Page 11 of 135 FirstFirst ... 891011121314213661111 ... LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Episode 4 A New Hope

Cant wait to see the Ectoplasm Ball on my next DL trip (hopefully later this year). I didnt see that on my last trip (and they dont have it at WDW, correct?).

There certainly were/are a lot of hucksters in the sceance "business", and Houdini exposed lots of them in his time. Thankfully, we've got the real deal in Madame Leota...

• Yo!

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbadunne View Post
    On a different note...I just noticed that the Mansion is reopening on Feb. 14, Valentines Day.
    They pushed back the opening date?
    "Keep Moving Forward."

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    Cant wait to see the Ectoplasm Ball on my next DL trip (hopefully later this year). I didnt see that on my last trip (and they dont have it at WDW, correct?).
    WDW has it too. It's always been there. When they did the big refurb (Sept 07) they left it alone, so it doesn't have hidden Faces like DL's. Check out this video at about 4:30.

YouTube - WDW Haunted Mansion (HD)

I miss the Purple Shroud ghost that was in the Sťance circle from opening day until the first HMH in 2001. Not many seem to remember him, for some reason, so he's a genuine example of a long-forgotten HM effect.

• Banned User

You're right, HBG2, I saw them in the video. I don't remember if I really noticed them in person when I went to WDW.

My question is this: at DL, are the ectoplasm balls with the faces in them the same as the faces that appear near the entrace of the sceance room (another effect I didn't notice last time, but I first read about in The Thread).

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    My question is this: at DL, are the ectoplasm balls with the faces in them the same as the faces that appear near the entrace of the sceance room
    Yes.

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 1FoolishMortal View Post
    They pushed back the opening date?
    I asked a CM friend a while ago about the reopening date and she said it was the 14th....Do you mean pushed back for this year specifically or in comparison to years past?
    dreams. come. true.

• Yo!

^ In comparison to year's past. Normally they have it open relatively quickly since the HMH tear-down doesn't take that long. I'm wondering if they're pulling a WDW and just keeping it closed longer to save money....
    "Keep Moving Forward."

• Member of Baxter's Army

^ In comparison to year's past. Normally they have it open relatively quickly since the HMH tear-down doesn't take that long. I'm wondering if they're pulling a WDW and just keeping it closed longer to save money....
    WDW would never close a ride to save money. (That's why our HM needed a refurb in the first place.)

• Yo!

^ They wouldn't close a ride to save money, but they'd "refurb" it for a longer period than need be for the sake of cutting costs. Just look at the refurb schedule for their parks and you'll notice an unusually high number of attractions being refurbished, many with refurb lengths that seem longer than needed.
    "Keep Moving Forward."

• Member of Baxter's Army

^ They wouldn't close a ride to save money, but they'd "refurb" it for a longer period than need be for the sake of cutting costs. Just look at the refurb schedule for their parks and you'll notice an unusually high number of attractions being refurbished, many with refurb lengths that seem longer than needed.
    Not in my expereience they re-openedd Epcots Spaceship Earth before it was finished a few years ago.

They have, on occasion, "refurbed" a ride for an extended period of time to the point where it has never re-opened. See 20,000 Leagues in WDW, Rocket Rods at DL, I would count the Sleeping Beauty Castle walkthrough being that it wasn't actually being refurbished for the greater part of the amount of time that it was closed, and I think the Wonders of Life also falls into that category. Then of course there are the attractions that have been considered "Seasonal", including the Carousel of Progress, Horizons, and seasonal restaurants such as El Pirata Y El Perico. To my knowledge these situations have all been adjusted, be it by returning them to full time operation or by closing the ride totally (See Horizons).

But those are somewhat different circumstances than what you're describing.
    www.BrandonHardy-Art.com

https://www.facebook.com/Brandon.Hardy.Art

"The show's called Pirates of the Caribbean, not Boy Scouts of the Caribbean. They're my babies, you know? I hate to see them fool around with 'em."
    -X. Atencio

"Whether I like it or not doesn't matter. Each new generation has the right to come in and do what they feel is right for the show -- and that's what they did."
    ~Alice Davis

Oh no, ANOTHER pop-up ghost post? Well, yes and no. What this really is, is a post about the homogenization of ghost types over time, something that is more extreme than I thought, and which does not have an easy explanation.

Before the Constance attic debuted, there were nine stick-head pop-ups in the DL HM, three in the attic and six in the graveyard. For some reason, it only occurred to me recently that these nine ghosts at DL only came in two varieties. The one in front of the band and the one in front of the brick-arm guy have been discussed many times because they both have the familiar "leering skull," Ezra/Hatbox Ghost head, and thanks to an emphatic but highly controversial comment by Steve Fink to the effect that these are indeed the original Hatbox Ghost heads, there has been more interest in these two than in the others. What I had not really noticed fully, is that aside from these two, all of the other seven look to me like they are the same style: the "old hag," seen very clearly in this CoD portrait:

Check out the three attic heads, now extinct of course:

I don't have any evidence for how long these three were in this style. Perhaps from the beginning; I don't know. The only evidence I have is this distant shot from the Sandy Duncan special (1974), showing the third one pictured above. Make of it what you will:

The four non-HBG style heads in the graveyard:

Near the Caretaker

Near the Mummy

Near the Opera Singers

Near the TeeterTotter. This is an OLD picture—again, from the 1974 Duncan show. I don't have any good recent pictures of this guy, but from what I do have, it looks like he hasn't changed style:

If any of you shutterbugs feel ambitious, see if you can get a good shot of this particular pop-up, in front of the king and queen. He seems to elude the camera.

Anyway, there was originally a greater variety of head styles in use out there, but as you can see, they've been reduced to two. GRD has commented on this before, especially with regard to the blast-ups, which are all in the same style (we should say "were," since only one is left), but for which there were other molds, other styles, which may or may not have been used in the old days. No one seems to know.

I can't give a history of the WDW head types, except to point out that they have tended to use other styles than DL's, like the droopy-eyed ghoul and the winky-eyed ghoul.

So, why the homogenization? GRD has speculated that they were saving room in the shop by getting rid of superfluous molds, but this seems unsatisfactory to me. Are they that hard up for space? How much room does a head mold really use up? Of course, it's always safe to assume that it has something to do with money, but exactly how that would be so, I don't know.

Anyway, most of those pix are butt ugly, aren't they? So here's a prettier pic, a montage of the DL graveyard stick-heads, with apologies to Daveland for doctoring two of his photos to make this montage:

Last edited by HBG2; 01-31-2009 at 01:28 PM.

• Legends never die...

I seem to remember seeing a picture on DB.com of one of the attic pop-ups with a winky skull face. Am I confusing DL with WDW? It was dressed up in the groomsman hat and bow tie...
    My Inspirations:
    Thurl Ravenscroft and Paul Frees
    AND
    Robert and Richard Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by Outlander View Post
    I seem to remember seeing a picture on DB.com of one of the attic pop-ups with a winky skull face. Am I confusing DL with WDW? It was dressed up in the groomsman hat and bow tie...
    That's WDW. Like I said, they use that style there. They've still got some in the graveyard, and DL had at least one of that type originally.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Going through some old digital photos and I found these, from the Haunted Mansion exhibit in the Disney Gallery from maybe 2002 or 2003. Nothing earth-shaking, but they are interesting to the fan of HM-hyper minutiae/details.....

This looks like the work of Claude Coats to me, but not sure 100 percent....a assortment of ghoul/ghost faces in a slightly more creepy vein. Unsure if this was concept art for a specific effect, or just fun sketching out random ideas...

And a couple of the graveyard tombstones, in normal lighting...
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....