Page 54 of 135 FirstFirst ... 42944515253545556576479104 ... LastLast

• Minion

Re: Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Episode 4 A New Hope

Wow. For a calamity so vane, you would think someone would have caught wind. And I think when I say this, we're all in the same boat.

• Inhospitable about happy

That's how it goes. Sail la vie.

• =)

You guys are terrible.

Couldn't resist playing around with Michigan Guy's re-creation. I'm thinking a little darker...and what's white in the photo wouldn't be white under blacklight.

Why did they toss out the blackcat weather vane?ITs there in the ken anderson original and on the sam mckim haunted house and in surrell book its in a sketch by Marvin davis [not Marc] in 1961.

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    ... (And, in the words of Doc Brown, please excuse the crudity of this model. It still lacks textures, important elements, etc.)
    GREAT SCOTT!
    1.21 JIGAWATTS?!
    You're not thinking fourth-dimensionally!
    Where we're going, we don't need roads.
    This'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards.
    I'm sure that in 1985 plutonium is available in every corner drug store, but in 1955 it's a little hard to come by.
    Look! If your horse threw a shoe, bring him back an' I'll re-shoe him!

Ok, I'm done.

----

GREAT Hm experience today, other than all of the Magic Music Days kids being annoying (multiple said expletives) kids. I FINALLY got my brother and sister to go on the ride, and my sister--who is older--was the nervous one. She asked a Butler for his opinion on how scary the ride was, and he said the worst part was the pop up ghosts zombies in the graveyard as they were unexpected. He recommended to picture them with Santa hats so they would look like the ones in HMH (I lol'd). As we walked away, he asked me semiprivately for her name and spelling of it, which I gave, assuming she would receive an honorary citizen badge or celebrating button or something. When we got off the ride (which was made difficult by all of the kids screaming and yelling, making my sister even more scared than she would have been), he was waiting at the bottom of a ramp with a certificate that made me seriously jealous. It says "I escaped becoming the 1,000th ghost!" and it has a picture of the HHGs and her name and the date. I'll post a picture of it soon, I just got home and haven't had a chance to upload anything. It's SERIOUSLY cool.
    dreams. come. true.

• The Ghost Relations Dept.

This photo is also heavily doctored from its original. I think I sent that one to you HBG2. The original photo actually doesn't have quite the same black background and you can see under the base he is standing on. The photo was taken to document the figure. Similar photos were taken of all figures in the Mansion from different sides.

Quote Originally Posted by GRD999 View Post

This photo is also heavily doctored from its original. I think I sent that one to you HBG2. The original photo actually doesn't have quite the same black background and you can see under the base he is standing on. The photo was taken to document the figure. Similar photos were taken of all figures in the Mansion from different sides.
    Yes you did, and before our readers start worrying about how "heavily" doctored this precious relic is, let me hasten to add that I wouldn't use the word "heavily," really. What they did, folks, was airbrush out the clutter on the floor between his feet (electric cords, etc.) and clean up the black background so it would look nice and uniform. They also cropped the bottom so you don't see much of his platform. That's it. I don't see any alterations of any kind to Hattie himself.

By the way, that original is what allows me to say without any hesitation that this is a color photo, since there are several pieces of lumber visible, and they're the familiar soft yellow hues.

Oh, and Bellhop, that's a great story. When Disney does it right, they do it VERY right, you know? Looking forward to seeing that document.

*looks at online names* Gee, don't you guys ever sleep?

Compare and contrast the HM as depicted on older souvenir maps (this one is 1965) and later ones (this particular one is 1975)

The '65 one looks like it could be Sam McKim. They knew they were going beyond the berm even then, but they hadn't a clue what the walk-thru they were expecting to build would require, so they didn't even want to guess at a show building. The main thing about this one is, the HM is much more accurately represented than on the later one.

As for the later one, the biggest curiosity is that graveyard winding around back. What is that all about? Were there plans at one point to make the graveyard queue bigger, winding all the way around like that? Probably not. There really isn't room, and they knew that when they put up the building. Shoot, you can see that on the older map. Or is that supposed to be the ride graveyard? After all, the idea is that there's an old public graveyard "out back" but adjacent to the house, and you just can't see from the front. But then what's with the footpath? It's a very intriguing illustration, I must say.

