Page 65 of 135 FirstFirst ... 15556263646566676875115 ... LastLast

• A Honorary Autobot

Re: Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Episode 4 A New Hope

There is the couple drinking on the chandelier with Pickwick. But they're not so much dancing as they are drunkenly swaying...

• Mr. Ghost

maybe it was me not wearing my glasses at the time, maybe I was seeing the duelists, but when I can get hooked up to a scanner, I get up a drawing of what I might have seen.

• Legends never die...

Even if you are wrong, Mr.Fenwright, you're not alone. I have a childhood memory for some reason, of seeing a totally different Ballroom where ALL of the dancers were floating in the air. (Which, by the way, would look AMAZING!)
    My Inspirations:
    Thurl Ravenscroft and Paul Frees
    AND
    Robert and Richard Sherman

• Inhospitable about happy

There have been a number of posts on the Threads, actually, that basically say, "Didn't there used to be XYZ? I swear that when I was a kid XYZ was in the Haunted Mansion." Even in cases where XYZ is patently impossible (i.e., no glass panes in the ballroom), the conviction is hard to shake off.

It's theoretically possible that they built a turntable and installed it on the upper balcony platform and put a set of dancers on it, which would involve a massive relighting in that area and a great deal of effort to avoid blocking the view of the duelists; and it's theoretically possible that they did all this around 1995, and then decided they didn't like it and pulled it out, all within such a short space of time that no photographs of it have circulated among HM enthusiasts, and no one remembers it; and it's theoretically possible that a HM FAQ done in 1996 that carefully mentions all the changes made during the big refurb the year before would say nothing about it...

but...
    Last edited by HBG2; 04-20-2009 at 09:47 AM.

• Legends never die...

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    There have been a number of posts on the Threads, actually, that basically say, "Didn't there used to be XYZ? I swear that when I was a kid XYZ was in the Haunted Mansion." Even in cases where XYZ is patently impossible (i.e., no glass panes in the ballroom), the conviction is hard to shake off.

It's theoretically possible that they built a turntable and installed it on the upper balcony platform and put a set of dancers on it, which would involve a massive relighting in that area and a great deal of effort to avoid blocking the view of the duelists; and it's theoretically possible that they did all this around 1995, and then decided they didn't like it and pulled it out, all within such a short space of time that no photographs of it have circulated among HM enthusiasts, and no one remembers it; and it's theoretically possible that a HM FAQ done in 1996 that carefully mentions all the changes made during the big refurb the year before would say nothing about it...

but...
    You, sir, are FAR too good at cleverly messing with my head... My understanding of what you just said is neither here nor there. But if you're saying what I think you are... the memory I have is from an old 90's video about the parks...
    My Inspirations:
    AND

• whatever

Quote Originally Posted by Outlander View Post
    You, sir, are FAR too good at cleverly messing with my head... My understanding of what you just said is neither here nor there. But if you're saying what I think you are... the memory I have is from an old 90's video about the parks...
    One thing that can eliminate this theory right off the bat is if you remember seeing the dancers straight ahead of your viewing area. We usually remember things visually, so if you remember the dancers straight in front of you, then they never actually existed. They can't have any type of pepper's ghost effect straight in front of you; it won't work. But if you remember them above or floating below, it's possible. If it wasn't the actual attraction you remember them from, and it was definitely a video, they can edit it to look like anything. I recall a video where they took pepper's ghost footage from the ballroom and reprinted them over exterior footage of the HM to make it look as if they were all coming joining a party in the HM.

What I'm saying is that some things are flat-out impossible, and other things are theoretically possible but so highly improbable that they carry an enormous burden of proof. I was just reminding us all that claiming to have a clear memory of something doesn't count as proof, since there have been people who are adamant about remembering things that are in the flat-out impossible category.

Remember, "Memory is the most convincing of liars."

By the way, I am NOT criticizing Fenwright's or your posts as silly or inappropriate. Not at all. You've put very reasonable qualifications on your reports, and this is a very good place to find out if anyone else has a similar memory, or knows of some evidence.

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

Even if you are wrong, Mr.Fenwright, you're not alone. I have a childhood memory for some reason, of seeing a totally different Ballroom where ALL of the dancers were floating in the air. (Which, by the way, would look AMAZING!)
    Are you sure that maybe you aren't mixing your memories of the movies Anistasia (the "Once Upon A December" scene in the palace) with your memories of seeing the ballroom for the first time? It's an easy one to make...I mean, Doombuggies.com even says how it's an [unconfirmed] allusion to the ride, and the color pallates are very similar. I could see how those could be blurred in your mind, quite easily.

Quote Originally Posted by hauntedmotion View Post
    .... We usually remember things visually, so if you remember the dancers straight in front of you, then they never actually existed. ....
    Sidenote to bolded: Memories vary by how the person learns. Kinetic learners will remember the action of sitting and watching; visual learners by what was seen; auditory learners will recall the noise, which may trigger rememberance of other things also. One way to easily find out what sort of learner you are is to think about what you recall from your earliest memory--if it is just color, or if it's a sound, or an action or physical feeling, or a combination of them. The world's most amazing substitue teacher taught me that
    dreams. come. true.

• HauntedOne999

Remember, "Memory is the most convincing of liars."
    I agree... when I was a CM, I cant tell you how many people would insist that the Opera House was the Hall of Presidents or that the Enchanted Tiki Room served full meals.

Heck I even had this one women yell at me and say that they completely redid IASW, changed all the dolls, and redesigned the facade insisting it was down for 2 years.
    Known in most other circles as "HauntedOne999"

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow!"

Disneyland CM Dec. 2005 - May 2007

• is too darn hot.

Today's "Epic Win" featured on the Once Upon a Win blog, one of the many blogs in the I Can Has Cheezburger sphere, is "Disney's Haunted Mansion." Thought that was interesting. It features a pic of WDW's mansion and a video of DL's.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• Legends never die...

By the way, I am NOT criticizing Fenwright's or your posts as silly or inappropriate. Not at all. You've put very reasonable qualifications on your reports, and this is a very good place to find out if anyone else has a similar memory, or knows of some evidence.
    Thank you SO much for being helpful and courteous. I feel like people look down their noses on here so often.

Quote Originally Posted by BellhopPrincess View Post
    Are you sure that maybe you aren't mixing your memories of the movies Anistasia (the "Once Upon A December" scene in the palace) with your memories of seeing the ballroom for the first time? It's an easy one to make...I mean, Doombuggies.com even says how it's an [unconfirmed] allusion to the ride, and the color pallates are very similar. I could see how those could be blurred in your mind, quite easily.
    I only watched that once, but watching it again, I wonder if you are right. It matches my memory quite well. Only difference is I remember the dancers staying in the air and a narrator talking about how the dancers are underneath the ride track. Weird. A HM ballroom that looked like the Anastasia one would be fantastic and eerie... not that I'm dissatisfied with current ones.
    My Inspirations:
    AND

• The Ghost Relations Dept.

In Eastern Mansion news, the Stretch Room scrims were cleaned last night. The detail seen now is amazing. The ceiling fully disappears and it looks beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post
    Today's "Epic Win" featured on the Once Upon a Win blog, one of the many blogs in the I Can Has Cheezburger sphere, is "Disney's Haunted Mansion." Thought that was interesting. It features a pic of WDW's mansion and a video of DL's.
    That's very cool.

I only watched that once, but watching it again, I wonder if you are right. It matches my memory quite well. Only difference is I remember the dancers staying in the air and a narrator talking about how the dancers are underneath the ride track. Weird. A HM ballroom that looked like the Anastasia one would be fantastic and eerie... not that I'm dissatisfied with current ones.
    I've never seen the movie, so I scratched around on Youtube until I found the clip Bellhop was talking about. That's really an interesting sequence, and yes, very reminiscent of the ballroom.

--------------------------------------

The graveyard is so densely packed visually and aurally that it's not surprising that there are things that just about get lost in the crowd, and it takes a long, long time to explore it all. Here are two examples.

I mentioned the Brick-Arm guy once before as an example of "wrong-way" ghosting, along with the door knocking ghosts in the CoD. They're trying to get away from us, rather than out to us. With the Brick-Arm guy, though, it's the punch line of a joke that's probably too subtle for anyone to get.

There are three bricked-up crypts in the graveyard that are flexing and bulging, as if something inside was pushing to get out. The first two are fairly close together. They're both on your left side between the royal teeter-totter scene and the teaparty. Somebody got stuck on the HM right in front of the first one, with the service lights on, so you can get an excellent look at it in this video. It's got a simple triangular pediment:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbEtERVENzo]YouTube - Stuck on Haunted Mansion (service lights on)[/ame]

The second one has a fancier top and comes just before the teaparty. There is a good clear shot of it in the Sandy Duncan HM skit:

The third one is to the right of the teaparty gang, before the mummy set.

(pic by Jeff, SCL photography)

So by the time you get to Brick-Arm guy, you're supposed to be used to seeing these bricked-up crypts with ghosts eagerly trying to get out. Finding one at the end whose sentiments are exactly the opposite is supposed to be a comical twist, but the careful build-up for the joke is something that few, if any, catch.

Here's another one. How many of you are aware of the animation of the two owls over the band? They've got spooky, glowing eyes, and they hoot enthusiastically, but I have to confess that I never really noticed their animation until recently.

The hooting is a double hooting ("who-whoo-uh, who-whoo-uh"), since there are two of them. But as they hoot their necks extend upward. Sometimes a photographer is lucky enough to catch them at just the right moment, with one up and the other one down.

That video embedded above gives you a rare look at the owls in action, with their necks popping up and down ever so slightly:

This gag goes directly back to Marc Davis. Check out his concept art.

Just one of the millions of details that most people will never notice.
    Last edited by HBG2; 04-20-2009 at 09:43 PM.

• Mr. Ghost

This is a quick drawing, the couple in question should be as the same size and the same height as the two on the chandelier. (I guess a crude drawing is better than nothing, a better one can be posted)

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by GRD999 View Post
    In Eastern Mansion news, the Stretch Room scrims were cleaned last night. The detail seen now is amazing. The ceiling fully disappears and it looks beautiful.
    Kudos to the Orlando management for taking great care of the Mansion for the last year and a half. I've poured lavish praise on their HM ever since.

I sure wish they would take the same pride when it comes to the resort as a whole, though. I don't understand why they've done right by the Mansion, but neglected other corners of WDW