Page 66 of 135 FirstFirst ... 164156636465666768697691116 ... LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Episode 4 A New Hope

So by the time you get to Brick-Arm guy, you're supposed to be used to seeing these bricked-up crypts with ghosts eagerly trying to get out. Finding one at the end whose sentiments are exactly the opposite is supposed to be a comical twist, but the careful build-up for the joke is something that few, if any, catch.
    Good point, never thought about that. But the guy or creature trying to brick himself in is a good stand-alone gag, too.

I just saw that Patrick Hurd of Window to the Magic has his "Story of the Haunted Mansion" video podcast coming May 1st, 2009. I am going to be interested to see how the story goes since we all have different ideas of how the mansions history played out.

info: A WindowtotheMagic - THE Disney Audio Adventure Show :: View topic - The Show with Patrick! - Episode 6 - RELEASE INFO IS HERE!!!

I can't wait to see the debating that will happen over what is cannon.

Disclosure: I am also excited to see the final product since I did some art for the production.

One more thing about the owls scenario that I've always appreciated is that they just aren't hooting at any time but only when the musician trumpets with those particular notes he plays - which further results in the harpist then looking up at them.

• The Useless Prince

Blog Entries

The gong is finally lit up in the seance room
    Last edited by Hilsbro; 04-22-2009 at 04:01 PM.

• Mr. Ghost

What an interesting read those first 3 threads were, which leads me to an observation, what if Hatbox Ghost was'nt removed because of the effect not working, what if he was removed because someone complained? Think about it, there was a series of horrific murders just a few days before. Could this be the true reason for Hatbox's disappearing act?

• The Ghost Relations Dept.

No.

MR.FENWRIGHT...Why would anyone blame one AA ghost in one ride at Disneyiand for the charles manson murders?

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by Hilsbro View Post
    The gong is finally lit up in the seance room
    Glad to hear it. It's the Sťance circle prop that don't get no respect.

Quote Originally Posted by GRD999 View Post
    No.
    What he said.

----------------------

Random items. I mentioned back on T2 how similar the "Good Old Fred" headstone at WDW is to the original "Phineas Pock" headstone at DL. Therein lies a twisted tale of cross-pollination between the two American Mansions.

There was no "Good Old Fred" stone at DL originally. It wasn't one of the original eight. But when they made it for WDW, they copied the DL "Phineas Pock" stone slavishly. How slavishly? Check out the top two pix in this montage.

When they tore out the original DL queue, they offered the stones to the Imagineers to whom they paid tribute. Phineas was fictitious, however, so they put him up on the berm in the new graveyard. But with all the other stones now gone, they needed new ones for that berm graveyard. They decided to do "Good Old Fred," now to be installed at DL at long last. Problem was, they had Phineas up there. They couldn't just copy the WDW one and put it next to PP, since they were so similar.

So when they made up a GOF for the DL berm, ironically, they had to make it look a little different so that it wouldn't look funny next to the very stone that served as a model for the original WDW GOF. That's the DL berm GOF on the bottom row. You can see that the design is slightly altered.

----------------------

And......another very random factoid. The howling dog sound effect outside of WDW? Original or not original?

Not original. It was added in 1973. Hey, you don't get much more random than that.

• The Ghost Relations Dept.

And that is why that area of the river is referred to as Howling Dog Bend.

• Mr. Ghost

Quote Originally Posted by mansionman View Post
    MR.FENWRIGHT...Why would anyone blame one AA ghost in one ride at Disneyiand for the charles manson murders?
    I was'nt tying the Hatbox Ghost to Manson, I was just speculating why he just disappeared within a few weeks. I guess it's just one explanation as to why an AA would just vanish quietly. I was not trying to offend anybody, it's just that the thought had crossed my mind briefly.
    Last edited by Mr.Fenwright; 04-22-2009 at 07:36 PM. Reason: re- wording

OK...just asking.

• Inhospitable about happy

The posts on these Threads that probe for the background to individual ghosties in history or folklore or literature have been popular posts. So far, we've found

--The Phantom Drummer of Tedworth behind the Phantom Five,
    --The Brown Lady of Raynham behind the attic bride,
    --The ghost story of Pliny the Younger behind Gus,
    --The Coach-a-Bower, or Death Coach, behind the graveyard hearse.

Sometimes the inspiration is so obvious that it's hardly worth talking about. For example, the hitchhiking ghosts are based on innumerable urban legends and ghost stories about ghostly hitchhikers going back to horse-and-buggy days, Master Gracey is based on the Picture of Dorian Gray, and the raven goes back to Edgar Allan Poe.

But often the connection is not obvious, and you have to trace the HM ghostie back through a long evolution in order to find its original inspiration.

This one is surprisingly different. The decapitated knight.

We know that this one must have been a real favorite of Marc Davis, since he tried so hard to find a way to get him into the HM. He tried three different concepts for the decapitated knight before hitting on the fourth (adding him to the executioner and prisoner pair, making a threesome). I did a post on this back in T1:

Long-forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect?

If you start looking for the origins of the "decapitated knight" figure, you strike paydirt right away. He goes back to Celtic mythology and shows up in medieval literature, most famously Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, which was written about 1350.

What's weird about this one is that it isn't a ghostly figure by any stretch. There's this literary motif called the "Beheading Game." Basically, it goes like this:

A stranger shows up at the court and challenges them to behead him, on the condition that he be allowed to do the same at some future point in his own court. The hero of the tale accepts the challenge and beheads the stranger, who does not die but returns home. Later, the hero keeps his promise and goes to the foreign court, encountering numerous tests and trials in the process, opportunities for him to prove his chivalry, loyalty, honesty, etc. The stranger either lets him off the hook or goes ahead and beheads him, after which he cheerfully returns home, none the worse for wear.

What's bizarre about this motif is how popular it was. Sir Gawain and the Green Knight is the most famous example, but the same motif is used in other medieval poems and romances going back to the 8th century.

Beheading Game
    Sir Gawain and the Green Knight - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Since the beheadings don't kill anybody in these stories, the presence of the beheading game immediately signals that the literature you're reading is fantasy or myth. Like I said, a popular interpretation is that it goes back to pagan Celtic mythology, probably something about the turning of the year, as the new year slays the old year, only to be slain himself after the passing of a year. Naturally, Freud has his own ideas about what this chopping is all about, and other interpretations abound. Sir Gawain is amenable to Christian interpretations, for example.

Point is, the decapitated knight as a fixture in Western consciousness is not rooted in ghost tales at all but in myth and fantasy. In his origins, he was not a frightening figure.

Wave bye bye

Last edited by HBG2; 04-23-2009 at 11:54 AM.

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

Very interesting, HBG!
    dreams. come. true.

• Banned User

Hopefully he will soon be joined by another (intermittently) headless gentleman...

• Mr. Ghost

I came up with two possible ways make Hatbox work, 1: There used to be a mirror behind the old bride, so make that mirror a two way, and put the regular head behind it in a box that illuminates the first head, next put a privacy screen in front of that mirror so you can have the Hatbox AA behind it seen in reflection, so when his head disappears, the light in the mirror can go off and the one in the hatbox can light up. The only problem I can see is most people may not be able to see the mirror gag. The second way involves lighting up Hatbox's main head from the inside, and match this light with the figures luminosity. Think of it like an LED illumination inside a blow mold Snowman decoration, and how bright it can be. But I don't know the duration of the attic scene, so you could put him where the doombuggies first come in, and set him back a few feet. ( I have no Idea how far.)