Page 114 of 135 FirstFirst ... 146489104111112113114115116117124 ... LastLast
Results 1,696 to 1,710 of 2011

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Episode 4 A New Hope

Well, that's an impressive list indeed. Here are my comments, FWIW.

1) There are at least two completely different Veggie Man concepts. They should count as two.

2) I would not say that there are two April/December's. The two-panel version is only an abbreviated presentation of the four-paneled one.

3) Same thing with the Flying Dutchman. I'd say two, not three. The two-paneled one (the one actually used) is only an abbreviated presentation of the 6 paneled one, even though the ghosts are all gone by doing that. The original ship-approaching version, though, is very distinct.

3) Two Black Knights? If you mean the original and the 2005 version, I don't see enough change to justify calling those two different portraits either.

4) Ken Anderson described some portraits for his proposed Haunted House. "A maiden aunt with a austere face will coyly wink" can be recognized in the four-panel Apr/Dec, and "a gay blade will disintegrate a la Dorian Gray" is obviously Master Gracey, but there is a third one with no counterpart. I would count it, since it got to a concept stage at least in words. I've tossed together something to remember it by, using an Anderson frame:

5) I've never seen it, but it's been reported that the Sinister 11 "Ogre" was originally supposed to turn into a Cyclops.

6) GRD, I believe, reported that there was a portrait based on the Daphne myth (she turns into a tree as her lover chases her).

7) The wilting flower and the farmhouse certainly do not belong with the souvenirs, just because they made lenticulars out of them. They made lenticulars out of a lot of them. Flowers and Farm were real proposals for real changing portraits.

8) Speaking of, I think it's a real stretch to include the glow-in-the-dark souvenirs on a list like this, but that's just me.

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by Kreepy Karl View Post

Is that from the Tokyo HMHN? Iwas actually wondering recently. If when Tokyo get's the WDW updates how il they manage to pull off HMHN?
    Last edited by HMF; 06-18-2009 at 10:26 AM.

• Perhaps he knows too much

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    I've never seen it, but it's been reported that the Sinister 11 "Ogre" was originally supposed to turn into a Cyclops.
    Wouldn't that be the 'staring guy' whose eyes merge into one huge eye? That's gotta be around here somewhere.

• We Go On.

^That's the Rasputin that wasn't used, I think. Right?

Quote Originally Posted by anazgnos View Post
    Wouldn't that be the 'staring guy' whose eyes merge into one huge eye? That's gotta be around here somewhere.
    No, that's Rasputin, a very different portrait.

• Perhaps he knows too much

No, that's Rasputin, a very different portrait.
    Which "ogre" are we talking about, then? I assumed you were referring to the 'bearded man', which looks like it follows on visually from the Rasputin concept to me.

I don't know, it just seems like those two concepts must have been related, to me.
    Last edited by anazgnos; 06-18-2009 at 01:38 PM. Reason: eta: additional words

Quote Originally Posted by anazgnos View Post
    Which "ogre" are we talking about, then? I assumed you were referring to the 'bearded man', which looks like it follows on visually from the Rasputin concept to me.

Hmmm...very interesting, and good eye (yours, not his). When Walt told Marc not to use Rasputin because relatives of Rasputin might show up and raise an objection, maybe Marc neutralized the character but kept the gag, and that's the "cyclops" of the report. Could very well be, says I. The figures are very similar other than the face. If so, would you count that as one concept or two?

There are others out there. One report says the Hatchet Man was conceived as a changing portrait, but another report says probably not. And what did Eyeglasses Lady do? And how about the push-out face in the Tokyo CoD; is that a "changing portrait"?

It's not likely that a firm number will ever be possible in a tally like this one. Even if all the evidence were exhumed from the vaults and assembled in one place, no two people would agree on what to include and exclude in all cases. Someone would make a case that Panther Lady, Tiger Lady (ride), and Tiger Lady (movie) are really only one changing portrait, for example.

Here's another one that everyone has missed. In the virtual walk-through of the HM at the HM movie website, along with Medusa and Tiger Lady there's a portrait of the HM exterior that goes all wavy when you mouse over it. (There are two others as well that don't qualify as changing portraits, IMHO: a moving-eyes Ramsley portrait and a sliding panel landscape.)

• Mr. Ghost

I don't see the "Guy Fawkes" concept on the list.

And....

how do we reconcile these?

• We Go On.

^It looks like someone was confused somewhere. More to find out about the Portrait Gallery! (looks forward to HBG2's next super-post...)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Fenwright View Post
    I don't see the "Guy Fawkes" concept on the list.
    These are lists of changing portraits, not talking portraits.

• The Ghost Relations Dept.

