Page 67 of 135 FirstFirst ... 17576465666768697077117 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 2011

• The Ghost Relations Dept.

Re: Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Episode 4 A New Hope

You apparently haven't been reading these threads too well have-ye?

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Fenwright View Post
    There used to be a mirror behind the old bride
    Huh?

• Haunted Mansion Fanatic

Hey everyone! Long time lurker here, first time poster here in this thread. I just wanted to say that kudos to everyone here to contribute to this wonderful thread, especially Dan and GRD for all their contributions. Incidentally, the two might know as The Ghost Host from over on the Doombuggies boards.

Since its my first post here, I decided to weighed in with just random information. Not really pertaining to the mansion itself, but to the talents behind some. Being a huge fan of voice actors and studio singers in general, one of my favorite aspects of the mansion are the graveyard singers. Even though so many people might know Paul Frees, Eleanor Audley, or Thurl and their work for the mansion, I feel many tend to overlook the talents behind the graveyard singers, and realize just how talented many of them were in their own right. Each singer adds their own distinct variation of GGG, and after WDW's replacement of some of the graveyard vocals with newer ones (which I feel seem a bit blander and not as unique), I feel they deserve more recognition then they get sometime. Only a fool with no life would attempt to delve into each person, so here I go.

First are the duke and duchess drinking wine at a small table and singing in thick British accents. The duchess is voiced by Betty Wand, a long time Hollywood singing dubber. Not much I can find on Miss Wand, but from what I've found her credits includes a vocal dubber for Leslie Caron in Gigi, for South Pacific, and for Rita Moreno in West Side Story. She also worked as a steady chorus singer at MGM, and sung backup for Frank Sinatra, Judy Garland, and Harry Belafonte. She also sings for one of the female birds in the Enchanted Tiki Room.

The duke is voiced by Bill Lee, a multi-talented, but seldom talked about, Disney singer and voice actor. For the group's entire formation from the 1940s to the 70s, Lee was the baritone singer for the Mello Men quartet, singing on the soundtracks for Alice In Wonderland, Peter Pan, Lady And The Tramp, Sleeping Beauty, 101 Dalmatians, Mary Poppins and The Jungle Book. The Mello Men also sang with many popular stars of the day, including Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra and Rosemary Clooney. Lee also had a career outside the Mello Men as a solo singer and dubber. He dubbed Christopher Plummer as the singing voice of Capt Von Trapp in The Sound Of Music, and Lt Cable in South Pacific. Lee also sang in the choruses for Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln, Enchanted Tiki Room, and Pirates Of Caribbean. Besides the duke's voice, Lee's other solo moments for the Disney parks include Roger's singing voice in 101 Dalmatians, the Bing Crosby impression during Let's All Sing Like The Birdies Sing for the Enchanted Tiki Room, the voice of Melvin The Moose in Country Bear Jamboree, and one of the geese quartet for America Sings.

The next group includes the mummy and old man.

The mummy is voiced by Allan Davies (second from the right). Davies was a singer for the well-known vocal group the Pied Pipers in the 1950s, making numerous appearances on television and movies, and backing up many popular recording artists. He also was a regular vocalist for The Johnny Mann Singers, and sang backup for Eartha Kitt and Fess Parker. In the 1960s, Davies worked as a choral arranger for Disney with Buddy Baker, his two most notable projects being the Mansion and Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln, as well as singing in the chorus. In the 1980s, he contributed to Disney again, this time as a music contractor for the new soundtracks for the dark rides in the New Fantasyland. Davies can also be heard on the soundtracks for Mary Poppins and Seven Brides For Seven Brothers.

The old man is voiced by Dallas McKennon (pictured with Fess Parker), a prolific voice actor for both Disney and other studios. McKennon appeared on screen in dozens of films and television shows. He's perhaps best known for his voice work, including his long career as the voice of Gumby. For Disney, McKennon's credits include one of the pound dogs in Lady And The Tramp, the owl hooting in Sleeping Beauty, and the fox in Mary Poppins. For the theme parks, McKennon can be heard as the voice of Zeke in Country Bear Jamboree, Ben Franklin for Epcot's The American Adventure, and perhaps his best known "This here is the wildest ride in the wilderness!" for Big Thunder Mountain.

Next up is the opera singers, the soprano voiced by Loulie Jean Norman, the tenor by Bill Reeve.

More than any other singer, Loulie has probably had the greatest brush with fame. Her credits include as a backup singer for Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby, Judy Garland, Ray Charles, Nat King Cole, Randy Newman, Dean Martin, and many, many others. Her other contributions in the industry include a chorus singer on many Hollywood musicals, and as a regular vocalist for the Ray Conniff Singers. Perhaps her best known work however remains as the singer of the Flipper theme song, the background soprano for The Tokens' famous hit The Lion Sleeps Tonight, and as the soprano who warbles out the theme to the Star Trek television series. For Disney, Loulie sang with the chorus for Alice In Wonderland and Peter Pan, and for Great Moments With Mr Lincoln and the Carousel of Progress. She can be also heard as one of the voices for Bunny, Bubbles, and Beulah in Country Bear Jamboree. Coincidentally, before the Mansion, Loulie worked with Paul Frees on a Spike Jones horror-comedy themed album A Spooktacular In Screaming Sound. Frees voices Dracula, while Loulie provided the voice and vocals for Vampira.

Bill Reeve sang as the tenor singer in the graveyard. Not much I've managed to uncover for Reeve other than the mansion, except for him as a chorus singer for the Enchanted Tiki Room, Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln, and America Sings. Reeve also work for MGM as a chorus singer on numerous movie musicals, and backed up Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby, Harry Belafonte, Dean Martin, and Fess Parker in the 1950s and 60s.

After them, is the medieval trio. Ernie Newton provided the thick German accent for the decapitated knight. Newton's work includes as a Hollywood studio singer also for MGM for many musicals in the 1940s and 50s, and as a backup singer for Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby, and Judy Garland. Newton also provided the singing voice of Boo-Boo for the special Hey There, It's Yogi Bear. His other vocal work for Disney includes Great Moments With Mr Lincoln, and as the voice of Pierre in the Enchanted Tiki Room, and several singing pirates with Thurl and Frees in the burning city for Pirates Of The Caribbean.

The executioner is voice by Bill Days (pictured at far left, with a very young Thurl there too at far right). Days' high pitched voice is the one many mistake as the "voice of Mickey." Days worked with Thurl starting back in the 1930s, when both of them were vocalists for The Sportsmen quartet. The Sportsmen appeared in movies and on many popular radio shows at the time, including on the soundtrack of Pinocchio. While Thurl left the group for service in WWII, Days continued to stay with the quartet all the way into the 50s, where he backed up Bing Crosby on many songs, and appeared as regulars on The Jack Benny Show. I haven't been able to find if he's done other things for Disney other than the Mansion.

And finally, last but not least, the great Candy Candido who was briefly talked about earlier, as the voice of the gravelly prisoner/Gus. Candy was a bass player in the 1930s and 40s, and a well-known personality himself on radio with Jimmy Durante, and as an actor in films. Candido later became a voice actor, mostly for Disney. Some of his best-known parts include the angry apple tree in Wizard Of Oz, the Indian Chief in Peter Pan, one of Maleficent's goons in Sleeping Beauty, the Captain of the Guards in Robin Hood, and Fidget in The Great Mouse Detective.

So there's my (semi) short tribute to all the graveyard vocal artist. While they might not be as much talked about as say Frees and Audley's performances, I think their distinct performances bring life to the characters in the graveyard, and showing their great talent and background in other forms of entertainment.

And I'll be sure to stick around to this thread and look out for any more HM information that could be found on here, which there never seems to be a limited supply of.
    Last edited by TightropeGirlLover; 04-24-2009 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Adding more info and editing spelling

• Mr. Ghost

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Fenwright View Post
    I came up with two possible ways make Hatbox work, 1: There used to be a mirror behind the old bride, so make that mirror a two way, and put the regular head behind it in a box that illuminates the first head, next put a privacy screen in front of that mirror so you can have the Hatbox AA behind it seen in reflection, so when his head disappears, the light in the mirror can go off and the one in the hatbox can light up. The only problem I can see is most people may not be able to see the mirror gag. The second way involves lighting up Hatbox's main head from the inside, and match this light with the figures luminosity. Think of it like an LED illumination inside a blow mold Snowman decoration, and how bright it can be. But I don't know the duration of the attic scene, so you could put him where the doombuggies first come in, and set him back a few feet. ( I have no Idea how far.)
    Let me clarify, If I may, I remember seeing an antique full length stand up mirror behind the old bride in an old video from either 2001 or 2002. I think personally that would be a great gag, having used my ghost only seen in a mirror on one Halloween test. I know there are probably a wide range of ideas, but these are my ideas. But as for having Hatbox seen when you first come into the attic, I think that builds up to seeing Constance, making the gag even greater. but again that's my idea. Others may think this is stupid on my part, to even suggest these ideas and changes.

TightropeGirlLover,

What an impressive and informative post! VERY good job!

Wow.

A classic post. Wonderful research and photos. If there's anyone likely to appreciate the myriad contributions of these "bit players" in the HM, it's the readership of these Threads. Thanks a million.

