Page 64 of 135 FirstFirst ... 143954616263646566677489114 ... LastLast

Re: Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Episode 4 A New Hope

Sorry for the double post.
    I meant with the HBG it was on doombuggies I get link tomarrow.
    Here come's the bride.
    As long as we live.
    Till death do us part.
    You may kiss the bride.

• We Go On.

^Oh, thanks. I get it.

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by WDITrent View Post
    ^Oh, thanks. I get it.
    You're doing better than I am. PB? English, please.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Count me in on that one, HBG2...I still don't understand.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• We Go On.

I believe what PhantomBoy is trying to say is that he saw something on Doombuggies.com about the Hat Box Ghost coming for the 40th anniversary, and now we just have to wait for him to show up... I think.

• Banned User

I wonder if Doombuggies have any new info, or just repeating what we already hashed over?

Semi-Super Post

Still more info is coming over my transom. As usual, can't tell you anything. Let's just say that the story isn't over yet.

Speaking of anonymous sources, an entirely different one sent me an interesting email. This is a Disney employee who worked at WDW for a time and did some snooping around. (No, it isn't GRD.) I'll share a couple of the more interesting findings. Definitely "Long-Forgotten" material, folks.

Ravens

No doubt many of you (and probably most of you) know that the raven who squawks at you as you descend from the attic to the graveyard is positioned differently at DL and WDW. The DL raven is directly overhead in the branches at the point that you tilt back dramatically. The WDW raven is over on the right and you encounter it much sooner:

How come? Well, originally the WDW raven was positioned exactly like the DL one, but it was moved in the early 80's for the saddest of reasons: "guest abuse."

Graveyard Pop-up Choreography

There are communication cables running back and forth to the lights for each graveyard popup, indicating that the lights went on and off for each one individually, probably "on" when they popped and "off" as they dropped.

Better still, the Disneyland popups are timed to come up between verses of "Grim Grinning Ghosts." Has anyone ever noticed this? Yep, during the part that goes "grim grinning ghosts come out to socialiiiiiiiiiize," that's when they pop up. As we know, they used to scream and shriek and squeal as they popped, so my source thinks the idea was for the popups to do their thing at the end of each verse.

That may explain the alternate title for GGG, "The Screaming Song."

Well, I decided to test my source's theory by listening to a 1976 audiotape ridethru I've got. At that time the popups were still shrieking. Sure enough, the various wails and screams happen to occur as the verses are trailing off!

When did they abandon this careful choreography? Well, it was still functioning that way at DL at least until the latter part of the seventies, and when they built Tokyo DL in the early 80s the idea was not used. Their popups are timed to come up at random, uncoordinated with the music. So we know they didn't care about it any more by then, anyway.

There's a lot to ponder in this one. The popups lost their individual illuminations as they rise and fall, they lost their voices, and in the process, they lost their choreographed connection to the rest of the jamboree. The thing about the stick-head popups that many people don't like is not the head but the stick, with its cheesy gown. Perhaps it wasn't so visible in the old days, with the individual spotlighting. And the choreography made for a humorous "Boo!" at the end of each verse of GGG.

• We Go On.

^Aw, I wish I could have seen that. Why did they get rid of it, and what kind of guest abuse was the WDW raven moved for?

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Semi-Super Post

Still more info is coming over my transom. As usual, can't tell you anything. Let's just say that the story isn't over yet.

Speaking of anonymous sources, an entirely different one sent me an interesting email. This is a Disney employee who worked at WDW for a time and did some snooping around. (No, it isn't GRD.) I'll share a couple of the more interesting findings. Definitely "Long-Forgotten" material, folks.

Ravens

No doubt many of you (and probably most of you) know that the raven who squawks at you as you descend from the attic to the graveyard is positioned differently at DL and WDW. The DL raven is directly overhead in the branches at the point that you tilt back dramatically. The WDW raven is over on the right and you encounter it much sooner:

How come? Well, originally the WDW raven was positioned exactly like the DL one, but it was moved in the early 80's for the saddest of reasons: "guest abuse."

