Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Who are you again?

cup of coffee and disneyland secrets anyone?

if anyone has secrets that they found on there trip to DLR please tell them here: stories,hidden mickeys,little know secrets in the park,pictures,video anything you want.

here's one:
    the old 'minetrain throgh natures wonderland' rides tracks and tunels are still found in frontierland including on rivers of america there is an old ore train thats an actual train with the marmets on the train, old tunnels scartered rock formations:somerwhere on BTM, and the lake neer fantasyland has a tunnel and the jumping fish.
    Hello? I seem to be in some sort of inter dimensional dimension with no way in or out....Send Help! and Pie! pumpkin peferably

• Closed Account

Re: cup of coffee and disneyland secrets anyone?

Here's one I've never seen before: Some of the graffiti scrawled in the soot on the ceiling of the roundhouse could make a sailor blush!

• We Want The Redhead

I know of a spot at Town Square that shows the rush folks were in when the park was originally built.
    Resting in a curb half exposed is a carpenters nail that fell into wet concrete as the curb was being set. Apparantly the workman in question was in such a rush, he couldn't get off his ladder to retrieve said nail, and there it sits forever, or at least until the curb is replaced.
    First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
    First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
    BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

• Missing Main Street

here are a few I can't take credit for, (maybe you're looking for new stuff) but I'll throw them into the thread...

1. "Basketball court inside the Matterhorn" - I guess it's really just a hoop an employee put up...

2. "Unfinished Castle" - apparantly there's a spire on the castle that isn't gilded like the others - an homage to Walt's vision that Disneyland will forever be changing and growing - never complete.

3. "Center Park Mark" - There's a golden spike driven into the ground in the center of the park. Of course, that was pre-DCA, but... ?

I love all of those little details and stories - the gold tooth on the carousel horse, the meanings behind the main street windows - fun, fun.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
    -Roald Dahl

Speaking of coffee...if you get a cup of coffe at the Swift Markethouse on Main Street and you keep your receipt..you can get free refills (in a fresh cup) all day long.

• Here Comes Trouble

I started a similar thread a few month back...

Fact or Fiction - Disneyland Urban-esque Legends

Let's not forget Timmy!
    It may have zippity to do with doo-dah

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by HelloKimmie View Post
    here are a few I can't take credit for, (maybe you're looking for new stuff) but I'll throw them into the thread...

1. "Basketball court inside the Matterhorn" - I guess it's really just a hoop an employee put up...

2. "Unfinished Castle" - apparantly there's a spire on the castle that isn't gilded like the others - an homage to Walt's vision that Disneyland will forever be changing and growing - never complete.

3. "Center Park Mark" - There's a golden spike driven into the ground in the center of the park. Of course, that was pre-DCA, but... ?

I love all of those little details and stories - the gold tooth on the carousel horse, the meanings behind the main street windows - fun, fun.
    1. Heard the basket ball court was put in because at the time only sports stadiums could be as tall as the matterhorn was.

2. That has been painted over. Walt must be forgotten unless we can make money off him.

3. Actually the golden spike in the castle was pre-Toon Town I believe. Although it might go back even to the Fantasyland refurb.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Here's one I've never seen before: Some of the graffiti scrawled in the soot on the ceiling of the roundhouse could make a sailor blush!
    I hope you had the good taste to not use my real phone number (speaking of, thanks again for calling me while you were out here on vacation).

• A Weather Eye Open

I believe that someone on micechat (was it data? steve?) has established through aerial photos that it was never even the center of the park to begin with... It's more like the metaphorical "center of the park" because the castle is our most important weenie.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• Mouseketeer

1. It's a complete half court. It was put in since there was a lot of empty space in the mountain and to provide a place for the mountain climbers to take a break in between climbs.

2. I read that that wasn't true, and it was just gilded with a slightly different color so that all the spires weren't the same. It just looks unfinished since the others are so shiny. I don't know if it is still this way.

3.Lots of talk on this website about the golden spike. It is just a survey marker and there are several others scattered throughout the park.

• Here Comes Trouble

Quote Originally Posted by twobluestripes View Post
    I believe that someone on micechat (was it data? steve?) has established through aerial photos that it was never even the center of the park to begin with... It's more like the metaphorical "center of the park" because the castle is our most important weenie.

Could be, the spike is just outside the castle archway on the Fantasyland side...
    It may have zippity to do with doo-dah

• We Want The Redhead

Quote Originally Posted by twobluestripes View Post
    I'm convinced that it is NOT anything like the center of the park, and that it never was, but I still hear CMs and tour guides constamntly asserting this as fact to guests, and claim they have been instructed to continue the fib by management.
    Not exactly a secret, but another misconception is that Club 33 is located next to the Blue Bayou. The entrance is, but the club dining room itself is over the Cafe' Orleans.
    First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
    First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
    BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

• Closed Account

Once again, the spike IS NOT and HAS NEVER BEEN the center of anything, other than the centerline of Main Street.

c. 1955. Blue line represents horizontal through "spike:"

Later. The yellow dot represents roughly the "center" after the expansion of Bear Country. With Toontown, the center would be even further north:

The persistence of this myth as truth is a true mystery of our times, right up there with socks disappearing in the dryer and Swab's penchant for chasing tequila shots with red wine.

• Missing Main Street

Thanks for the education, guys! Guess that's the end of that!
    Guess I won't be passing along those pieces of misinformation anymore...

Sad to hear about the symbolic castle-spire thing being undone, though. I liked that one.
    Hrmph.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
    -Roald Dahl

• =)

Yup, lotsa incorrect information in this thread so far, unfortunately. (Not trying to say it was intentional!) The spike thing is patently false, as Steve has illustrated, and I hear that the ungilded spire symbolism is as well. So is the thing about the Matterhorn half-court being built to satisfy Anaheim building codes.

Here's one that's not false, and that's not so often touted by Disney or the various unofficial sites, though I've mentioned it before: There is one - no more, no less - short stretch of the Pirates flume that's underground. In the strictest sense of the word, that is...much of it is below ground level, but it mostly takes place in basements that do not have ground overhead. However, if walk out of the exit of the ride and descend the outdoor ramp onto the "street" of NOS, look down. Directly below your feet is the bit of flume right after the first drop, with the boats passing from your left to your right. Nowhere else in the park affords you the opportunity to stand outside on solid ground and have Pirates of the Caribbean beneath your feet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast