, during certain hours, and quickly became just 2 fairies. How soon before it's just Tink? Or even no Tink.
    Given the extensive fan base I am fairly certain Tink will continue to use Pixie Hollow for the foreseeable future. Her friends however, may or may not have that long of a shelf life. I think this is what WDI and Entertainment had in mind, which explains why more was not done and more characters were not on the roster. If Pixie Hollow is downgraded to "simply Tink" then I think they could open up the majority of the walkways during operating hours, and only rope off Pixie Hollow itself when it is closed.With just Tink the queue would likely fit within the grass blades, possibly moving to the side and using the current GAC entrance as well if it overflows. This opens up the walkway from the entrance all the way to Buzz.

• Fastest Man Alive

Still 3 more years and 3 more movies. The fairy friends should be around for awhile.

• The Yodelin' Cowgirl

Blog Entries

I can see both sides of your point Tech.
    I watched the movie (begrudgingly at first) and ended up thinking it was cute and liking the various fairies.
    However, my fave characters were Vidia and Bobble. What can I say, I like evil characters and anyone voiced by Rob Paulsen (esp w/ a fakey Scottish accent) is made of win to me.
    I can see not having Vidia because she is "evil". I don't like that they don't have the "sparrow men" (guy fairies), but they are marketing to girls and I don't think they care about them as much.

Worse to me is that you're never assured a certain fairy except Tink. I personally don't give a care about Tink and would rather see the others. However, with the cuts you have the potential of seeing only two others (it was nice when there was the chance of 4). Then again, that's a different gripe all together

And like you said, if you're just there to see Tink it feels like overkill to have to wait forever. Then again, the same thing happens with the princesses. You have to wait 30 minutes or more even if you just want to see Ariel.

As for the actual layout of the place. It bugs me that it goes from "you're big" to "holy cow you're the size of a fairy now". I really hate the transition... but that has nothing to do with characters.

• Animation Domination

Pixie Hollow is great for a first or two tries after that it not really worth waiting an hour in line. I went to Pixie Hollow before it was open on a Sunday it was fun but for an hour and a half. No thanks not going again.

• Lost in Wonderland

Tinker Bell probably would have made it into the parks for a Meet-N-Greet sooner or later. The movie however sped that up. Tinker Bell has been featured in several parades at various resorts, so they probably had at least considered it prior to the movie.

Pixie Hollow has a wonderful queue line, with bronze statues, miniature houses, greenery, water, and a nice view. Compare that to the boring Fantasy Faire line of chains and no pretty view. As for access through the Pixie Hollow area, it is a bit of an inconvenience not having it, but I don't mind. The Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters line would sometimes effectively close off the side path anyways.

I think the scope of the project chosen was a good decision. It doesn't take up much space, and doesn't require too many cast members, so it has the ability to stay around longer. If they built a larger project, it would probably end up like Fantasy Faire with certain features closed and then get removed eventually.

It is too bad that you can't just walk by and catch a glimpse of Tinker Bell-- maybe the whole "shrinking down to Pixie size" concept conflicted with keeping the outside views open. Who knows. But that's probably the biggest flaw I have with it. So if anything, those grass blades might be "overbuilt" and the "shrinking" concept is probably not necessary to such an isolating degree. Without the grass blades, the front of Tinker Bell's home would have been able to double as a wonderful storytelling location.

Just my thoughts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast