Page 3 of 135 FirstFirst 123456132853103 ... LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Re: Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Episode 4 A New Hope

I wish those high-top sneakers were slipons. I would buy slip ons with the wallpaper pattern in a second!

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by stitchon View Post
    No they shouldn't. It was never confirmed, Disney never said they were going to do it, and there's no proof they were ever going to.

The Hatbox Ghost is a fairly well-known Haunted Mansion legend. He's a good merchandise selling point, especially to hardcore fans. Being used on a t-shirt doesn't count as an official announcement.
    Well' they know perfectly well that the fans will not be happy if it turns out the announcement was just to sell merchandise. If that's the case they are playing with fire.

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by stitchon View Post
    Being used on a t-shirt doesn't count as an official announcement.
    Either you haven't been paying attention, or you're being facetious. It's true that there has been no official announcement, but the following hints are considerably more explicit than the character "being used on a t-shirt."

Anyone might conclude from these official releases that HBG2 will probably be announced at the event. That is a perfectly reasonable reading of this evidence.

• Fancy that...

Forgive me...since im out of the loop on this, but seriously? The Hatbox Ghost might come back? awesome!

and I totally want those shoes!

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman13 View Post
    Forgive me...since im out of the loop on this, but seriously? The Hatbox Ghost might come back? awesome!
    It's the pin merchandisers that have been dropping these hints. That blue pic above is a display of concept art for a pin, and the announcement about Constance's sixth husband is hardly subtle. They've been using the HBG as a sort of mascot for the pin event too:

If there is no HBG2, fans may justifiably accuse these guys of misleading them, even if they made no overt announcement.

• Banned User

Absolutely, if the HBG doesn't return, then it is an insulting slap in the face to us fans.

And yet, why do I feel like I won't believe it til I see it? Oh, I know. Cuz we've had plenty of slaps in the face already...

It is possible that some of you Thread-heads have been waiting for a post that would truly legitimize thread #4 here as a genuine "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect" thread. You know, a post that probes the historical and artistic roots of the HM, preferably with a little rare eye-candy.

Maybe this will do it:

Original Inspiration for the Jean Lafitte Mega-theme?

By now, most of you know that a mega-theme involving Jean Lafitte has been kicking around for a long time, an all-inclusive backstory that ties together POTC, the HM, and TSI. The chief architect for this ambitious scheme was Eddie Sotto, and the project came close to implementation in the early 90's. Sotto told me that only a "no" from Paul Pressler prevented it. For those of you who are still unfamiliar with this astounding Jean Lafitte superconcept, these posts should bring you up to speed:

Long-forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect? (scroll down to #281 and read through #307)
    Long-forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect?
    Son of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 2
    Revenge of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 3

Whether the idea was entirely Sotto's or not, the question remains: What was the ultimate inspiration for it? Until now, I was inclined to point to the "Lafitte's Landing" sign in POTC as the thing that got the imaginative wheels turning.

Nope.

As it turns out, the initial spark probably came from something that is much, much older. Until now, I have cited the plaque on the anchor in Frontierland as one of the chief pieces of evidence for the partial-implementation of Sotto's Jean Lafitte theme. More than once, I've posted these pix which were taken a few years back:

The "Battle of New Orleans" allusion neatly explained the migration of many Andrew Jackson relics from Fort Wilderness into the HM attic, since Jackson and Lafitte were both prominent participants in the B of NO, which is also mentioned in the officially-posted backstory for the HM movie.

But the plaque on the anchor is not as new as I thought. Here are a couple of pix by Mousetalgia (aka Chef Mayhem), taken in 1989:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mouseta...7606608318410/

Okay, so the plaque goes back to at least 1989. Interesting, but that's still younger than the "Lafitte's Landing" sign in POTC, and not quite old enough to conclusively pre-date any early baby-steps in this direction by Sotto & Co. Hey, the text sure sounds like it knows more than it's telling us, doesn't it?

Well, today, Davelandweb has posted some killer pix that enable us to push the plaque all the way back to 1955, quite possibly back to the opening of Disneyland!

http://davelandblog.blogspot.com/200...950s-pt-3.html

With the aid of Mousetalgia's pic, the 1950's version in Daveland's pic is easily deciphered. Here now is a 1955 pic of Frontierland. You can see the anchor and the plaque, but of course you can't read it. Daveland's pic tells us that the plaque read exactly as it does today, including the cryptic comments about Jean Lafitte. Who'd a thunk it?