The "Wavy" mansion portrait on the Movie website was actually just a painting of the Mansion that was in the Movies library scene. It wasn't shown much, but it was indeed in there.

• Mr. Ghost

On the subject of changing portraits, what kind of portrait would you design?
    I myself have designed a vampire changing portrait, The portrait itself was a physical painting scanned then photo edited for the "before effect". This portrait is for my own project, but you can see a Haunted Mansion influence.
    here is the "before"

And the "After"

I've done a couple of GIFs for this portait, one was a lightning transformation and the other was
    "Is that a trick of the light?" but they can't really do it justice.

Last edited by Mr.Fenwright; 06-18-2009 at 11:07 PM. Reason: re-working

• Yoiks!

And....

how do we reconcile these?

Oops! I'm pretty sure that this is a Halfbeard original. the skeleton is correct. I'm sorry for the confusion. This is what I get for indiscriminate downloading. I have so many images I don't know where they are from.

It's still pretty to look at though!

• Yoiks!

Iíve taken HBG2ís suggestions under advisement. I suppose this list should be annotated, listing the significant changes (EX: extra plates for A/D and the Ghost ship) and existing variations.

1-4) I Agree.
    5) Anagnoz explained this was Rasputin. I figured the same thing.
    6) Added. I hope it can be confirmed.
    7) Moved. I simply didnít know much about them.
    8) What? You donít think they are marvels of art worthy of hanging next to the works of that hack Davis? The real stretch would be to include the four painting from the octagonal gallery!
    Iíve kept them in the lists, but Iím not counting their number. They are for the completists and the ubergeeks.

HMF: That Oogie portrait is from DL. Iím not sure which year. Iím pretty sure it was from the first time Oogie took over the mansion. He was there in a ďWhereís WaldoĒ kind of way. Iím not sure if the portrait only lasted a year. I hope not.

Re: Tokyo face portrait. While it changes by bulging, the image does not. I consider this a separate effect. If we include this, we might also include the talking portraits (Ivan, Fawkes, NeroÖ but not the statues which cannot be considered portraits by any stretch of the imagination.) I canít help thinking that these portraits would work like that scene in The Goonies where the boy stuck his lips through a portrait and said something like ďGive me a big wet hickory kiss!Ē

As for a ďdefinitiveĒ list, Iím all for raiding the archives for every photo. I vote for HBG2 and GRD to get the honors (if they promise to post everything for us).
    Otherwise, Iím just happy everyone seemed to learn something new and a bunch of great photos were shared.

The next list should be a photographic tally of all the ghosts in and around the mansion!

The revised-revised Changing portrait List (40 for the 40th!)

Iím not counting flipped images (MG), changed technology or subtle differences. Nor am I separating doodles (Faust), B&W drawings or minor color variations (Greenish Medusa).

Used in the attraction (13)
    Medusa
    Knight *(His sword hilt changed sides in the concept art)
    April/December (2 plate morph and 4 plate morph)
    2 Ship (2 concepts (familiar, big storm/waves) 6 plate morph with ghosts
    Black cat lady
    Tiger lady
    Gracey
    Constance's 5 husbands

NBC Overlay (6)
    Jack Sally Sleigh Mansion
    Snowman 1 Snowman 2 (Oogie-ized)

From the movie (4)
    Medusa Tiger Napoleon Heaven/Hell

Concept art (17)
    Witch of Walpurgis
    Dracula
    Skeletal Bride
    Plunderer 1 Human/burning village
    Plunderer 2 (AKA ďthe Arsonist) Human/werewolf - no flames
    "Constance" (Lady with axe/husband in pillar)
    Stabbed husband
    Strangled Husband
    Faust
    Rasputin (The Hermit portrait is all that remains of this idea)
    *Jack the Ripper (Does any have images of the after in color?)
    2 Veggie People (Does any have images of the before?)
    Withering flower (also has concept art)
    *Farmland Tornado
    Blue Blood (Written concept only)
    *Daphne chased by Scooby AKA ďThe DryadĒ

Souvenirs (not counted in the total. These are for hardcore fans)
    4 black and white glow in the dark portraits (*Does any have images of the after?)
    2 color glow in the dark portraits (Does any have images of the after?)

Also not counted, but worth mentioning
    Facing coming out of the TDL portrait
    Wavy HM Portrait from the movie website

Are we still missing anything?

Mr. Fenwright, cool portrait! Please post the gif.
    Iíve always want to make my wedding portrait into a creepy lenticular. Iím pretty sure my wife would kill me though! And if I were to finish the eyeglasses lady, I would keep the eyes in the glasses and have bloody empty sockets for the lady. The cat can lick its lips. I'm completely forgetting what those eyeglasses are really called.