Page 111 of 135 FirstFirst ... 116186101108109110111112113114121 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,665 of 2011

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Episode 4 A New Hope

Cool. There's a couple other nice ones at that link, too.

But it's not pre-refurb. Definitely post-refurb.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Cool. There's a couple other nice ones at that link, too.

But it's not pre-refurb. Definitely post-refurb.
    Really? I didn't know some of the 11 returned to the Mansion, but looking at it, you are correct in that they aren't in the current changing portrait/lighting hall where the full 11 used to hang. Is there info I missed or overlooked on which ones are currently at WDW, and which are gone and not brought back?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by WDITrent View Post
    A switch to projections wouldn't be nearly as convincing as the one-way mirror with animatronics, because even though 3D provides the illusion of depth, it isn't flexible with perspective. That means anyone looking at the projections of other HHG's will see a doombuggieless HHG. To actually get the perspective you would need some sort of animated hologram- and since holograms are etched (I think) that's probably not going to happen anytime soon. Now what I think would be cool is to (doombuggies need to be added to the HHG's for this) making all one-way mirrors thermal mirrors and have them switch on and off, replacing guests with ghosts, and vice-versa.
    Yeah, the effect works great as it is; I think this would be a case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Some of the classic charm of a simple but effective illusion might also be lost. I know they have successfully upgraded other effects (the bride, Leota), but I disagree on this one. As Trent says, if you can't look at the other doombuggies and see ghosts in those too, then the effect is actually downgraded.

As for interactivity, I'm not sure what they want to add, but let's not forget that the HHGs are already interactive, in a sense. You spent the whole ride looking at creepy stuff all around you, and now one of them has climbed right into your doombuggy! What else do you need -- do the HHGs have to talk to you, too?

As a previous poster mentioned when this topic first surfaced (many, many pages ago -- sorry, that's as precise as I can get) that might detract from a certain aura of mystery surrounding the HHGs. Why do they want to follow you home? What are their evil intentions? Having them chatting with the guests like Mr. Potato Head might mar some of that.

As I alluded to before, some upgrades are good, and some are conceptually wrong headed. I'm afraid this one might be in the latter category. IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    You know, I've actually toyed with the idea of starting a Long-Forgotten blog and recycling the Best of the Threads into proper blog posts. It would make the material much more accessible and separate the chaff from the wheat. Obviously, there's more than enough material by now to make it worthwhile. One problem is the dreary hassle of getting photo permissions for all that stuff. With thread posts, it's all pretty casual, but with a blog, you have to do it right. A bigger problem is time. I'm still slaving over my dissertation and can't start any big projects at this time. Third problem is, I'm a tech retard. Still, maybe someday it'll happen. It would be a blast.
    If you have the time and will to do something like this, it would be great. It would be useful to have a seperate blog that would have the main topics reformatted. It is very possible that some of older forum picture links will be removed and destroyed from their original host sites. In worst cases they might be very difficult to relocate.

As for permissions, as far as I understand, many of the images and concepts are property of Disney so those probably do not need seperate permission. However there many private photos too.

One way to do it would just take everything, and credit all the sources. If a source wants something taken off the "index" site, it would be simple to just remove the picture in question.

On the HHG: Weren't those concept images available somewhere? I cannot seem to find them.

Quote Originally Posted by darkfairycthulu View Post
    Really? I didn't know some of the 11 returned to the Mansion, but looking at it, you are correct in that they aren't in the current changing portrait/lighting hall where the full 11 used to hang. Is there info I missed or overlooked on which ones are currently at WDW, and which are gone and not brought back?
    Yes, the Sinister 11 lost their eyes-follow-you gimmick, but otherwise they were returned intact. I think seven of them are in the loading area. I believe that the December hag and the Couple are up in the stairwell just past the loading area, and Eyeglasses lady is on the wall between the ballroom and the attic (where DL has a hall tree). Medusa is now a changing portrait, of course. GRD can correct me if any of that is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
    If you have the time and will to do something like this, it would be great. It would be useful to have a seperate blog that would have the main topics reformatted. It is very possible that some of older forum picture links will be removed and destroyed from their original host sites. In worst cases they might be very difficult to relocate.

As for permissions, as far as I understand, many of the images and concepts are property of Disney so those probably do not need seperate permission. However there many private photos too.

One way to do it would just take everything, and credit all the sources. If a source wants something taken off the "index" site, it would be simple to just remove the picture in question.

On the HHG: Weren't those concept images available somewhere? I cannot seem to find them.
    Thanks for the helpful comments. As for the HHG concept art, I'd love to see it. The only glimpse I've seen is in the background of that Kathy Rogers video clip.