At any rate, it seems almost certain to me that this plaque, with its mysterious comments about Lafitte and the Battle of New Orleans, provided the original inspirational spark for the Eddie Sotto project, which clearly did not die with the exodus of Sotto, as PLOTSI plainly attests.

By the way, Daveland also posts some brand new pix of the anchor and plaque on his blog. It's been redone once again, but the text remains the same.

Last edited by HBG2; 01-19-2009 at 10:35 PM. Reason: fix links

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Love it, love it HBG!

I've always wondered where that anchor started. Glad I don't believe everything I read. LOL!

• Legends never die...

Wow I'm new to The Thread and just focusing on this Laffitte tie-in (which was hard to do with all the back info I want to read) took forever! You've really thought this out HBG. Its awesome! All the little details that no one else notices are so cool! Thanks!
    My Inspirations:
    Thurl Ravenscroft and Paul Frees
    AND
    Robert and Richard Sherman

• Yeah.....

Why hasn't this thread (all incarnations of it) been officially recognized by Disney?

Well anyways, I was just surfing the web and listening to one of my disney fan internet radio stations on iTunes and they happened to be playing the Haunted Mansion ride-thru from the 50th CD. Well near the end of it, I heard something that left me a bit unsettled. During the Grim Grinning Ghosts segment, there's a short break in the music just after a drawn out Socialiiiiiiiize. It was filled in with a wail by the opera singer, a random howling moan, and something else that made me take a second listen on my actual copy of the soundtrack to confirm what I heard. It sounded like a voice uttering some phrase that I couldn't understand because the opera singer's voice was so overbearing, but it was definitely there. I don't know if it was just a random filler noise or if it was something more sinister but needless to say, a spookhouse that's been around for four decades managed to creep me out tonight, in my own home! Kudos Disney!

The specific spot you can hear it is 12:07-12:10. Give it a listen, if you have it of course, and help me put my fears "to rest" please!

• YOU KNOW IT! YEAH!

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Didymus View Post
    Why hasn't this thread (all incarnations of it) been officially recognized by Disney?

Well anyways, I was just surfing the web and listening to one of my disney fan internet radio stations on iTunes and they happened to be playing the Haunted Mansion ride-thru from the 50th CD. Well near the end of it, I heard something that left me a bit unsettled. During the Grim Grinning Ghosts segment, there's a short break in the music just after a drawn out Socialiiiiiiiize. It was filled in with a wail by the opera singer, a random howling moan, and something else that made me take a second listen on my actual copy of the soundtrack to confirm what I heard. It sounded like a voice uttering some phrase that I couldn't understand because the opera singer's voice was so overbearing, but it was definitely there. I don't know if it was just a random filler noise or if it was something more sinister but needless to say, a spookhouse that's been around for four decades managed to creep me out tonight, in my own home! Kudos Disney!

The specific spot you can hear it is 12:07-12:10. Give it a listen, if you have it of course, and help me put my fears "to rest" please!

Yeah, I've noticed that little bit on the ride-through soundtrack too! I cant make out a word of it! Now I'm curious!

SUPPORT THE CMs

For me, Tomorrow is everyday...wait...what?

• Legends never die...

Listening closely it sounds like the mummy muttering things in his weird accent. Not sure what he's saying, but sounds a little like his laugh, which you can hear by itself if you listen to the full ride through which separates each of the singing groups into their individual groups. (The mummy and the old man are from 17:28 to 18:26)
    My Inspirations:
    Thurl Ravenscroft and Paul Frees
    AND
    Robert and Richard Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    It's the pin merchandisers that have been dropping these hints. That blue pic above is a display of concept art for a pin, and the announcement about Constance's sixth husband is hardly subtle. They've been using the HBG as a sort of mascot for the pin event too:

If there is no HBG2, fans may justifiably accuse these guys of misleading them, even if they made no overt announcement.

You folks are aware that Merchandise and Imagineering are two separate divisions of the Company, right?

Just sayin'.

• We Go On.

^Yes, but merchandising doesn't advertise things that don't exist. It would be kind of weird... It would be like putting Sleeping Beauty Castle on advertisments if Sleeping Beauty Castle didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Jestyr View Post
    You folks are aware that Merchandise and Imagineering are two separate divisions of the Company, right?

Just sayin'.
    That's what they're always telling us. Of course, concept art for the WDW "re-haunting" somehow made it onto pins, even before it reopened: