Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 193441424344

• "I Break Things"

Re: The Return of Big Thunder Barbeque (Merged Threads)

I understand mandatory gratuity if you have a large party (most places state such if it a group of 8 or more... some even if it is 6 or more). The reason for that is because a large party is substantially more difficult to serve... usually requiring multiple servers depending on the size of the party. However mandatory 18% for 2 people... no wonder the service is horrible. The servers have no incentive to "hustle" if the tip is automatically included. If my service was that bad I would have the 18% removed... but that would be a drop in the bucket because I doubt a lot of people would challenge the tip.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• will-o-the-whip

I always wonder when the gratuity is included as a service charge whether the servers actually ever see that money. For this reason, I like to leave cash as a tip rather than included on the credit card because I'm never sure if the waiters will actually see a intangible tip that can't be put into their pocket immediately. Can any current or previous servers confirm this?

• Hall Of Promise

Quote Originally Posted by indianajack View Post
    I always wonder when the gratuity is included as a service charge whether the servers actually ever see that money. For this reason, I like to leave cash as a tip rather than included on the credit card because I'm never sure if the waiters will actually see a intangible tip that can't be put into their pocket immediately. Can any current or previous servers confirm this?
    By law, a voluntary tip (whether it be in cash or added on with credit/debit) must be given to the employee and is not taxed. I believe when it is added by credit or debit the employee must receive the tip the next pay period fallowing the time the employer receives the payment. If you add the tip to a blank line, this is a tip to the employees, not the employer.

(See: California Labor Code Section 350-356.)

Now mandatory or involuntary gratuity is a different story. This charge is considered a "service charge" no matter what is written on the check (i.e., tip, gratuity, etc.) and already has an amount added to the total on the bill. This charge must be paid if the customer is notified of such a charge before ordering, whether it be said or written somewhere. It's usually on the menu somewhere. If the customer does not pay this charge it could be looked as theft.

This service charge is not a tip to the employee(s) or crew working your table. This charge is paid to the employer and is taxed. It is the employer's choice as to what happens with the extra income from this charge. Usually they disperse it to the crew in the same ways a voluntary tip would be divided up. Other times the employer would give it out as a bonus. Nevertheless, this is an extra charge and is not a tip to the employees.

• will-o-the-whip

A very enlightening post above, thanks! That's a bummer about the service charge perhaps not even going to the servers though.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

He guys...
    Is this still open and what is the story on the setup?

I KNOW IT SUCKS and it's too pricey... but I have wanted to go ever since they first opened lol
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 193441424344