• The Ghost Relations Dept.

The paintings from the Sinister 11 are in the places that HBG2 said. However, they are not the originals. They are repainted new versions.

Grab ahold of your tin-foil hats and get ready for some paranoiac theorizing, kids. It's a plot. It's a grand conspiracy. It's...

Superpost time

Sorta.

HM collectors are familiar with these four model kits, issued by a toymaker named "MPC" in 1974 and loosely based on the Mansions:

Recently, Carrie at the Haunted Mansion Collectibles blog has done a nice series on these models, including some good close-up photos.

MPC Model Kits Haunted Mansion Collectibles

What you get with these goofball model kits is a sort of drunken reeling back and forth between extreme faithfulness to HM detail on the one hand and anarchistic thematic disconnection on the other. (They've also got ZAP/ACTION, folks. Says so, right on the box.) Anyway, you've got stuff that has NOTHING to do with the HM, like Dracula-ish Transylvanian vampires and grave-robbers, but you've also got a pretty good likeness of the ballroom organ and you've got the graveyard caretaker with his shovel (apparently beating the crap out of a pop-up ghost, which will endear him to some).

It's obvious that the guy who designed this model, for example, had a photo of the HM organ at his disposal and used it well, even if the ghoul he put in there, jumping out the organ, is something he pulled out of his...other files:

Thanks to Carrie's close-up pix, it seems clear that another feature in these models that is astonishingly faithful to the actual Mansions is the design of the incidental tombstones on two of the models. This one is obviously a close copy of the "Memento Mori" variety:

There's another one on the Vampire's Midnight Madness model (with ZAP/ACTION) that is just as obviously copied from the "MEMORIE SNEVETS NOR" style.

The copy is so close that the artist even reproduced the two gashes in the top of the headstone!

Here's where you need to put on that tinfoil hat. What the artist didn't reproduce was the epitaph. Instead of "MEMORIE SNEVETS NOR," he wrote "MEMORIE LAFITTI."

Lafitti? LAFITTI?? What the firetruck???

By now we're all familiar with the Jean Lafitte mega-theme, but...the tentacles! The tentacles! How far does/did this thing reach?

This thing has got depth, that's fer sher. Not so long ago it was regarded around here as something Eddie Sotto concocted out of his imagination in the late 80's/early 90's. Then we discovered from old photos that the enigmatic and suggestive plaque on Lafitte's anchor goes back to Disneyland's opening day. Here's the latest version, freshly minted in March of this year:

Was "SNEVETS NOR" a replacement for an original "LAFITTI," and did one of the latter stones get used as a model by the MPC guy? No, that doesn't work. You can see SNEVETS NOR stones in 1969 photos.

Gotta be a sheer coincidence. And who knows why the MPC model artist changed the epitaph. Maybe Lafitti is his own name. Gotta be something like that. Right?

Mwahahahahaha...

• is too darn hot.

Who is Ron Stevens?
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post
    Who is Ron Stevens?
    Nobody seems to know.

By the way, I just noticed that the "MEMENTO MORI" model headstone also reproduces faithfully the cracks and gashes on the original HM headstone.

Last edited by HBG2; 06-14-2009 at 08:36 PM.

• Banned User

Where in DL is the Lafitte's Anchor plaque? I don't remember seeing this anchor.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    Where in DL is the Lafitte's Anchor plaque? I don't remember seeing this anchor.
    It is alongside the Rivers of America, roughly in front of the French Market, down on the lowest walkway tier. Maybe halfway between Pirates and HM, which may or may not be symbolic at all, given the various ideas on this "mega-theme" for NOS.

And great post HBG2! I have always been kind of hopingly looking for those model kits that I might purchase one, haven't come across one yet though. Great info both from the collectibles blog and your knowledge, thank you.

And now for another sidetrack....I did this piece for a contest over on deviantART, concerning if the Mansion took over all of Disneyland. Enjoy your spooky trip through liquid space on board the Haunted Submarine Voyage! All photo elements are from my own personal digital photos.

Here's a few pix to help locate the anchor:

That underwater HHG tableau needs a proper viewing portal.

• Banned User

That old dark house at the end of the dimly lit street.

Quote Originally Posted by darkfairycthulu View Post
    Haha, I love that!

• Mr. Ghost

Another note on the exterior lighting at WDW, Do they still use the lightning effect behind the mansion facade? When i first heard about it, I imagined a cable running from the top of the weather vane to the top of one of the gables, through which a charge can be passed simulating lightning strikes, but I can see the danger in have live electricity being anywhere near guests if it were not grounded properly.