Page 12 of 135 FirstFirst ... 291011121314152262112 ... LastLast

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

Re: Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Episode 4 A New Hope

Darkfairy, where were those taken if I may ask?
    dreams. come. true.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by BellhopPrincess View Post
    Darkfairy, where were those taken if I may ask?
    In the first or second year of the HMH overlay, there was a exhibit in the current Dream Suite/former Disney gallery that was Haunted Mansion dedicated, with lots of original models and props and artwork from both the classic attraction, film version, and Holiday/Nightmare stuff.

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by darkfairycthulu View Post
    Going through some old digital photos and I found these, from the Haunted Mansion exhibit in the Disney Gallery from maybe 2002 or 2003. Nothing earth-shaking, but they are interesting to the fan of HM-hyper minutiae/details.....

This looks like the work of Claude Coats to me, but not sure 100 percent....a assortment of ghoul/ghost faces in a slightly more creepy vein. Unsure if this was concept art for a specific effect, or just fun sketching out random ideas...

And a couple of the graveyard tombstones, in normal lighting...
    Yeah, I wish I had seen that exhibit! This artwork, btw, is simply some Ken Anderson concept sketching.

Kali Pappas ("April/December") took a couple of very similar pix of those tombstones. You can see them at her small but lovely HM website: Our Graveyards ~ Better Haunts & Graveyards

The ride graveyard epitaphs have always intrigued me. Like the outside tombstones (still there at WDW/Tokyo, yesterlanded at DL, alas), they're full of tributes, but unlike the outside ones, the tributes are often to pretty obscure contributors to the HM. GRD and I think that some of them may be nothing more than inside nods to buddies of the sculptor, or perhaps influences upon him, or whatnot. These tributes are disguised by backwards spelling, or some other type of slight scrambling. We've discussed some of them on these Threads before, including three of the more obscure ones:

like here: Son of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 2
    and here: Son of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 2
    and here: Son of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 2
    to be read along with Son of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 2

Contrary to my impression, GRD informs me that Ken Frosee's contribution to the HM was actually quite minor; a tweak to one of Yale Gracey's effects, and that's it. But Ken's tribute stone, NEKEESORF is everywhere. Seriously. They even put one of them in the Haunted Mansion movie, for a little extra authenticity.

The heavy use of some of the tombstone styles over others means that some people have gotten their little tribute plastered all over the place, grossly out of proportion to their actual input.

There is one that I can't figure out: RESEER.

The RESEER tombstone can be seen in several places. I'm guessing it's someone named R. Reese, but I can't find a Disney employee by that name anywhere near the HM project. If anyone knows, here's the place to post it.
    Last edited by HBG2; 01-30-2009 at 06:30 PM. Reason: better pic

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

OH that's right! I remember that exhibit. It was really cool
    All I saw was a frame and Disney wallpaper and I couldn't recall if it was in Club 33 or not.
    dreams. come. true.

• Squealing Fangirl

Um... Hi. I'm not sure this is the right place to post this, but I wanted to ask the Thread people, being as generally, you know the most about the Haunted Mansion. Makes sense, I guess. Anyway, today my friend and I were discussing how epic the ride is, and she asked what I knew about a mirror in... I think it was the stretching room. I tried to recall a noteworthy mirror, and couldn't come up with anything. So she explained that her cousin told her about this mirror that "Shows what you would look like as a ghost". I had never heard of that before, but she said she looked it up online and it was true. (She couldn't remember what site it was on). I told her I'd check online myself, so... Has there ever been some kind of mirror like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Ko_ View Post
    So she explained that her cousin told her about this mirror that "Shows what you would look like as a ghost". I had never heard of that before, but she said she looked it up online and it was true. (She couldn't remember what site it was on). I told her I'd check online myself, so... Has there ever been some kind of mirror like this?
    Nope. The only "magic mirrors" are the ones at the end that show one of the hitchhiking ghosts sitting beside you.

• Squealing Fangirl

Alright thanks! Now she owes me a cookie. We bet on it. XD

• The one and only

are you sure she wasn't talking about the mirror scene in ToT? that's the closest effect i can think of.

• Cranky Dragon is Cranky

Quote Originally Posted by Jordiekins View Post
    are you sure she wasn't talking about the mirror scene in ToT? that's the closest effect i can think of.
    And even the vanishing effect, I wouldn't consider being "what you'd look like as a ghost". Though YMMV, of course.
    Current hat total: 100 of 100 - completed!

Duckland
    : Stroll through downtown Duckburg, making sure to tour Scrooge's Money Bin, then cross the Audubon Bay Bridge to St. Canard. Visit Liquidator's Splash Pool, and don't forget a stop by Bushroot Gardens!

A scrambled remembrance or garbled report about the Master Gracey portrait in the WDW foyer would be another candidate.

• Squealing Fangirl

Well, she was quite certain that it was in HM, and I don't think she's been to WDW, but for all I know, her cousin made it up, or she thought she saw it online. She gets mixed up sometimes. I'll ask her again on monday. ^_^ Thank you!

• Banned User

She said the mirror "shows what you would look like as a ghost". The closest thing to that is the hitch hiking ghosts, since you see yourself in the mirror and you see the ghost who now appears to be in your Doom Buggy, sitting right next to you. I'm sure that's what she meant.

• Squealing Fangirl

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    She said the mirror "shows what you would look like as a ghost". The closest thing to that is the hitch hiking ghosts, since you see yourself in the mirror and you see the ghost who now appears to be in your Doom Buggy, sitting right next to you. I'm sure that's what she meant.
    But she was pretty adamant that it was in the beginning. She wasn't sure if it was the stretching room or not, but she said it was around there... I dunno, I think her cousin was making it up, but she did say she found it online. Not that I'd believe everything I read online, but it seems like if it was made up, no one else would have thought of it. I dunno. Maybe she's going insane.

• The Useless Prince

Blog Entries

well...there is the bride in the mirror in Phantom Manor....

• Legends never die...

Quote Originally Posted by Hilsbro View Post
    well...there is the bride in the mirror in Phantom Manor....
    Thats what I was thinking, the mirror BEFORE the stretching room in Phantom Manor that shows the bride.
    My Inspirations:
    Thurl Ravenscroft and Paul Frees
    AND
    Robert and Richard Sherman