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Yes you did, and before our readers start worrying about how "heavily" doctored this precious relic is, let me hasten to add that I wouldn't use the word "heavily," really. What they did, folks, was airbrush out the clutter on the floor between his feet (electric cords, etc.) and clean up the black background so it would look nice and uniform. They also cropped the bottom so you don't see much of his platform. That's it. I don't see any alterations of any kind to Hattie himself.
    On the topic of his platform, you mentioned that the Disneyland bride always seemed to have one where the WDW version never did. I would doubt it, but is there any chance it's left over from Hattie?

Actually, now that I think about that it's kinda stupid, the programming and wiring for the figures, as minimal as it would be, would likely be so completely different that there would be no point in trying to retrofit her to that box, especially if she could just be pulled and moved to it when he's popped off . . . maybe. A Picture of the original bride would do us some good, just to see if she had a similar platform . . .
    www.BrandonHardy-Art.com

https://www.facebook.com/Brandon.Hardy.Art

"The show's called Pirates of the Caribbean, not Boy Scouts of the Caribbean. They're my babies, you know? I hate to see them fool around with 'em."
    -X. Atencio

"Whether I like it or not doesn't matter. Each new generation has the right to come in and do what they feel is right for the show -- and that's what they did."
    ~Alice Davis

The platform itself isn't something that remains when the figure is removed. There is a wooden base and a metal platform beneath it to house the mechanics. They would have pulled up his wooden base and metal platform and took hers to pop in his spot.

The platform itself isn't something that remains when the figure is removed. There is a wooden base and a metal platform beneath it to house the mechanics. They would have pulled up his wooden base and metal platform and took hers to pop in his spot.
    Except...
    The HBG was so ridiculously simple (as you have pointed out) that I don't see why they would need a metal platform to house the mechanics at all. There were no mechanics. There was an electric wire going up and over to the hatbox for the tiny spotlight inside of it, and there was a motor for vibrating the cane, but that motor was immediately below the plate he stood on. This is crystal clear in the photo we've been discussing, but you can make it out in this tiny schematic as well:

That little motor was literally all the "animatronics" the HBG had. There would have been no need for the usual boxy housing for mechanisms, which even a figure as relatively simple as the bride needed to have:

That's why, in my opinion, yen's conjecture is not far-fetched. Take a look again at the bride's platform:

She stands on a plate, which is visible as slightly yellowish in the above photo. Now here's a shot of the bride in her final weeks (May 2006). The plate has been removed and you can plainly see the simple internal structure of the little platform:

It seems to me that's all the space you would need for the cane vibrating motor, and therefore all the space you would need for the entire HBG figure, which could not have been very heavy. So perhaps when they removed him, they just took him with his plate and left the rest of the platform there, They undoubtedly opened up a hole in the floor for the bride's mechanics to go below, but perhaps they left the frame of the shallow HBG platform in situ, simply because there was no reason to remove it.

Here's why I don't think WDW had anything like that little platform:

The metal platform is in effect for all figures, including something as light weight as the caretakers dog. Its nessecary to have it in place simply because most figures, as simple as they look weigh a lot. A wooden platform would not be able to hold them up. The wood is just there to cover up the open area beneath their feet.

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post

The Marquis/Andrew Jackson's uniform looks awfully close to the Bride for this to be the final weeks.

The metal platform is in effect for all figures, including something as light weight as the caretakers dog. Its nessecary to have it in place simply because most figures, as simple as they look weigh a lot. A wooden platform would not be able to hold them up. The wood is just there to cover up the open area beneath their feet.
    Well, okay. Even though I still have doubts about the HBG being very heavy (there just isn't anything there), it doesn't matter, since the box framework in the photo could easily be the top of the bride's metal frame. (She certainly got one.) The difference between DL and WDW would then be that the frame at DL protruded up above the floor level a bit, necessitating a shallow platform of sorts.

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    The Marquis/Andrew Jackson's uniform looks awfully close to the Bride for this to be the final weeks.
    That's true. I had that photo in with a bunch from May 06, but it's clearly a little older. The hall tree is still behind her, for one thing. Final months, then.