• Know More Than You Should

Talking Happy Birthday Wally Boag!

A belated Happy Birthday to Wally Boag, comedian, dancer, actor and star of over 40,000 performances of the Golden Horseshoe Review.

For those of you unfamiliar with Wally Boag, a brief bio from Disney Legends:

At Disneyland's Golden Horseshoe Revue, Wally Boag blasted audiences with squirt guns, spit out a mouthful of "teeth," and sculpted whimsical animals out of colorful balloons five days a week, three times a day, for nearly 27 years. By the time he retired, in 1982, from his role as the outrageous Pecos Bill, Wally had performed in nearly 40,000 productions of the popular Revue!

Listed in the Guinness Book of World Records as the longest running stage production in show business history, Disneyland's Golden Horseshoe Revue proved to be good steady work for the former vaudeville performer, who recalled, "My longest job before the Golden Horseshoe Revue was 54 weeks. And to think it all began with a two-week contract I signed with Walt Disney when the park opened [in 1955]."

Wallace Vincent Boag let out his first "yaa-hoo!" September 9, 1920, in Portland, Oregon. At age nine, he joined a professional dance team; by 16, he was running his own dance school; and by 19, he had turned to comedy, performing in nightclubs and theaters across the country and around the world. Among them, Wally played Radio City Music Hall, moving on to such theaters as the Palladium in London and the Tivoli Theatres in Australia and New Zealand.

In 1945, he won a contract with Metro-Goldwyn Mayer (MGM), appearing in such films as "Without Love," starring Spencer Tracy and Katharine Hepburn, and "The Thrill of Romance," with Esther Williams.

In 1955, a friend told him about auditions for Disneyland's Golden Horseshoe Revue. Wally won the role and quickly became one of Walt's favorite comedic actors, appearing on such television shows as the original "Mickey Mouse Club," "Disneyland" and "Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color," as well as motion pictures, including "The Absent-Minded Professor," "Son of Flubber" and "The Love Bug."

At Disneyland, Wally also provided the voice of the Audio-Animatronics parrot, Jose, in the Enchanted Tiki Room, and later, opened the Diamond Horseshoe Revue at Walt Disney World, in 1971. His original act in the Golden Horseshoe Revue was also featured in a Danny Kaye television special celebrating the 25th anniversary of Disneyland, in 1980.

Wally often toured and consulted on special projects and promotions for The Walt Disney Company. In 1980, he entertained audiences across the country during a 28-day, 20-city tour promoting the re-release of Disney's animated classic "Lady and the Tramp." He later traveled to Japan to help translate material for the opening of Tokyo Disneyland in 1983.
    Yes yes, I know what you're saying, the article above says that Sept 9 is his birthday. Well, according to the IMDB

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0090139/

Its the 13. However, whichever may be true, today Mr. Boag is 85. Unfortunetly I am too young to have seen him perform at the Golden Horseshoe, but I've seen recordings of some of his material and he was a darned good comedian.

On a side note, I had the good fortune to be seated at Club 33 last month next to Ron Stark, who among other things helped produce the Disneyland Alumni Club's 5 Year Annual reunion. Boag performed at the show, and, despite having had brain surgery soon before, blew up a balloon for the first time in a long time.

For more info on that event you can check out David Koenig's article:

http://www.mouseplanet.com/david/dk050809.htm

Happy birthday Wally!

Re: Happy Birthday Wally Boag!

All the best to you Wally!

thanks for the wonderful memories!!

• Miranda Lambert and Me!

Listen to me on the radio!

us101country.com Fridays- 9p-12m ET and Saturdays- 7p-10p ET

981thelegend.com Monday-Friday - 12m-6a ET

rock105.net Sundays - 10p-12m ET

You can also visit my DJ blog HERE!
    Also, I have a Myspace- CLICK HERE

Happy Birthday to Wally from your home town!!

The Extinct Attractions Club has some video in the works covering Wally's work at Disneyland, including an interview and excerpts from his own home movies from the Golden Horseshoe. That's going to be some not-to-be-missed material!
    "Say, uh, ever hear of the devil's paint pots? Real mystery of the desert. Bubblin' pots of mud in all kinds of colors."

• Senior Minion

Happy Birthday WALLY BOAG!! Toa true artist!
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• So!

I just barely leared about Wally...funny guy, love the golden horse shoe. Happy B Day!