• Banned User

That old dark house at the end of the dimly lit street.

What a great post Tightropegirllover! At the moment I cannot introduce myself to these boards like that, all I can really say is, well, here I am. I have only recently discovered these forums, and have been reading up on most of the "Long Lost Haunted Mansion effect" for at least a month. Some of you on the DB forums know me as MasterGracey13 (I decided to use the same screen name )

Thanks for the comments everyone! I'm glad you enjoyed the info. I just find it interesting the ranging careers these singers have had, and the vocal talent they had themselves.

And welcome to the thread MasterGracey13! Nice to see you join over here as well.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Awesome post, TightropeGirlLover! Thank you very much, great info and pics, and I especially enjoyed the section about Candy Candido...he has one of my all time favorite vocal bits in the Mansion, the insanely creepy random laugh right as you exit the turnstyles in the exit crypt. Brilliant post, and glad to have you aboard the Thread.

• Legends never die...

Quote Originally Posted by darkfairycthulu View Post
    Awesome post, TightropeGirlLover! Thank you very much, great info and pics, and I especially enjoyed the section about Candy Candido...he has one of my all time favorite vocal bits in the Mansion, the insanely creepy random laugh right as you exit the turnstyles in the exit crypt. Brilliant post, and glad to have you aboard the Thread.
    One of my favorite bits as well! We always have to stop and hear the laugh. Always thought he had such a cool voice, BUT...
    Quote Originally Posted by TightropeGirlLover View Post

And finally, last but not least, the great Candy Candido who was briefly talked about earlier, as the voice of the gravelly prisoner/Gus. Candy was a bass player in the 1930s and 40s, and a well-known personality himself on radio with Jimmy Durante, and as an actor in films. Candido later became a voice actor, mostly for Disney. Some of his best-known parts include the angry apple tree in Wizard Of Oz, the Indian Chief in Peter Pan, one of Maleficent's goons in Sleeping Beauty, the Captain of the Guards in Robin Hood, and Fidget in The Great Mouse Detective.
    (bold mine) I could have sworn that Candy was the voice of the executioner... seems more fitting, but I may be wrong.

And also, who are and who played the monotone voices that appear in the graveyard recordings?
    My Inspirations:
    Thurl Ravenscroft and Paul Frees
    AND
    Robert and Richard Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by Outlander View Post
    I could have sworn that Candy was the voice of the executioner... seems more fitting, but I may be wrong.
    I thought so too for a long time, but I believe the most authoritative sources are clear that the executioner is the falsetto voice and Gus is the basso profundo. It's a little joke in itself, of course. The confusion is aggravated by the fact that some otherwise reputable sources support the mistaken identifications. I'm too lazy to look up the specifics right now (I need to get to bed, dude), but maybe tomorrow, or maybe GRD will spare me the effort since he probably can name the sources, good and bad, right off the top of his head.

Quote Originally Posted by Outlander View Post
    And also, who are and who played the monotone voices that appear in the graveyard recordings?
    I know for certain that two of the monotone hearse singers are Bill Lee and Betty Wand again, but I'm unsure of who the third is. I've heard it flip flop between identifying the third singer as Bill Reeve, Ernie Newton, or Bill Days. And as GRD stated earlier Allan Davies is the "La La Singer" in the group as well.

And as for the Candy/Executioner thing, I thought it was that way as well for a while, but as HBG said, GRD confirmed it actually is Candy doing Gus' voice and Bill Days voicing the executioner.

The Monotone Chorus consists of: Bill Days, Betty Wand, Ernie Newton and then Allan Davies as the La La singer.

About those executioner/prisoner vocals - I just wanted to add that I wound up getting visual proof as to just which vocal went with which AA figure. On a trip to DL's HM in 2000 my doombuggy managed to stop a couple of times in the graveyard - once being in front of the decapitated knight/executioner (unfortunately the prisoner figure was missing from the ride). I happened to be videotaping in Nightvision and you can see the executioner's mouth movements syncing to Bill Days' audio track.

Quote Originally Posted by HMfanatic View Post
    About those executioner/prisoner vocals - I just wanted to add that I wound up getting visual proof as to just which vocal went with which AA figure. On a trip to DL's HM in 2000 my doombuggy managed to stop a couple of times in the graveyard - once being in front of the decapitated knight/executioner (unfortunately the prisoner figure was missing from the ride). I happened to be videotaping in Nightvision and you can see the executioner's mouth movements syncing to Bill Days' audio track.
    There ya go. Oh, I looked it up, and it's the audio files section at Doombuggies.com that sows confusion in this area. The isolated vocal loops are mislabeled, making Gus the German accented one and the Executioner and Knight the guttural bass and falsetto.