Page 4 of 135 FirstFirst 1234567142954104 ... LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Re: Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Episode 4 A New Hope

Great Lafitte/anchor post HBG2, and great photo finds....I am very curious to see if this develops further, or if the return of Hatbox ties into this at all or brings new elements besides the figure's return to his rightful place....
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    That's what they're always telling us. Of course, concept art for the WDW "re-haunting" somehow made it onto pins, even before it reopened:

Revenge of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 3
    Indeed! The pins with the enhancements (which I have 2 of.) came out a few weeks before the WDW Mansion re-opened.

• Inhospitable about happy

And consider this dismaying observation. For the Disneyland 50th, this handsome lamp was available as part of the HM merch:

They didn't commemorate any of the other three stretching portraits, just this one. Of course, when the new attic premiered at DL in May of that year, we learned that the widow character in this portrait is none other than Constance, the new attic bride. One stretching portraitóand none of the othersówas re-imagined and thrust into new prominence. Yeah, this could have been a sheer coincidence, but the odds are exactly 3 to 1 that it was not.

Moral of the story: Imagineering and Merchandising may be separate entities, but that doesn't mean they don't ever communicate with each other.

• =)

If the HBG doesn't start losing his head for the guests again this year, there are some folks at Disney who'll be parted from theirs instead...

• Banned User

What I find a little strange is that no one on MiceChat seems to have gotten confirmation from any of their sources that the HBG is indeed returning. Is it that hush hush? With all the broad hints they have dropped, you would think it wouldn't be. I suppose they want to maintain the surprise for Joe Public, even if the MiceChat fanatics have figured it out.

In any case, Data is right. At this point, it's HBG or else!

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    And consider this dismaying observation. For the Disneyland 50th, this handsome lamp was available as part of the HM merch:

They didn't commemorate any of the other three stretching portraits, just this one. Of course, when the new attic premiered at DL in May of that year, we learned that the widow character in this portrait is none other than Constance, the new attic bride. One stretching portrait—and none of the others—was re-imagined and thrust into new prominence. Yeah, this could have been a sheer coincidence, but the odds are exactly 3 to 1 that it was not.

Moral of the story: Imagineering and Merchandising may be separate entities, but that doesn't mean they don't ever communicate with each other.
    The anniversary event on 09-09-09 is a Merchandise event. Imagineering is not involved. Images of most of the product being released for the event have been posted and except for the copy on the press release, there has been no mention of a Hat Box Ghost or of any update to the attraction nor does the specific character appear on any of the event merchandise.

l'm going to write this just once because I realize you've been convinced beyond any reasonable sense and I don't want to argue back and forth, but it pains me to see such fervor result in such disappointment for so many:

There are currently no plans to install an animatronic character based on the original Hat Box Ghost character in The Haunted Mansion.

Please note: The above is not based on opinion or supposition.
    Last edited by Jestyr; 01-21-2009 at 01:30 PM.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by Jestyr View Post
    l'm going to write this just once because I realize you've been convinced beyond any reasonable sense and I don't want to argue back and forth, but it pains me to see such fervor result in such dissappointment for so many:

There are currently no plans to install an animatronic character based on the original Hat Box Ghost character in The Haunted Mansion.
    It's nice of you to give your opinion. HBG2 has been giving hints from Disney that he may be coming back. Until there is an official announcement nothing is in stone but I do enjoy the notion of him coming back. I'm pleased to say I hope you are 100% incorrect.

• Legends never die...

l'm going to write this just once because I realize you've been convinced beyond any reasonable sense and I don't want to argue back and forth, but it pains me to see such fervor result in such disappointment for so many:

I'm not trying to call you out or anything, Jestyr, I just honestly want to know. What makes you so absolutely positive that he is not coming back? I'm not saying he is for sure, because I do not want to get my hopes too high, but how are you 100% sure he isn't?
    My Inspirations:
    Thurl Ravenscroft and Paul Frees
    AND
    Robert and Richard Sherman

• Banned User

The anniversary event on 09-09-09 is a Merchandise event. Imagineering is not involved. Images of most of the product being released for the event have been posted and except for the copy on the press release, there has been no mention of a Hat Box Ghost or of any update to the attraction nor does the specific character appear on any of the event merchandise.

Why am I not surprised???

Of course they're going to let us down (again)

• Inhospitable about happy

It is true that nothing is set in stone until an official announcement is made. In the past, projects that have been green-lighted and are practically ready to install have been canceled at the last minute. I have heard of an ambitious revamp of a certain room in the DL HM that was just days away from implementation at one point, but got the axe.

Suffice it to say that I've heard third-hand reports that I regard as reliable that go both directions with this one. (Jestyr's comment is, in fact, the second negative report I've heard, although, for all I know, both reports could go back to the same source.) I'd say that if it turns out that there is no HBG2, it's because the project was canceled or postponed, not because no such project existed.

As WDITrent points out, it is hard to believe that Merchandising would take it upon themselves to seriously modify the Constance backstory (adding a new husband) without any input from WDI. Also, the idea that Constance takes one more husband neatly matches what Julia Lee has had on her official website for a couple of years now:

This militates strongly against the notion that "Connie's last groom" is just a wacky gimmick Merchandising came up with.

That paragraph is still up. I think they're pretty stupid if they've canceled the project while still allowing such misleading clues to be publicized.

• Banned User

That paragraph is still up. I think they're pretty stupid if they've canceled the project while still allowing such misleading clues to be publicized.
    They're pretty stupid.

It's the eternal, almighty goddam budget again. Always the goddam budget cuts, and to hell with the fans.

A "new hope", indeed!

• Fastest Man Alive

Quote Originally Posted by Outlander View Post
    I'm not trying to call you out or anything, Jestyr, I just honestly want to know. What makes you so absolutely positive that he is not coming back? I'm not saying he is for sure, because I do not want to get my hopes too high, but how are you 100% sure he isn't?
    If I helps, I can confirm this too. With a rewording. I'm not saying the HBG won't be coming back. But, currently there is no plan to bring it back. Tony Baxter obviously likes the HBG and I'm sure it's just a matter of funding. But presently, there is no plan to bring it back.
    Now, if Merchandise could fit the bill, I'd dare say the HBG is a shoe in (other departments have done such. Marketing did the Sleeping Beauty Walkthrough, and Entertainment did Pixie Hollow). But again, currently there is no plan to return the HBG to the Mansion. I apologize, but also must keep mum on sources. So I can guarantee that it won't be there when the Mansion reopens.
    As for the merch event? There is still time for plans to change if enough suits see how big of a thing this is turning into.

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    They're pretty stupid.

It's the eternal, almighty goddam budget again. Always the goddam budget cuts, and to hell with the fans.

A "new hope", indeed!
    Relax!! We don't know anything yet. I think the uproar if he does not come bac will be worse than It's a Small World.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

I'm of the wait and see mindset......but if he doesn't come back, the general public won't notice a thing of course, regardless of how I and I am sure many others will feel here (horribly let down). That being said.....plastering his image all over the place, which fans would be sure to notice, and talking about a sixth husband randomly when there were no plans to bring him back isn't a very smart move regarding people who know the character and his history...
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• Collision speed....FULL!

Hey, if you're disappointed that the HBG doesn't show, don't get mad at Disney, you brought your hopes up yourself! Disney didn't say a thing about it, even Al hasn't said a thing; don't get your hopes up based on some merchandise.