Graveyard Pop-up Choreography

There are communication cables running back and forth to the lights for each graveyard popup, indicating that the lights went on and off for each one individually, probably "on" when they popped and "off" as they dropped.

Better still, the Disneyland popups are timed to come up between verses of "Grim Grinning Ghosts." Has anyone ever noticed this? Yep, during the part that goes "grim grinning ghosts come out to socialiiiiiiiiiize," that's when they pop up. As we know, they used to scream and shriek and squeal as they popped, so my source thinks the idea was for the popups to do their thing at the end of each verse.

That may explain the alternate title for GGG, "The Screaming Song."

Well, I decided to test my source's theory by listening to a 1976 audiotape ridethru I've got. At that time the popups were still shrieking. Sure enough, the various wails and screams happen to occur as the verses are trailing off!

When did they abandon this careful choreography? Well, it was still functioning that way at DL at least until the latter part of the seventies, and when they built Tokyo DL in the early 80s the idea was not used. Their popups are timed to come up at random, uncoordinated with the music. So we know they didn't care about it any more by then, anyway.

There's a lot to ponder in this one. The popups lost their individual illuminations as they rise and fall, they lost their voices, and in the process, they lost their choreographed connection to the rest of the jamboree. The thing about the stick-head popups that many people don't like is not the head but the stick, with its cheesy gown. Perhaps it wasn't so visible in the old days, with the individual spotlighting. And the choreography made for a humorous "Boo!" at the end of each verse of GGG.

The raven at TDL is in the same position as WDWs. I wonder why.

• Banned User

Dang. That's intriguing. Wish you could give us a hint...

What happened? Idiots throwing stuff at the raven? Morons screwing with the rides should be barred for life.

• The Ghost Relations Dept.

The popups at WDW still pop up after every verse of GGG. I wish they had screams still though. There is an old audio file of a test of the Singing Busts, after each verse is a different graveyard scream. Makes sense now.

I got the impression that my Source was working from documents. "Guest Abuse" may be all that was written.

I'm still geeking out about the popups. Seems to me, whether you've always hated 'em, loved 'em, or even if you've always been indifferent toward 'em, this new info has got to change how you look at 'em. They were originally the...

visual exclamation marks

...at the end of every verse of "Grim Grinning Ghosts." They probably looked better, too, with more controlled lighting.

Kick 'em up a notch or two on your respect-o-meter.

Incidentally, you can hear for yourself how it sounded by listening to the "Story and Song" album. In the graveyard, as the narrator is describing the scene, listen to the background music starting from the point where the narrator says, "There was a king and a queen balancing a teeter-totter on a gravestone..." and you'll hear two or three examples of popup outbursts strategically placed at the end of GGG verses.

If you've been trying to make it through life without any kind of copy of that album, you can hear the whole thing on a file on this page:
    DoomBuggies > Explore the history and marvel at the mystery of Disney's Haunted Mansion attractions!

• Mr. Ghost

There is something still bothering me ever since I rode back in July of '95...
    I swore that there was a couple dancing in mid-air to the left of the grand chandelier. But, I have never seen pictures of said couple on any HM website.
    Were they there, Were they temporary? Or was I seeing things? This is so frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Fenwright View Post
    There is something still bothering me ever since I rode back in July of '95...
    I swore that there was a couple dancing in mid-air to the left of the grand chandelier. But, I have never seen pictures of said couple on any HM website.
    Were they there, Were they temporary? Or was I seeing things? This is so frustrating.
    No such thing has ever existed.

Any reason why they didn't bring back the graveyard pop-up screams for the WDW rehab? It would add to the graveyard ambience and probably mask the hissing sounds. "Too scary" doesn't really make sense as an answer, since the attic pop-ups were screamers the whole time they were there.
    Bring back the screams!